Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Treecko posted:

Nope, definitely talking about SG1, I was just being an rear end.

I have no idea what Sliders is but I might look into it

You better like O'Connell boys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aragosta
May 12, 2001

hiding in plain sight
Took me until 2010 to finally watch SG-1 and Atlantis when loving the original film since it was released. I got to say the series are great. I really loved Harry Maybourne and his whole storyline. His delivery of simple lines like "C'mon Jack" are just wonderful.

Long live King Arkhan the First!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Aragosta posted:

Took me until 2010 to finally watch SG-1 and Atlantis when loving the original film since it was released. I got to say the series are great. I really loved Harry Maybourne and his whole storyline. His delivery of simple lines like "C'mon Jack" are just wonderful.

Long live King Arkhan the First!

Maybourne is so great. Technically an antagonist, but how can you not love him?

Also, that time Carter calls him out for being an idiot, but he does come through and help save the day.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Mayborne is always a fun time, it's Kinsey who is the absolute rear end in a top hat. And he gets his comeuppance, too! :science:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Rappaport posted:

Mayborne is always a fun time, it's Kinsey who is the absolute rear end in a top hat. And he gets his comeuppance, too! :science:

God, that actor (Ronny Cox I think is his name) is such a great bad guy. You love to hate him!

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

I love SG-1 government they are so believable as politicians. I thought it was over the top watching it as it came out but nope just lines right up. Oh the Airforce is full of good people who have high morals and excellent ethics though don't worry. What do you mean don't count the war crimes in Atlantis?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

redshirt posted:

God, that actor (Ronny Cox I think is his name) is such a great bad guy. You love to hate him!

He definitely delivers. And there's even the episode where Jack and Maybourne (misspelled his name earlier) go visit him, and it is both intimidating and hilarious.

Same thing with Ba'al, really (:rip: Cliff Simon), he just turns the smarm up to 11 and has nefarious, world-destroying schemes, but the acting performance is wonderful and you sort of want to like him even though he's definitely a big bad after the horrific torture episode in, I want to say season 6?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

pixaal posted:

I love SG-1 government they are so believable as politicians. I thought it was over the top watching it as it came out but nope just lines right up. Oh the Airforce is full of good people who have high morals and excellent ethics though don't worry. What do you mean don't count the war crimes in Atlantis?

Not sure I agree. I doubt a real life Stargate Command would be anywhere near as moral and good as the one run by Hammond.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Rappaport posted:

He definitely delivers. And there's even the episode where Jack and Maybourne (misspelled his name earlier) go visit him, and it is both intimidating and hilarious.

Same thing with Ba'al, really (:rip: Cliff Simon), he just turns the smarm up to 11 and has nefarious, world-destroying schemes, but the acting performance is wonderful and you sort of want to like him even though he's definitely a big bad after the horrific torture episode in, I want to say season 6?

I freaking love Ba'al. Him having to work with (and show some respect to) Carter just tickles me.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

redshirt posted:

Not sure I agree. I doubt a real life Stargate Command would be anywhere near as moral and good as the one run by Hammond.

I mean the non military people, the government. You know Maybourne and Kinsey basically. They really seem like politicians.I don't think a real life SGC would be anywhere near as ethical as SG-1, Atlantis though yikes do they do some shoot first, make decisions for other planets.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

pixaal posted:

I mean the non military people, the government. You know Maybourne and Kinsey basically. They really seem like politicians.I don't think a real life SGC would be anywhere near as ethical as SG-1, Atlantis though yikes do they do some shoot first, make decisions for other planets.

Agreed.

Relatedly, I loved the arc Woolsley went on, where he started as one of bad government guys but turned into a good guy.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
I enjoyed Stargate as it came out, but when I tried rewatching it a few years ago I got unreasonably angry on an early episode where the natives of a "gravel pit planet" were using shovels and picks completely implausibly. (As if the actors had never dug anything before ever)

Like I can suspend disbelief for the rest of Stargate episodes but that got me mad for some reason.

I'm willing to try again with the rewatch

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

I enjoyed Stargate as it came out, but when I tried rewatching it a few years ago I got unreasonably angry on an early episode where the natives of a "gravel pit planet" were using shovels and picks completely implausibly. (As if the actors had never dug anything before ever)

Like I can suspend disbelief for the rest of Stargate episodes but that got me mad for some reason.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

Give me more context so I can look this up. Early season, late season? What was the overall plot?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

I really liked Jonas & thought season 6 was one of the best ones. Although the Groundhog Day ep was my favorite.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

redshirt posted:

Give me more context so I can look this up. Early season, late season? What was the overall plot?
I think it was season 1, where traveling about was still new uncharted territory.

A little after or before they demonstrate guns, maybe it was a jungle planet and they were just digging gravel.

Yeah that seems familiar.

Quaint Quail Quilt fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jul 18, 2023

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
it might be The First Commandment? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0n5zupK0LPg

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I really liked Jonas & thought season 6 was one of the best ones. Although the Groundhog Day ep was my favorite.

"Window of Opportunity"

The best Stargate episode IMO. As it features the comedy of the series, that no one expects, and then hits you with an emotional gut punch at the end. It's the single best example of how this show could mock itself AND take itself totally serious.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
There's a part of me that has always wanted to visit the post-movie sequel novels because they apparently took a much different direction than the SG1 series did.

As dumb as this sounds, had Stargate the movie been more popular, I sort of imagined that it could have spun off into its own '90s Star Wars" by way of Sliders: The military guys just don't end up on Earth, end up fighting more crazy alien-god stuff for a few movies, and just keep trying to find the address to get them home or back to Abydos.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I think SG-1 really fell off after Season 6. It turned into everyone trying to one-up each other with "witty" dialogue, and I just lost interest in the middle of Season 7.

I'm an overworked middle-aged Dad now with no hobbies. Maybe I should finally finish it just to say that I did.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

SG-1 was a good show, but I think it really fell off after Season 6. It turned into everyone trying to one-up each other with "witty" dialogue that I just lost interest in the middle of Season 7.

I'm an overworked middle-aged Dad now with no hobbies. Maybe I should finally finish it just to say I did.

The cast change up does find itself (just in time to get axed) they finish up the plots threads with 2 movies though! A third was planned but was shelved when Don S Davis died which meant it needed a rewrite to start filming. Still they name a ship after him in Atlantis.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

pixaal posted:

The cast change up does find itself (just in time to get axed) they finish up the plots threads with 2 movies though! A third was planned but was shelved when Don S Davis died which meant it needed a rewrite to start filming. Still they name a ship after him in Atlantis.

RIP Don S Davis. He'll always be my SGC Commander.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

redshirt posted:

RIP Don S Davis. He'll always be my SGC Commander.

Just like the in-joke was that Siler always got electrocuted and whatnot because he was the stunt coördinator, I think it's fantastic that Garland Briggs wound up running the Stargåte program.

Don S. Davis was a hoot in interviews, too, he was a real party fellow

Rappaport fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jul 18, 2023

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

redshirt posted:

Honestly the most unbelievable part of SG-1 is that the US Air Force is just and moral and not a bunch of religious fundies aching to drop bombs on anything labelled "not America"

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
General Hammond was a good 'un

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEDwIAJ_n7E

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Ba'al was a great bad guy, going from being another throw-away rando System Lord and ending as the last man standing after all the other big name Goauld and Replicator robots and ascended energy beings bit the dust, solely because he was the one ancient alien potentate who didn't get high on his own supply and buy into his own propaganda. The one bad guy in the universe that learned that being overly grandiose could actually be a weakness sometimes.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

When's flying in the attack glider and lets out a heart felt "YEEE HAAWWW!"

That's my General.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

One of the least believable things about the show is they kept the Stargate secret from the public.

There's dozens of reasons why that would not work, but consider just the fact that SG teams took a pretty high fatality rate. How are you explaining to widows how your husband was KIA but not in any known conflict?

itry
Aug 23, 2019

pixaal posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amWZaTxE6D0

I think the show could have used more Nerus food reviews. Not many, but man they should have revisited this concept.

Urgo and Nerus cooking contest show :allears:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

itry posted:

Urgo and Nerus cooking contest show :allears:

How have I never seen this before? Who is that guy?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

redshirt posted:

One of the least believable things about the show is they kept the Stargate secret from the public.

There's dozens of reasons why that would not work, but consider just the fact that SG teams took a pretty high fatality rate. How are you explaining to widows how your husband was KIA but not in any known conflict?

Even putting aside the forever war aspect of the military-industrial complex of the US, "Ma'am / Sir, it's classified" is a kind of big gently caress off and don't ask questions answer. And whose mind would go first to ancient portals to other solar systems and snakes in heads?

I mean Wormhole X-treme, sure, but that guy actually was from outer space.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
they also settled quite a few aliens in the USA, like the little girl they found who'd had a goa'uld planet-destorying bomb planted in her

i guess when she grows up and starts dating/interviewing for jobs and stuff she could just say she'd been raised amish or something

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

The girl with a bomb in her was adopted by a member of Stargåte Command, and she's shown as an old woman presumably participating in its operation in the 1969 episode.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Rappaport posted:

Even putting aside the forever war aspect of the military-industrial complex of the US, "Ma'am / Sir, it's classified" is a kind of big gently caress off and don't ask questions answer. And whose mind would go first to ancient portals to other solar systems and snakes in heads?

I mean Wormhole X-treme, sure, but that guy actually was from outer space.

I mean, there's a lot of widows. Surely some of them would demand answers/more info.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

crispix posted:

they also settled quite a few aliens in the USA, like the little girl they found who'd had a goa'uld planet-destorying bomb planted in her

i guess when she grows up and starts dating/interviewing for jobs and stuff she could just say she'd been raised amish or something

I mean, how many people work at SGC daily? Like the cafeteria folks. Hundreds at any one time, thousands over the course of a few years. And no one spoke out about the portal to infinite other worlds?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I suppose the Manhattan project is a bad example since they did have communist spies in there, and they got the death penalty, woof, but that real-world project involved hundreds of people too.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

redshirt posted:

I mean, how many people work at SGC daily? Like the cafeteria folks. Hundreds at any one time, thousands over the course of a few years. And no one spoke out about the portal to infinite other worlds?

if they did people would just think they were crazy and carry on

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
also i would imagine SGC cafeteria workers would be enlisted and have had basic training

there are numerous examples of how dangerous a goa'uld can be in a kitchen :chef:

friggin marriage cake

crispix fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jul 19, 2023

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Rappaport posted:

I suppose the Manhattan project is a bad example since they did have communist spies in there, and they got the death penalty, woof, but that real-world project involved hundreds of people too.

And they were all sequestered on site and hush hushed. Ostensibly SGC folks are just working for the Air Force at Cheyenne Mountain. As we see, they all have regular lives in the real world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

crispix posted:

also i would imagine SGC cafeteria workers would be enlisted and have had basic training

there are numerous examples of how dangerous a goa'uld can be in a kitchen :chef:

friggin marriage cake

That SGC jello