Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Iris is hard and expensive to setup. Just station some patient Jaffa nearby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Teal’c loving Star Wars is a very cute character point. Of course he’d be into fighting the evil empire in space battles.

Same for O’Neill being into the goofy, consequence-free Simpsons.

It makes so much sense and does help ground the series (and tie it to 90s/00s).

They’re pretty fleshed out characters. Why wouldn’t we know their favourite tv shows, hockey games or system lord deaths?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

That is the best outfit I’ve ever seen on TV and it’s not even mentioned. He just dressed like a flavourtown cowboy for a pizza night.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I'd like to think that's just something Christopher Judge happened to own.

yeah lol

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

only after Kelno'reem

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

yeah it’s only ever jack and planetary locals who die a week later

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Daniel’s hosed a lot of locals, to whom he’s basically a wizard.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

he was better dressed for the alternate plan tbh

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

ChairmanMauzer posted:

I never noticed that before, but that's pretty funny. 200 is jam packed with jokes like that.

You know, I kinda wish they found an excuse to have RDA play hockey for an episode.

An early-ish episode they have a function at his house and after he gets upset he goes to play with his roller hockey net because he’s a 13 year old.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Chris Judge wrote cool episodes, and him sprinting out of the Stargate yelling "DECEIVER" is an all-time moment for the big man. That's also the P90 demonstration episode. A classic, and one of my faves so far.

FWIW my #1 episode is still The Other Side, a very Star Trek plot, handled in the most Stargate of ways.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

F35

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Every tok’ra you see is a former Air Force pilot who got crippled by an osprey or an ejector seat

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

EvilHawk posted:

I'm pretty sure the Tok'ra either don't have any symbiotes spare, or have them available for Jack/Daniel/whoever, depending on what the plot demands.

On new Stargate, I think there's two options: a hard reboot with a shorter plot, get rid of the filler episodes, focus on the fight against the Goa'uld leading up to the confrontation with the Big Bad Anubis who's been running things behind the scenes.

The other option is bringing it all up to date. The problem with that is making a new enemy to make it all work, seeing as Earth is basically the galactic superpower now.

The third option would be a direct continuation or reboot of the original film. Decaf Jack O’Neil and more serious Abysos drama. This would mean the setting would have no one but Jack/Daniel and a few spare kowalskis.

No Jaffa, Asgard, Unas etc. basically a clean slate except for a desert planet and two snarky leads.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

No matter what they have to ensure Chris Judge gets paid somehow. Let him narrate the bumpers or something.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I fully agree but I think Emmerich or someone in his gang was making noises about a film continuation that ignored the series. I think with a Mayan influence.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

That episode was “2001”

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I’m on s7 now, I hadn’t seen much past the first few seasons. One of the biggest takeaways is how drat good RDA is. It’d be impossible to replace that flavour of charisma. One of the best to do it and I’m glad he has retired rich to go get fat and watch every hockey game ever.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Armacham posted:

He was RDAs stunt double from McGuyver too, I think

Don S. Davis was the stunt double for Dana Elcar on McGuyver. It seems like RDA pulled some strings to get people he liked on SG1.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Sam gets a new, slightly different haircut each season, while poor Dr Fraser has the worst haircuts I’ve ever seen until like s7. She’s gorgeous and a great actor but they really did her dirty.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Daniel hosed a lot in the first 5 seasons due to his role as “the cute boy”. In hindsight it’s weird and unbalanced because they think he’s a magician from beyond the stars.

Tealc and the others were less cavalier. Jack definitely knocked up that woman tho.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The key category of “falling on the flowers” or “pulling a wesley crusher” is over represented in the first few seasons. Oh no, sg1 has offended the locals arbitrary and weird rules. Time to argue/p90 their way out!

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

It’s a bad episode, it’s very much a Star Trek story so most of the cast sits around while Daniel does charades. I fell asleep mumbling that “I hate the white people” when we watched it.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I want to be on sg-2, the Pete Conrad of the sgc

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

redshirt posted:

What are your SG2 creds?

I am willing to die so that RDA has a dramatic beat.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Kree translates to “lfg”

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

“Grace” S07E13 is one of the worst episodes made and was likely produced just so they could add the make out sesh to tv ad bumpers.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

redshirt posted:

From my recollection, Ra is almost never discussed. He's like a non-factor.

Not quite, the Tok'ra are named because they opposed Ra. The fallout from his death incites the various system lord feuds we see.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

snergle posted:

watching a few episodes and do they ever go back to that unas slaver world where daniels unas friend is hopefully a sucessful nat turner / john brown

his friend comes back but I don’t think they go back to overt slavery metaphor world

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

he’s so loving cool

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

They even had celtic culture represnted with the Hebridians and the Volians

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

s8e1 and this new look for the show hosed me up, it looks so weird

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

It’s weird because the Galaxy is previously a harsh place with gouald everywhere, few friends and danger all over. But also, there’s a lot of fun characters and space racing? It doesn’t really mesh.

The rest of the universe is danger and slavery. Apart from the racing system. It’s very much a Star Trek plot.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I presume Jack cleaned out his wife in the divorce. He spent it all on the f250 and the pond.

Carter is a huge success and a generals daughter, house is nice but pretty big for one person. It’s such a 90s/2000s TV house. Her home and clothes really don’t match the character. Sometimes she’s a motorcycle nerd who lives for science, sometimes she dresses like she’s on Seventh Heaven.

Jackson was an outsider archeologist theorist and somehow had that cool inner city apartment, despite being missing for a year+ on abydos.

They seem to eat every meal on base or offworld, that must keep the jello budget down. You’d save money on a gym membership too, as being near Teal’c gives you osmosis gains.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Don’t military types get a payment per deployment? SG teams could be cashing in everytime they leave world.

I imagine that Teal’c won the cowboy outfit.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

If Daniel’s a contractor I hope he cashed the fat one year overtime on return from Abydos.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Daniel Jackson: It says, "A traveler from distant stars escaped from a dying world, looking for a way to extend his own life. His body decaying and weak, he couldn't prevent his own demise." Apparently his whole species was becoming extinct. So he traveled or searched the galaxies, looking for a way to cheat death. Look here: "He came to a world rich with life, where he encountered a primitive race." Humans, heh. A species which with all his powers and knowledge he'd maintain indefinitely. He realized, within a human body, he had a chance for a new life. Now, apparently he found a young boy. It says, "As the frightened villagers ran, night became day. Curious and without fear, he walked towards the light." Ra took him and possessed his body, like some kind of a... parasite looking for a host. Inhabiting this human form, he appointed himself ruler. He used the Stargate to bring thousands of people here to this planet as workers... for the mines. (...) Now, something happened back on Earth. A rebellion or uprising and the Stargate was buried there. Fearful of a rebellion here, Ra outlawed reading and writing. He didn't want the people to remember the truth...

Joe Rogan: wow, that's incredible

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

He looks pretty good for 73. Crucially, he seems happy and content, so big thumbs up from me.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I'm about at the same place as Snergle in my watch, and agreed that Pete is the worst. Sam Carter is the smartest person on earth, the most overall capable person on the show, and totally gorgeous. Her with a lowly police officer, Pete - is disgraceful. The alternate version had her dating the ambassador for Earth!

I think overall they handle the Jack/Samantha relationship pretty well, it's baited a bit but there's nothing too outrageous, particularly for the era the show was made. I appreciate that they never even hint at any feelings between Sam/Daniel, which would make sense on paper as they're huge nerds. Daniel is too busy pining for his Gou'ld exes and loving the locals offworld I suppose.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

As a failure with a very successful partner, so do I!

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Taear posted:

Siler and Harriman must loving love SG1
Both set for life by it

It’s in the rules for the Air Force that you have to have a hosed up skull shape to run the SGC dialling computer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I’d assumed that he was meant to be like the dude from West Wing. Don’t know if the timing works.