Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

its a race against time as the borg drones attempt to assimilate the replicators before they eat the entire cube but whats this, moya has just starburst onto the scene!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

"A Jaffa priestess presents the child for the Goa'uld, while the other is angry that Maahes - the Egyptian God of Lions - does not simply strike her down. But the God is pleased, and will raise the beautiful child as his own, until it is ready to receive the gift of implantation".

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

blatman posted:

its a race against time as the borg drones attempt to assimilate the replicators before they eat the entire cube but whats this, moya has just starburst onto the scene!

Until the Lexx lumbers into view, and it just ate.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

But what's this? That planetoid in the background appears to be changing shape... It's UNICRON! Unicron has just entered the fight, ladies and gentlemen this is the craziest thing I have ever seen in the history of inter-franchise space combat.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

But, uh-oh, looks like Unicorn put his USB dongle into the Matrix and got a bad case of the Agent Smith's...

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
uh oh looks like agent smith killed john wicks dog and pissed off the american soccer hooligan

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Oh my God that's Dominic Toretto rolling up in a black Charger!

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

BRING IT IN, GUYS!!!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

This got me thinking how SG1 was "our world" until the show began airing in 1997. That is, the "real world" and the "SG1" world were practically the same until the Gate was first opened. For example, many members of the SGC are veterans of the first Gulf War (1991). They have Star Wars and Star Trek, Seinfeld, etc.

However, there is no Gulf War 2 (2003). There is no 9/11, no Katrina, etc.

It's an interesting thematic design. It also is what both grounds SG1 as compared to other sci fi, but also allows the show to tell almost any sci fi story it wants.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Krill and Wraith having a contest to see who is the most emo space vampire.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

redshirt posted:

This got me thinking how SG1 was "our world" until the show began airing in 1997. That is, the "real world" and the "SG1" world were practically the same until the Gate was first opened. For example, many members of the SGC are veterans of the first Gulf War (1991). They have Star Wars and Star Trek, Seinfeld, etc.

However, there is no Gulf War 2 (2003). There is no 9/11, no Katrina, etc.

It's an interesting thematic design. It also is what both grounds SG1 as compared to other sci fi, but also allows the show to tell almost any sci fi story it wants.

Since the movie, probably. Which would explain this interaction in the first season;

People usually omit the last line, but that's the writers announcing to the viewers that they'll be reimagining some things.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I feel blessed to have witnessed The Resurrection of Teal'c on this Good Friday.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Teal'c Is Risen, He Is Risen

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

redshirt posted:

I feel blessed to have witnessed The Resurrection of Teal'c on this Good Friday.

Jesus had a sarcophagus in that cave

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I think we established that Jesus ascended

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

well why not posted:

I think we established that Jesus ascended

i suspect he got beamed out of the cave by thor

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I'm talking literally, in that episode named Demons. The one set in the medieval religious town, and the Unas would show up and collect sacrifices.

Awesome scene. He's bathed by religious ladies, surrounded by candles. Covered in a thin shroud, and left on the altar as they pray for his soul.

And then, LO!

Great episode. I loved Sokar as the bad guy.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

redshirt posted:

I'm talking literally, in that episode named Demons. The one set in the medieval religious town, and the Unas would show up and collect sacrifices.

Awesome scene. He's bathed by religious ladies, surrounded by candles. Covered in a thin shroud, and left on the altar as they pray for his soul.

And then, LO!

Great episode. I loved Sokar as the bad guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIb6AZdTr-A

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

itry posted:

Since the movie, probably. Which would explain this interaction in the first season;

People usually omit the last line, but that's the writers announcing to the viewers that they'll be reimagining some things.

That's an interesting last sentence you wrote because to my personal knowledge I've never intentionally "omitted" the last line - I honestly never knew it existed. I'm pretty sure my region 4 DVD set never had it.

I'm too lazy to start digging through the boxes in my garage to Prove My Self Right On the Internet but I'd like to advance the possibility that there's been a little corporate editing in action and honest people on both sides have experienced things slightly differently.

aardwolf fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Mar 30, 2024

itry
Aug 23, 2019

aardwolf posted:

That's an interesting last sentence you wrote because to my personal knowledge I've never intentionally "omitted" the last line - I honestly never knew it existed. I'm pretty sure my region 4 DVD set never had it.

I'm too lazy to start digging through the boxes in my garage to Prove My Self Right On the Internet but I'd like to advance the possibility that there's been a little corporate editing in action and honest people on both sides have experienced things slightly differently.

Huh. hosed up if true.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

crispix posted:

maybourne is a dick :mad:

rat bastard

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I am watching this for the first time.

I watched episode 1 last night (or the first half of episode 1 as Amazon labels it) and Eps 2-6 so far today.

Episode 4 was sketchy and hilariously the worst episode of the series according to everyone. Because it was so bad I had to check out what people's opinions of it were. Then I found it was written by the same person as TNG's episode 4, which is also the worst episode of THAT series!

However what was most notable to me is Shane from Power Rangers Ninja Storm was in it, a few years before being on Power Rangers. Is this show produced in New Zealand? Am I gonna see more power rangers caneos?

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I am watching this for the first time.

There are SO MANY random cameos. The show was made in Vancouver I think? And I'm jealous that you get to watch it for the first time and also eager to see what you think. It's good!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

God drat episode seven the one with the blue crystal planet was a banger, real powerhouse performance by Richard Dean Anderson.

I haven't watched the original movie in a long time and forgot that bit of his backstory.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

I thought they did a good job of keeping it as part of his backstory without making it his entire personality.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Desert Bus posted:

There are SO MANY random cameos. The show was made in Vancouver I think? And I'm jealous that you get to watch it for the first time and also eager to see what you think. It's good!

Yeah it filmed in Vancouver, so you will see every Canadian west coast character actor appear in it at some point (sometimes multiple points!), and also in all the other sci-fi shows because they're all filmed in Vancouver for some reason.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

I thought they did a good job of keeping it as part of his backstory without making it his entire personality.

When I was in high school I watched a lot of MacGyver on TV Land and I remember hearing or reading that the character was anti gun because that was actually Richard Dean Anderson's personal stand and he never wanted the character to use a gun. So it was jarring to see him actually use one in this show but I'm sure that part of the character background was something he really wanted to portray.

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

I think I read somewhere that this was the entire point of writing this episode - to move on from the Jack O'Neil (that's 1 L) of the movie, and show some early character growth post-Abydos

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah it filmed in Vancouver, so you will see every Canadian west coast character actor appear in it at some point (sometimes multiple points!), and also in all the other sci-fi shows because they're all filmed in Vancouver for some reason.

Vancouver has some nice tax breaks for filming/acting, and has a pretty great local industry devoted for making TV shows

And some nice trees

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Really well used in the mostly comedy episode "Window of Opportunity". That ending packs a punch.

Also touched on with that Retoo kid came through the Gate.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

God drat episode seven the one with the blue crystal planet was a banger, real powerhouse performance by Richard Dean Anderson.

I haven't watched the original movie in a long time and forgot that bit of his backstory.

That episode legitimately felt like it should not have worked, like if for a few strokes of the pen it would have fallen utterly flat. But the glorious bastards made it work. Seeing it really hit home to me that the series was something special.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

I think I read somewhere that this was the entire point of writing this episode - to move on from the Jack O'Neil (that's 1 L) of the movie, and show some early character growth post-Abydos

Vancouver has some nice tax breaks for filming/acting, and has a pretty great local industry devoted for making TV shows

And some nice trees

And gravel pits

The Hambulance
Apr 19, 2011

:20bux:

ASK ME ABOUT MY AWESOME STARTUP IDEA

Pillbug

When I was in high school I watched a lot of MacGyver on TV Land and I remember hearing or reading that the character was anti gun because that was actually Richard Dean Anderson's personal stand and he never wanted the character to use a gun. So it was jarring to see him actually use one in this show but I'm sure that part of the character background was something he really wanted to portray.

I saw an interview with RDA during his SG1 years, and he was still vehemently anti-gun, but he made it a point to mention how much he really enjoyed firing the 249 (with blanks, of course).

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

PittTheElder posted:

On this, I was not prepared for peaceful forest goblin Quark

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Underused character for sure.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

On this, I was not prepared for peaceful forest goblin Quark

Ah poo poo, I knew he looked familiar but I never managed to place him

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I think it’s reasonable to be anti gun for civilians but OK with guns for military purposes, especially with a premise like SG1.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They really love putting Richard Dean Anderson in silly makeup, this old man makeup was hilarious.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

There's not a lot of sex in SG1, and it often has consequences.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
^

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
i watched that episode last year and RDA's acting in it is still lol