Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Oh man how did I miss this thread? I just started my regular (every 3 years or so, I think) rewatch. Up to the middle of season 3 so far.

What I forgot was how often an episode's concept is "SG1 go to [planet], find [device], Sam/Daniel touch [device], poo poo happens." Like my dudes you have been doing this for quite a while (although I think in the season 1 clip show they mention it's only been like a couple of months?) surely you know the number 1 thing is do not touch the mysterious device on the plinth. The body swap episode is fun because they kind of subvert this by having Teal'c and O'Neil use all the protective gear they're supposed to, and the device just... does it anyway.

Season 3 I think is the start of the period where the actors - RDA in particular - is very aware of how long this show has already gone on for and is likely to go on for. The number of planets they go to that are clearly the same part of Canadian woodland/quarry. In one of the episodes I watched last night he says something like "It's fortunate this galaxy is very... green."

The best thing I like about this program is the way you see the technology advance (both human and alien). You start in season 1 with these massive basic computers - in one episode they have dual CRT monitors in the lab and you can see how old it is, they go to a website that's like "file:///internet///www///website///egypt" etc. - and are using the standard MP5 loadouts. Then as you go through they start including the hated ZATs, they have their radio communication and drones, they start developing the space program etc. That's the cool poo poo you arguably don't get in any other sci-fi program.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

skooma512 posted:

I did appreciate SG-1's villain power curve over the course of the series and how the solutions built on top of each other, though by the end they were running out of power levels and it was getting kind of ludicrous.

Speaking of ludicrous, Earth by the end of the series was an intergalactic power with a fleet of FTL warships, went from zero to major player in the Milky Way while crushing the previous major player, in the span of a decade. All of this without the larger population even knowing what was going on even though Earth had been attacked multiple times.

I am revealing how incredibly deeply nerdy I am/was, but I read something years ago about a Stargate program where the British discovered it as part of their Egyptian expeditions around the turn of the century, and they had their main Stargate operations going from an offworld planet. It mate so much sense and I get why SG-1 stayed grounded to Earth but... I pretty sure I'm getting to the first episode of their intergalactic fleet, and doesn't that literally lift off from (possibly) Area 51?

They also have multiple Goa'uld and Asgard motherships just hanging around in orbit/the solar system? Like does no amateur astronomer see that?

A storyline where the public finds out would have been sick, though.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

redshirt posted:

"Window of Opportunity" is the best SG:1 episode. It has everything that makes SG:1 great: Cool sci fi premise, tons of humor, and serious tragic vibes, all in one episode.

I just watched that yesterday and forgot how good it was.

"In the middle of my backswing?!" remains one of the funniest lines in the show. Daniel has some fantastic facial expressions as well ("He...read...the...briefing?" :confused:)

edit: also is S04E08 the first appearance of the P90 as the weapon of choice?

EvilHawk fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Aug 22, 2023

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

The Tollans are assholes but they are completely right in not getting involved. SG teams show up and immediately get involved in whichever conflict they find (or inadvertently cause). The season 4 episode 2 episode "The Other Side" really shows how silly this is when they end up nearly giving support to a genocidal group of lunatics. Meanwhile the Tollans, when encountered with anyone they (rightly) judge are technologically inferior, say "no, gently caress you, you morons. Deal with your own poo poo." They don't get involved with anyone's stupid conflicts, and become best buds with the cool hippy race.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Season 4 seems really big on bottle/Earth-based episodes. I don't know if there was budget issues at the time, but it's also the season where they start building space craft, so I imagine they saved money for the wonderful CGI.

2010 is a very good episode. Always fun to see possible futures.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Currently watching "The Light", yet another episode where someone does something completely out of character after returning from offworld, then one of the main cast starts acting out of character and everyone just shrugs their shoulders and carries on with their day.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

End of season 4 and start of season 5 is where they really let RDA go wild with his performances. So many little facial expressions and comments. You really get the sense he's an old dude who's just kind of done with playing the nice colonel

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Watching Between Two Fires now. Massive fan of Sam opening her palm for the holographic projection, and then turning the disk so it's facing her. There's no need to do that - it's obviously all CGI - but it's a little touch that makes it feel real.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Season 5 really is peak Stargate. 2001, Wormhole X-Treme, Proving Ground, 48 hours, all fantastic episodes basically back to back. Maybourne becoming a loveable scamp, Simmonds being all evil and mysterious, all the main characters really being themselves... Wonderful TV

Also I forgot Grace Park shows up as one of the trainees in Proving Ground.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

snergle posted:

yeah that episode is some of the best scifi rivialling any of the big b5 moments

more then the ending is good to. the whole episode is amazing from start to finish. also it was one of their planets. i forget which planet they said but they said it was a planet in a specific system in a specific quadrant. also i hope i get to see the furlings. since we have seen nox asgard and ancients sort of. the asgard said the ancients moved on from this space im guessing its some type of ascension angle.

also LOL i just finished the michello episode. i remember when futurama had this big thing about the same premise and how they wrote a fancy math algorithim for it. sg1 is just like yeah naw you two swap now you two swap now you two swap.

So many things I want to say about the Furlings, but like redshirt I want to see your reactions without spoilers.

redshirt posted:

Yeah where he gets transported to one of their ships, and they give him that speech.

I love how Jack is like "uh guys that's cool and all but we're out there loving things up for real right now so maybe pay attention?"

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

I think Jack generally proves himself to be a great judge of character. Most of the time when someone seems too good to be true, it's O'Neill who's the one who refuses to take things at face value. He's certainly arrogant and thinks he knows right, which doesn't always come off, but it makes sense for him to be in charge of the lead team.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

snergle posted:

also im starting to realize all the "historically non white" races gods are gould but the white supremists gods arent. im sure its unintentional but like mix it up. like have a gould be pretending to be jesus and some cool hindu poo poo be another asgardian race for all i know t hats gonna happen soon though. im honestly suprised with how many iron age civilizations they havent run into a dark age europe one.

There's at least one episode you're coming up to (I think) where the natives are like super serious Christian analogues. Which is pretty fun, they're arguably some of the worst non-advanced natives they come across.

Later seasons kind of lean into that.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Watching the S6E11/S6E12 double header and O'Neill is so desperate to name the Prometheus the Enterprise

I love any episode where the Asgard show up and are like you simpletons can you please come and fix whatever nonsense we have going on. Oh yeah we just beamed your entire arsenal on board as well. What do you mean paperwork?

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Lifeboat is a great episode because it feels like they punished Michael Shanks for loving off for a season by making him act like a child and that is very funny

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Ugh weird run of episodes this. Lifeboat is great, Space Race is possibly one of the worst episodes in the season (awful plot, terrible characters, just weirdly paced and a resolution that's very hamfisted), Avenger 2.0 is fantastic, then Birthright which is just Teal'c being weird misogynistic when he's never really shown that before.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

redshirt posted:

I just watched the episode where he blends with Selmak. Pretty interesting spin on the whole parasite/symbiote on what was beforehand a very clear villain (the Goa'uld).

And Daniel brings it up, but I'm not sure it's brought up again: Did Earth supply dying people to the Tok'ra for hosts? If the dying folks of Earth understood the deal and consented, it seems like a win-win honestly.

I'm pretty sure the Tok'ra either don't have any symbiotes spare, or have them available for Jack/Daniel/whoever, depending on what the plot demands.

On new Stargate, I think there's two options: a hard reboot with a shorter plot, get rid of the filler episodes, focus on the fight against the Goa'uld leading up to the confrontation with the Big Bad Anubis who's been running things behind the scenes.

The other option is bringing it all up to date. The problem with that is making a new enemy to make it all work, seeing as Earth is basically the galactic superpower now.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

I kind of forgot that during the Season 7 episode "Grace" they encounter a vastly superior alien vessel and as far as I can remember it just... never comes up again?

Like this is a ship that seems to be well beyond their or the Goa'uld capabilities, arguably Asgard level, and uhh yeah let's just forget about that

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

You know sometimes I think O'Neill just rides the elevator up and down when he's having a slow day. He knows at some point there's going to be a weird thing happening or a conversation to be had.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Ah gently caress I just remembered the twist in "Heroes".

Bummer.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

redshirt posted:

It's such an odd two part episode too. It plays as a humor episode with the on base film crew. It gets serious with the film crew. Then seemingly out of nowhere, BAM!.

Also, I loved the focus on SG12 or whatever number they were, and just their basic day to day mission (that goes sideways).

The little betting pool they have going on is such a nice humanising moment. Also the military guy in charge isn't a massive dick to the guy who just wants to study the cool ruins. It really shows that it's not just SG-1 who have these close interpersonal relationships.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Man the battle over Antartica is so cool. Very much a culmination of what all that technology acquiring has been leading to.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Ahh binge watching these makes the new Weir so much weirder.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

redshirt posted:

Indeed.

On my rewatch, I was surprised how short it was. IIRC they got that whole action scene in the last 10 minutes of the episode, and just a few minutes of that.

Yeah it's relatively short, I think they do show varying angles/replays of it in the latter seasons though so it seems longer.

I somehow just noticed the Asgard have little teeth and it's very unnerving.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

FFT posted:

Remember the first Sebrus/Seberus episode when Carter hands a dude zipties to cuff his legs and he somehow manages to do so competently despite being from a completely different culture that probably doesn't have zipties?

They kind of get away from the earlier seasons where they have to explain super basic concepts to the primitive aliens. They also just kinda... stop encountering those primitives as often. It's much more common that they come across like... 1940s era + (which totally makes sense from a story telling and progression perspective, it gets boring having to deal with people who haven't invented a computer yet).

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

McSpanky posted:

The season seven finale "The Lost City" was originally intended to be a movie that would wrap up SG-1, reveal the program during Anubis' attack on Earth and lead into Atlantis, before the president of Syfy decided to run both series simultaneously. The show's producers later planned to make another movie after Continuum about the revelation of the Stargate program and everything related to it, but MGM going bankrupt put the kibosh on it.

Yeah that's fairly obvious on a re-watch. They introduce a new character who's this PR/negotiating genius, there's a threat to Earth that can't just be solved by one little cargo ship doing a wormhole, the main characters sort of reach their natural conclusions... and then, season 8!

It would have been cool to live in that universe. Atlantis has the "secret"/plucky underdogs storyline, SG-1 either ends or deals with the fallout.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

redshirt posted:

The episode is on now, one of the biggest mysteries of SG1:

When Jack was stranded on another planet due to meteor bombardment, did he get that nice lady pregnant?

The one who says goodbye at the end of the episode, notably folding her hands over her stomach while doing so.

I assume like 9 out of the 10 worlds SG-1 visit has little Daniel's, Jack's, or Teal'c's running around.

Avatar with it's cute early 2000s video game CGI is a fun episode. Affinity has Pete in it, which is a bit of a downer.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Oh Citizen Joe, such a good episode

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

redshirt posted:

I love the meta meta that Joe references The Simpsons.

The revelation that Jack has just been having these visions for years and thought they were nice was amazing

Also what's the actual end game of that episode there's a dude who seems to be just out there with full knowledge of the Stargate, Jack presumably also informs his wife, so are these two now just massive national security threats?

Rewatching these later episodes it's also clear that any sort of reboot would make the Russian participation very interesting. Can't imagine how they'd square that circle nowadays, even though the Russians involved with the Stargate are the "good" ones.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Threads would have been a wonderful end to the series, and Mobius is so much fun. You can really tell that Shanks and Tapping are having a lot of fun playing their alternative selves.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

I'm two episodes in to the Ori storyline and the Jaffa politics is already the absolute loving worst part of the last two seasons

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

alexandriao posted:

I felt the Ori were kind of Meh, but then I also didn't feel that they needed a new big bad. The big bad could just be social and technical problems related to humanity establishing itself as an interstellar empire

Early on they're super weird and creepy. The Goa'uld did get quite stale, "super evil bad guys being all mischievous" only has so many goes before it's just accepted.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

I was thinking about Daniel's actual job/title/position as I was watching last night. When he first joins the team he is there purely as an advisor. He rarely if ever carries a gun, he's there to talk to people and do the archeology stuff.

Then he starts carrying a Zat/pistol, becoming more involved in the actual military side of things, clearly trained in the tactics of the SG teams.

By Season 8 he's basically another soldier/airman. He carries the P90, full tactical gear, the whole 9 yards. He doesn't appear to have any sort of rank or obvious position in the miliary hierarchy, but he is able to direct military tactics and people defer to his leadership. When he's aboard the X-301/Daedalous he gets sent off to tackle boarders and deal with threats.

So at that stage is he... a contractor? Mercenary? Is he directly employed by the air force or the DOD? What shows on his pay stubs?

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

As a late game Goa'uld Nerus is so good. "Oh, we don't have to talk like that" [Daniel's head explodes]

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

I've said it once and I'll say it again, Jaffa politics are the worst part of the last two seasons. I get what they're trying to portray, but it's so loving dull and full of unlikeable (even for being evil) characters.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Yeah I mean Gerak, I guess he's not evil pre-Ori but he's clearly set up to be the "villain" in Jaffa politics and it's so dull.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

redshirt posted:

Due to the way I watch, I often feel like I missed something, and the Lucian Alliance was the best example. Felt like I missed a whole season - who were these guys again? How they'd get all the Goa'uld mother ships?

The Lucian Alliance was kind of explained when Vala showed back up. Basically the people who would do smuggling and nefarious poo poo when the Goa'uld were around banded together after they left to form a power block. Again it makes sense if the Jaffa politics was going to be the main storyline - you have the free Jaffa nation vs. the evil smugglers. But then the Ori

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Ripple Effect is a fun episode, the alternate universe ones always are. It also gives us some fun dynamics

Mitchell interviews Daniel who is being cautious about the whole thing - "there's also a Plan C" - and generally a bit prickly

Landry interviews Mitchell who rightly points out that there have been missions where SG-1 have found themselves in similar situations, because he read up on all the files before joining

Teal'C gives Daniel absolutely everything he wants to know

Sam and Sam figure it out in a couple of seconds.

Then we get more SG teams!

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

redshirt posted:

After thinking about it a bit, I'm gonna say that the worst episode of SG1 is not that one (above), but IMO season 5 episode "Ascension".

This is the one where the Ascended ancient follows Sam back through the gate, invisibly, and then stalks her. Nobody believes Carter, they surveil her, she has to goto a psych eval, it's insulting. They give her no benefit of the doubt, very out of character. Sam herself though also makes some bad decisions (which realistically could have gotten her in big trouble). And then just the sleepy energy of ancient stalker.

Its still a watchable episode. Just felt out of character for everyone.

It does have the superb moment of Jack and Teal'c showing up at Carter's to watch Star Wars, and Teal's wearing his cowboy outfit. And later suggests they go watch some jello wrestling.

I've mentioned before but it's one of a group of episodes where the premise is "weird thing happens to a member of SG-1 and despite literally everything that has happened nobody will even pretend to believe them". The weird dimension shifting aliens episode with Jonas Quinn is another one.

To be honest you could probably group all SG-1 episodes into a small number of categories. "SG-1 arrive on a planet and fundamentally misunderstand the situation", "SG-1 find something weird and literally cannot help themselves from touching/injesting/licking it", "Goa'uld discovered one weird trick to stop SG-1" etc.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Rappaport posted:

Do we have enough for "weird bug who is not a goa'uld snake infests somebody"? There's the one where Teal'c makes friends with a small child, the goo worms that give people schizophrenia, arguably the sphere that spears Jack to the wall of the gateroom, any others? Carter gets a computer virus in her brain in one episode?

The season 9 episode with the scarab-type bugs that are carnivorous and use echolocation (I just watched that episode and I hate it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

I'm sure there was a period of time where the 304's had Asgard scientists on board. I'm just at the end of season 9 where they uh... go away, and it hasn't happened yet. Was that an Atlantis thing or am I misremembering the order of things?