Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Please discuss your favorite parts of Stargate SG1.

If you can't think of anything, how about considering how many SG Teams ate it completely and were replaced, and then those replacement ate it too! And we're replaced....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

One of your favorite gifs

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

syntaxfunction posted:

Stargate is a loving awesome series. I never was enraptured with Star Wars, Star Trek fluctuates between fine and awful, but I like Stargate a bunch.

Like don't get me wrong, some episodes are stinkers, and it's campy and schlocky as hell, but as dumb and weird as it is it also feels weirdly grounded. And seeing how everyone grows in knowledge and procedures and stuff is so nice to see.

I love how it might be the unique difference of Jack being friends with Thor that changes all sorts of dynamics.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

syntaxfunction posted:

Even basic stuff like introducing stricter and more specific quarantine procedures, drones for recon before sending teams, etc. It feels realistic.

And then they have penis pistols and it's even better :kimchi:

Indeed. I wish they used the Alpha Site more. If I were in charge, once Alpha Site was up and well running, all Gate traffic for new missions and such would go through it. Earth Gate would be highly restricted.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Overdog posted:

I think they should shut the Stargate project down. Way too dangerous. Every episode is like a near fuckup and those jarheads almost get themselves killed and completely rely on MacGuyver to rig some poo poo to get them back home. But then you see why they want to do missions because life sucks on the base. I mean maybe if they used it for vacations or cheeky romps or whatever but not like this. SHUT THE STARGATE DOWN!

Whatever, Senator Kinsey.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Valko posted:

Most of my friends who grew up watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer didn't know it started as a film.

Teal'c is always great with his nuggets of wisdom.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPKqh9hWsBI

I watched the show many times before ever seeing the film, which I did last fall. Weird movie.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

WHACKO!!!!

This episode (Window of Opportunity) is the best example of why SG1 is so incredible. It's a great episode, a time loop comedic episode, that all of a sudden at the end packs a dramatic punch. The show was funny, could make fun of itself, and yet took itself serious too.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Like Patty and Selma, I've kinda fallen in love with RDA because of Stargate. He's got this adorable personal website someone else maintains for him. https://www.rdanderson.com/

He loved his dog, but she died a few years ago, and he was devastated.

RDA wanted to be a pro hockey player as a youth, but broke both his arms. So he became an actor.

He became such an actor he was a street mime in the 70's, juggling and stuff.

He loves The Simpsons

Subscribe for more RDA fun facts.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

bitterandtwisted posted:

A flatmate and I decided to revisit the show some years ago, starting with the pilot.
We were not expecting full frontal nudity and alien worm rape!

It was on the pay cable channel "Showtime" for the first 5 years of its run. The initial nudity is for that reason.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

JAFFA! KREE!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Asterite34 posted:

Sometimes I still think back to that episode where Teal'c is living off-base and throws an avocado at a fleeing mugger or something and beans him unconscious with it at like 70 yards and smile.

Indeed.
*Detective Teal'c hat swipe

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

dee eight posted:

i liked colonel oneal's cat from the first season

O'neill, two L's.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

pixaal posted:

Groundhog day or the one where Teal'c gets that stylish grey stripe in his hair?

That season ten time loop episode?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

SpeedFreek posted:

The alternate future one was pretty good where they block the address of the planet at the end after they send the note through.

I love those episodes! 2 episodes, the first is called 2010 and the second 2001

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Valko posted:

It's an existential headfuck. If this actually happened it basically proves the Multiverse Theory. Wasn't there also some episode with an evil alternate SG1 team? I just checked and there are eight across it and it's spinoffs.
https://stargate.fandom.com/wiki/Alternate_reality#SG1:_%22There_But_for_the_Grace_of_God%22

There was the AI SG1 but they were not evil.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Sentient Data posted:

Sounds like this is also the rewatch thread now. Today's episode is the pilot!

In addition to not giving you any screenshots or the correct name, I will also offer you a compete lack of details because I'm not looking anything up.

Go watch the episode and report back. We're doing one episode a day, and feel free to be spoilerific since this is a general megathread after all

Children of the Gods!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

itry posted:

Unless I'm forgetting something... The story relies on Apophis butt dialing both Earth and Abydos in the same week. You may think it had something to do with the death of Ra, but no, Pophis was just looking for a bride and accidently hit up Earth even though the original number hasn't been in service for thousands of years and they had to take stellar drift into account to get the correct current number.

JAFFA KREE!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I just started watching Atlantis, and I've yet to warm up to McKay.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

pixaal posted:

There was that time Carter dated that alien that made a stargate from internet sourced parts.

That super creepy guy who stalked her.

But then, did Carter have any non creepy love interests?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

crispix posted:

comtraya!!!

COMTRAYA!!!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

MakaVillian posted:

I love all of the SG-1's alternate universe and/or time travel episodes as well as the 2nd movie (Ba'al :argh:)

Never forget that AI SG1 out there doing missions until their batteries died.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

crispix posted:

Hathor episode sure had a lot of :gizz:

No denying Hathor and Daniel Jackson DNA would rule.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Treecko posted:

I watched so much of it on Saturday, it was right after Xena iirc.

Couldn't tell you a single thing beyond them freaking out about getting the dimension ring working every episode.

They call it "the Stargate"

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Thinkin about Sgt Siler

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

itry posted:

Sounds like a Yu problem.

O no Yu didn't!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Aragosta posted:

Took me until 2010 to finally watch SG-1 and Atlantis when loving the original film since it was released. I got to say the series are great. I really loved Harry Maybourne and his whole storyline. His delivery of simple lines like "C'mon Jack" are just wonderful.

Long live King Arkhan the First!

Maybourne is so great. Technically an antagonist, but how can you not love him?

Also, that time Carter calls him out for being an idiot, but he does come through and help save the day.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Rappaport posted:

Mayborne is always a fun time, it's Kinsey who is the absolute rear end in a top hat. And he gets his comeuppance, too! :science:

God, that actor (Ronny Cox I think is his name) is such a great bad guy. You love to hate him!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

pixaal posted:

I love SG-1 government they are so believable as politicians. I thought it was over the top watching it as it came out but nope just lines right up. Oh the Airforce is full of good people who have high morals and excellent ethics though don't worry. What do you mean don't count the war crimes in Atlantis?

Not sure I agree. I doubt a real life Stargate Command would be anywhere near as moral and good as the one run by Hammond.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Rappaport posted:

He definitely delivers. And there's even the episode where Jack and Maybourne (misspelled his name earlier) go visit him, and it is both intimidating and hilarious.

Same thing with Ba'al, really (:rip: Cliff Simon), he just turns the smarm up to 11 and has nefarious, world-destroying schemes, but the acting performance is wonderful and you sort of want to like him even though he's definitely a big bad after the horrific torture episode in, I want to say season 6?

I freaking love Ba'al. Him having to work with (and show some respect to) Carter just tickles me.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

pixaal posted:

I mean the non military people, the government. You know Maybourne and Kinsey basically. They really seem like politicians.I don't think a real life SGC would be anywhere near as ethical as SG-1, Atlantis though yikes do they do some shoot first, make decisions for other planets.

Agreed.

Relatedly, I loved the arc Woolsley went on, where he started as one of bad government guys but turned into a good guy.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

I enjoyed Stargate as it came out, but when I tried rewatching it a few years ago I got unreasonably angry on an early episode where the natives of a "gravel pit planet" were using shovels and picks completely implausibly. (As if the actors had never dug anything before ever)

Like I can suspend disbelief for the rest of Stargate episodes but that got me mad for some reason.

I'm willing to try again with the rewatch

Give me more context so I can look this up. Early season, late season? What was the overall plot?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I really liked Jonas & thought season 6 was one of the best ones. Although the Groundhog Day ep was my favorite.

"Window of Opportunity"

The best Stargate episode IMO. As it features the comedy of the series, that no one expects, and then hits you with an emotional gut punch at the end. It's the single best example of how this show could mock itself AND take itself totally serious.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

pixaal posted:

The cast change up does find itself (just in time to get axed) they finish up the plots threads with 2 movies though! A third was planned but was shelved when Don S Davis died which meant it needed a rewrite to start filming. Still they name a ship after him in Atlantis.

RIP Don S Davis. He'll always be my SGC Commander.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

When's flying in the attack glider and lets out a heart felt "YEEE HAAWWW!"

That's my General.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

One of the least believable things about the show is they kept the Stargate secret from the public.

There's dozens of reasons why that would not work, but consider just the fact that SG teams took a pretty high fatality rate. How are you explaining to widows how your husband was KIA but not in any known conflict?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

itry posted:

Urgo and Nerus cooking contest show :allears:

How have I never seen this before? Who is that guy?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Rappaport posted:

Even putting aside the forever war aspect of the military-industrial complex of the US, "Ma'am / Sir, it's classified" is a kind of big gently caress off and don't ask questions answer. And whose mind would go first to ancient portals to other solar systems and snakes in heads?

I mean Wormhole X-treme, sure, but that guy actually was from outer space.

I mean, there's a lot of widows. Surely some of them would demand answers/more info.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

crispix posted:

they also settled quite a few aliens in the USA, like the little girl they found who'd had a goa'uld planet-destorying bomb planted in her

i guess when she grows up and starts dating/interviewing for jobs and stuff she could just say she'd been raised amish or something

I mean, how many people work at SGC daily? Like the cafeteria folks. Hundreds at any one time, thousands over the course of a few years. And no one spoke out about the portal to infinite other worlds?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Rappaport posted:

I suppose the Manhattan project is a bad example since they did have communist spies in there, and they got the death penalty, woof, but that real-world project involved hundreds of people too.

And they were all sequestered on site and hush hushed. Ostensibly SGC folks are just working for the Air Force at Cheyenne Mountain. As we see, they all have regular lives in the real world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

crispix posted:

also i would imagine SGC cafeteria workers would be enlisted and have had basic training

there are numerous examples of how dangerous a goa'uld can be in a kitchen :chef:

friggin marriage cake

That SGC jello