Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

iirc after Demons they got a big backlash from all the air force personnel Christians tuning in and they steered clear of it for the most part.
The weirdest religion/ethnicity mismatch to my recollection is easily in Learning Curve. Just the pastiest Aztecs ever.
Fake edit: apparently the Aztec/Maya (ambiguity not mine) descendants, which include Tollans and 2 presumably book-only peoples, were saved from Goa'uld enslavement by the Giant Aliens by means of crystal skull?? There's fuckin Greek columns at the Tollan gate :psyduck:
real edit: it also ruins the notion of how off-world humans/Jaffa speak English as laid out in Mobius, but that was a pretty poor attempt at explaining anyway

ChairmanMauzer posted:

I always interpreted the Ori to be the Christian caricatures in the series.

I always interpreted Ori as more of a white Islam kind of religion in the sense that they are super fervent and not as hypocritical (though Crusade also does away with that notion somewhat if Michael Ironside's occupation was also found amongst actual believers). That plus, you know, it was the 00's

e2: also Jack creeps on a showering Sam while invisible in 200? Dunno how canon that is as it's 200 but clearly everyone's behaviour was mainly informed by the 90s and not updated since

Leandros fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Sep 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

snergle posted:

soherutor

:confused: Heru'ur?

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

snergle posted:

tealcs blonde goatee is starting to bother me is it gone soon? he had it for like half of s3 and 4 -5 episodes of s4

I'm pretty sure it was only s4, Chris Judge wanted hair and the producers messed with him by telling him he could only have that. Kind of a dick move in retrospect.

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

snergle posted:

i dont think the ment for the reveal of good tealc already having a goatee on to be intentionally lol funny to me. its intentional that the bad universe evil people do thats a big evil twin stereo type. but go rewatch the episode. tealc goes into the mirror universe with jack and daniel he is normal tealc and has no goatee. they trick evil tealc into going into the closet with the mirror and then tealc kills him. but good tealc already has the goatee on. despite not knowing that evil tealc has a goatee.

He's wearing it before entering the other universe, though the lighting makes it hard to see. Presumably other Sam and Kowalski briefed them on it and the SGC disguise team sprang into action.

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

The language stuff for the milky way is also explained in the final eps of S8. It's a very plausible and reasonable explanation.
e: they also reuse footage from the movie in Politics as flashback

Leandros fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Oct 6, 2023

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

redshirt posted:

What was it? I just watched some of those episodes but don't recall it coming up.

the gang goes back in time and start the uprising against Ra and everyone learns english

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

redshirt posted:

Oh yeah, that one. Still hard to extrapolate across the entire galaxy though. And even more, across other galaxies - people speak English in the Pegasus Galaxy of SGA.

I know I know, it's just a show. But I think it's fun to try and explain it.

I mean almost everyone the team encounters is either highly advanced, came from Earth, or has been coexisting with humans for a long time (or doesn't speak English). If after 5000 years of being used, English somehow stayed exactly the same it would explain the MW.

Explaining also Atlantis....the only thing I could dream up is that the Lantean language basically stopped being spoken 10k years ago both in Pegasus and on Earth, and so if language evolved deterministically, English at both ends can kind of make sense slightly sorta. Obviously that's rather a long shot of linguistic convergent evolution, but save for time travel or other shenanigans it seems the only explanation.

e: or English is just the language that always arises, like the human form :iiam:

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

redshirt posted:

It's pretty funny that not only do Star Trek and Star Wars exist in the SG-1 universe, but so does MacGuyver, which opens up a whole bunch of questions.

Spoilers for a season 9 episode:

The one where Vala comes back to the SGC and relates how she got pregnant, but without having sex, and then asks if they've ever heard of a child being conceived without sex before.

Long pause (the obvious answer is "Jesus", but no one says it).....
And then Teal'c answers with "Darth Vader"

I lol'd.

Don't SG-1 and the Simpsons both exist in one another's universe? It's like a singularity.

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

well why not posted:

Teal’c loving Star Wars is a very cute character point.

anyone know wtf is up with that fuckin outfit?

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

snergle posted:

yeah i was alive in the 90s i remember it. the carter was kidnapped episode. that dr is so loving creepy. and i had to rewind it a few times the new nid bad guy saving the symbiote was something i didnt see coming. i look foward to their down fall. carters protege is back as well and i like the whole intar sgc training. that was a neat episode i didnt think they would do something like that. also holy gently caress tealc with a staff rocket launcher. this next episode looks like its gonna be great

You're gonna meet a fun new character.

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

redshirt posted:

Sam and Martouf were pretty close to a couple, if not actual.

Sam and Nareem..... Nareem was like a lovesick puppy.

And then he got dumped by Weir :(

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

well why not posted:

Chris Judge wrote cool episodes, and him sprinting out of the Stargate yelling "DECEIVER" is an all-time moment for the big man. That's also the P90 demonstration episode. A classic, and one of my faves so far.

FWIW my #1 episode is still The Other Side, a very Star Trek plot, handled in the most Stargate of ways.

It's handled trekishly, odo's in it!

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

EvilHawk posted:

I'm pretty sure the Tok'ra either don't have any symbiotes spare, or have them available for Jack/Daniel/whoever, depending on what the plot demands.

Their queen was lost for a long time and then died with a bunch of brain-dead offspring as final wave so they'll probably die off soon if they don't make another queen, however that is done.

redshirt posted:

They don't replace RDA, but as their own, new thing, it's fun.

John Crichton could have easily replaced him but they made Cam a boring dude who only slightly resembles the superior hooman :colbert:

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

Stark Mitchell is the closest we'll get :(

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

FFT posted:

Ever seen anyone need to reload a staff weapon or a Zat, though?

Reload no, but jack pulls out some liquid naquadah capsule out of a staff to power his jerry rigged Asgard dialer in 5th race, so they do have to.

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

Momoas repertoire consists of talking gruff in various settings but I had a harder time tolerating Teyla both in character and how she was portrayed. Wasn't she basically the show's Jeri Ryan? Though even 7 of 9 was a more interesting character and she started out as a loving drone.
I think in almost all aspects SG1 is just leagues better than SGA. You watch SG1 for the evolution of humanity and their defeating of ever more godlike entities over the course of many seasons. SGA just rehashed a bunch of concepts and added boring space goths. Enjoyable white noise at most (as opposed to SGU which was rarely even enjoyable).

I guess the Genii were a kind of fun foe, even though clearly so technologically inferior as to never be a real threat. Maybe I just liked Colm Meaney as a bad guy.

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

It's fun to see the technological underdog pull one over on the enemy but the Genii were just a bunch of backstabbers backstabbing backstabbers.

Another fun thought I had is that like the human form, a Richard Kind always evolves into being.

e: Kolya could have been played by Steven Seagal and the only differences would have been the need for more chairs in scenes and perhaps some forced subs. Honestly might have been worth looking into

Leandros fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Oct 27, 2023

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

pixaal posted:

Which Genii? There's two groups called this one in SG1 and one in Atlantis

e: I googled to double check and maybe it wasn't the genii that were reused thought they were. I know there's a duplicate name of completely different groups in SG1 and Atlantis

Humans? :dadjoke:
Replicators

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

The triple barreled shotgun prop used by Satedans and Genii is from Blade 2 and also shows up in Eureka. The Richard Kind is invincible episode is filmed in the same cute town location as the people that live in a forcefield shell surrounded by toxic gas episode. Tons of actors are reused, some of them becoming major characters in their second role (Beckett was a young Littlefield). I think practical production decisions leading to fucky canon aren't so bad as say reusing names or plots.

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

With the iris center bulging outward to the center (otherwise the cool pointy center wouldn't stick out so much), all they had to do was make a naquadah enhanced shape charge and push it through the middle. Ample room to have it materialize :shrug:

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

EvilHawk posted:

Grace is such a weird episode. I posted about it in this thread during my rewatch but it comes out of absolute nowhere. An alien race so advance that can do all kinds of weird poo poo, but they never encounter it again (in our galaxy) and has seemingly insurmountable technology. It doesn't fit at all with the setting.

As always, Rodney did it better:heysexy:

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

How did the Asgard even get their replicator problem if Reese is from the Milky Way? By which I mean how did they not gently caress up the MW when they came upon them?

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

The ancient godlike beings too lazy to stop atrocities and readily littering omnicidal objects like we lose radioactive sources proving that we shouldn't strive for better

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

redshirt posted:

I didn't take that message away from it, but I can see it.

++
In the ultimate meta crossover, MacGuyver exists in the SG1 universe.
By the transitive property, the Simpsons existing implies MacGyver does.

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

Man the Atlantis crew really genocided those Asurans hard. Buncha war criminals imo

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

MakaVillian posted:

Continuum loving slaps, though I am a mark for pretty much any alternate reality sci-fi, especially when it comes to SG-1

Plus Daniel swears!

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

^^Athena!

JediTalentAgent posted:

Too bad Ba'al never took over Earth. He seems like he would have reinvented the Goa'uld System Lords into being OCP executives and turned the Jaffa into PMCs.

I could see him Trumping his way into the oval office if he was left alone in s9.

Anyway is there a reason Ronon is so tremendously bland? Did the writers, Momoa or both suck?

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

I mean sure the backstory sucks but I mean his general demeanour. 90% of the time he's just gruff and looks at anyone like he's raring to fight. Teal'c was a warrior but at least he could smile for reasons other than fantasizing about shooting people.

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

It took him regrowing his hair for me to realise how huge Teal'c's head is

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

alexandriao posted:

they only do non-Ancient Egyptian culture a handful of times until the Ori show up
I wouldn't say that at all. It's mostly generic European medieval stuff because white people, and considering they shot the series in the same patch of BC they even made the more Middle Eastern gods' worlds look coniferous.

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

SRQ posted:

Special Forces are filled with people who are willing to be first in the breach for the honour and glory of coming back.
The lower the chance, the higher the glory.
So they're all in it for that, while Jack is in it because he wants to go out doing something worth dying for.

What a crock of poo poo. They're filled with bloodthirsty psychos that like to kill under the cover of air support. One of the female SG team in Atlantis said it best, if unintended, why she was in the Pegasus galaxy:

Jack is the hero of the story, that's why he is willing to sacrifice himself.

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

Taear posted:

Teyla's people have gone to another world and never ever get mentioned again RIP
Don't worry, some of them will be back.

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

^^the Ori arc had a bunch of named planets, like the ones when they try to find the Sangraal. Anubis had Tartarus and there was the domed ancient place where they got the ZPM to power the antarctic chair for the first time. Jonas' planet had a name, as did the planet where the prometheus got blowed up over. I'm sure the majority are indeed random strings though.

snergle posted:

lol i said that guy looked to much like musk for my to like him when you guys were ranking favorite gouald.

im making my way through season 7 i fell asleep during the episode when sam is standed alone on the prometheus in that wierd gas cloud nebula thing. I didnt fall asleep because the episode was boring i was just tired. gonna fire that up tonight / tommorow. i did like the female jaffa camp episode right before this. i think the loki episode was recent to. that was a fun episode. the two parter where you see anubis's super soldier was cool but the daniel parts drug that down. also the 2nd felcher episode is the worst. it some how beat out the other felcher episode for 3rd worst to me. i think if i rewatched the mongol episode i might dislike it less then i currently dislike the 2nd felcher episode i hope he is never used again

the race episode was fun and it was cool to see those guys again but it was pretty meh outside of the cool call back and the frenemy who is like i may be a bad pilot and a terrible navigator but weapon systems thats an art form as he mcguyvers their communication array to shut down the cheaters ship.

Well I disagree heartily with you but you've seen the last of Felger yes.

Taear posted:

I think I expected more surprise I guess
Realistically the only aliens we've met are the Nox, Asgard and Goa'uld. Oh and the Unas I guess? But they all get quite a lot of description and discussion when they're found
I dunno what your threshold for meeting is, but there's the Foothold aliens, the Native American gods in the trinium episode, the terraforming spaceship aliens, the phase shifting suicide bomber ones with the bald kid, crystal alien from s1, crystal skull aliens and probably a bunch more.

Leandros fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Dec 17, 2023

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

re: the lovely CGI dragon, I just saw some CGI bats in S3's New Ground and they looked about the same fidelity, except 7 years older

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

Was Tealcs hair in Gamekeeper real?

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

I forgot about Nerims incel rear end Sam voiced Alexa. So creepy

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

The extended universe has another colony of Tollans, if you want to count that. Even if you don't I find it strange to assume all of them were incapable of hiding from the mothership anubis sent. Even in the episode that kills them off you see how tiny Hatak cannon explosions are. Now multiply it by a whole world of surface area.

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

JediTalentAgent posted:

Watching President Hayes on Stargate always gives me a strange Donald Trump vibe. I don't know if anyone else gets that from him.

Dude's got military experience so not in a million years. He's just a generic centrist president with no overt ideology, just a straight talking statesman like so many irrelevant president characters in TV.

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Do Asgard teleporters work through a gate? Has anyone ever tried? Because I'm picturing a gate opening up on an uninhabited world and suddenly *vwoosh* an entire prefab colony appears out of thin air.

There's the Oracle of Seasons ring system Merlin set up, that combines transport and gates. Not asgard though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

Tealc and bratac getting pissed over backhanded politics should have had a couple Veep type scenes. Couple of warriors arguing motions, proposing amendments, palm greasing and elbow rubbing, creative Jaffa insults between staffers.