Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Whenever discussing SG-1 I always like to bring up how Christopher Judge wrote a handful of episodes and wrote himself to have a scene kissing a beautiful woman in each one, Jolene Blalock in a few. Christopher Judge is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Treecko posted:

Nope, definitely talking about SG1, I was just being an rear end.

I have no idea what Sliders is but I might look into it

You better like O'Connell boys.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

GolfHole posted:

its pretty fortuitous that the show is called sg-1 and also their team is called sg-1 and that so many countless other teams have perished but not them, sg-1, the first one

I mean, they did die a few times.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

redshirt posted:

Agreed. I was also thinking why didn't SGC use Jaffa staff weapons more, or a modified form of them. Because certainly they could have got their hands on a lot of them.

They addressed that as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RslFT2PC8Y

Modified ones would've been interesting though, try to perfect their accuracy.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

redshirt posted:

Yeah, great episode, but I was kinda taken by surprise by how little closure it offered on the storyline. I read that they thought there would be another season was the reason.

Hence the movie, which did resolve that big storyling.

Yea, lucky the movies are both solid. To a certain degree SG-1 is perfect for a "and the adventure continues" type ending.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

We did get that episode about the 2 scientists, the one of which wanted so bad to be as cool as SG-1.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

snergle posted:

is that the one where carter gets a protege and takes her to that planet and wisps attack and they argue over if it was because the scientists were torturing one or if its because they passed the pole of the planet it orbits?

Nope, these two

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

With the infighting and constant war it's surprising an iris didn't become a more common thing for the Go'auld as well. Also kind of lucky the only gate that came with a built in iris like thing was Atlantis and its gate shield.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

McSpanky posted:

A gate doesn't need a DHD to connect an incoming wormhole, the wormhole provides the power. A connected DHD does give it priority if more than one gate is at that set of coordinates, however the Antarctic gate's DHD was damaged and nonfunctional from being frozen for millions of years. It was also buried in the ice for most of its existence; a fissure in the ice unburied it relatively recently. The Giza gate had a DHD until it was taken by German archaeologists in 1928.

Yea it seems like a DHD is basically just the controller with the software for the gate, which is why they were able to do weird things with the Earth gate like travel through that sun and nearly cause it to destroy itself, they could bypass the safeties without a DHD.

They made a wormhole with car batteries when they went to the past.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

And Daniel is only into women who will be or have been a Go'auld host, not Tokra.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

pixaal posted:

I was thinking who a modern RDA analog would be for a Stargate series would be, topping my list is Matt Berry

There would be about 10 syllables in Go'auld if he said it.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

You make him the second smartest person on Earth, you should use him. He does grow a lot and it's usually shown that his attitude is his biggest problem.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

Teal'c fitting in well at the Game of the Year awards

Dude always kills it at the Game Awards, this was him there in 2018:

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

well why not posted:

Daniel is the cute boy until about s4, that’s why he always gets the romance plots - which now look pretty suspect in todays context.

Then he gets a new haircut and starts lifting and they make him more of a moral compass for the team. He’s great in (best ep) The Other Side.

I had assumed Shanks was trying to make it in Hollywood for s5 and they were like “no, go back to Canada Daniel Jackson of SG-1” so he came back and fineagled an “and…” credit and some more cash.

Pierre Bernard just couldn't sway Hollywood the way he had hoped.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Worf posted:

we gonna pretend people in their 30s werent watching that poo poo when it came out

Or that most of us are still in our 30s

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Worf posted:

Jolene Blalock and Chris judge dialogue scenes are like bad video game cutscenes

They only exist to get to the point where they kiss

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

I want them to be professionals everywhere but when they are fishing at the cabin they have a quick casual kiss that Teal'c raises his eyebrows and looks at Daniel who shrugs and Teal'c says "Indeed".

That's the extent of it.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

redshirt posted:

*Maybourne comes in from off screen with a hot dog

*Laugh track

You got me, that's better

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

blatman posted:

its a race against time as the borg drones attempt to assimilate the replicators before they eat the entire cube but whats this, moya has just starburst onto the scene!

Until the Lexx lumbers into view, and it just ate.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

well why not posted:

SGA continues on, it’s pretty good! When it hits, it’s as good as SG1. However, it doesn’t hit often.

Three seasons in and Teyla finally has a plot line beyond stick fights and saying “my people” a lot. Her friendship with Ronon helps. John Shepard is kinda mean. It’s definitely the Rodney show most episodes.

Spare a thought for the stunt doubles who had to wear a Joe Flanigan wig.

Yea, I think it's another in the long line of syfy TV series of that era that succeeds because the cast works well with each other. That made a bunch of otherwise bizarre shows work for me.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

General Hammond gets called away on business and only Teal'c is around to babysit his two princess loving granddaughters.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Teal'c has to assemble a Jaffa baseball team after being challenged by the Stargate Command champs.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

JediTalentAgent posted:

Teal'c acts like a real Scrooge around the holidays because he doesn't have the Christmas spirit. The Goa'osts of Christmas Past, Present, and Future show up to show him the meaning of the season.

with special guest start Jaye Davidson

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

ChairmanMauzer posted:

I've been noticing SGA's Ronon (Jason Momoa) and Sheppard (Joe Flanigan) in a Guinness commercial together lately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyd1CUA-Yo4

I get the impression he likes working with his friends when he can, he's been in stuff with and in a movie directed by David Hewlett as well.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

The only Go'auld with a grand piano on his mothership so he can play jazz.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Jonl'c

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

That got me looking at the Stargate wiki and I like that the Daniel Jackson entry has 5 listings for died each with a (later revived) footnote.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

He just speaks their language

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

John Wick of Dogs posted:

T'okra lady was the genie on Weird Science the tv series. I recognized her last night the second she appeared.

And one of the Russian soldiers at the end of Spies Like Us.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

redshirt posted:

Spoilers for SGA season 4:

Sam arrives on SGA in Season 4 to assume command of the city, it's awesome to get more Sam action after SG1. But the best little easter egg is, in her office on Atlantis she has a little framed picture of Teal'c on her desk. I love it.

I had never noticed that, that's amazing I'll have to look for it when I catch random episodes on Pluto.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Sentient Data posted:

Tbf we do use crystals in every single computerized device, they're just used for timing instead of power

And dudes on Craigslist have known about the power of crystals for years.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

blatman posted:

we already have those its a taser

Taze your balls once and you die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Is there any material that explains how the Taur'i fought off the Goa'uld originally? And why they never tried to invade Earth again until Apophis got horny one night and started drunk dialing random planets looking for a wife?

Overwhelming uprising against Ra and then burying the gate until it was unearthed in the 50s.