Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

how has MGM so massively failed the franchise to the degree it's been basically dead for over a decade

this continues to baffle the poo poo out of me.

Just started SG1 with some friends and it's amazing how this throw-away trash tier series on Showcase with a whole 1/30th of X-Files viewership ends up having such a vibrant and fun atmosphere almost immediately.

and a lot of re-used music good lord lol

(It's not my first time. I told them to keep tabs on Walter's hairline.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

"I’m not going to stand up here, making long speeches. I’m going to stick to the script. No eight-minute speech like last year," Judge said, referencing the 2022 award ceremony when he won Best Performance for his role as Kratos in God of War Ragnarok. "But fun fact, my speech was actually longer than this year’s Call of Duty campaign," he added.

Teal'c fuckin' dunked on COD yesterday, I had no idea lol.

The COD devs are super salty.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

What episodes early on (Or series wide) should I consider reasonable to pass on as I series-watch with my friends?
We're not really completionist about it, so I want to cut out any trash should it exist.

It's been way too long for me to remember, none stand out in my memory.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

lmao too late we did all of those.

we had quite a giggle when it was pointed out by someone googling that code of honour and emancipation were written by the same person.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

EvilHawk posted:

It's been a long time since I've seen the movie, I know why Jack is in the position he was but uh... he didn't go alone. Obviously you're in the military and you're following orders but they go out of the way to get the guy who's got nothing left to live for to lead the mission and everyone else is just kinda chumps?

Special Forces are filled with people who are willing to be first in the breach for the honour and glory of coming back.
The lower the chance, the higher the glory.
So they're all in it for that, while Jack is in it because he wants to go out doing something worth dying for.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Leandros posted:

What a crock of poo poo. They're filled with bloodthirsty psychos that like to kill under the cover of air support. One of the female SG team in Atlantis said it best, if unintended, why she was in the Pegasus galaxy:

Jack is the hero of the story, that's why he is willing to sacrifice himself.

yeah and
bloodthirsty psychos who want the glory of killing people!
that's SF!

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

jackson starting to get shots where he's working out late in the series is always funny.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

As people have said Jackson is probably making plenty of money given he's a private contractor.
The rest of them make plenty of sense when you consider they probably stay on base most of the time and have extremely little expenses.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

redshirt posted:

I have so many questions about Teal'c's life on Earth. And in the SGC.

Is officially part of the Air Force? A private contractor? Is he free to leave the base and visit the city?
Where did he get that cowboy outfit?

He's actual enrolled in the coast guard in order to save costs, and makes enlisted pay.
O'Neil found out about this when he was in charge and had him commissioned under the name Teal Silk.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

FFT posted:

SG-1 is a known team, of course, but what even is the name for Sheppard's team? I just started S5E13 before bed and it opens with Woolsey saying "or, more precisely, your team has received an invitation" and what even is the name of it??

"Sheppard's team" maybe, from how the episode goes.

/e: oh hey it was the clip episode where Woolsey redeems himself after being a complete bureaucratic piece of poo poo constantly in SG-A up to this point. Long after his redemption as a bureaucratic piece of poo poo happened in SG-1

I'm sure this will carry through to the finale~

/e2: lmao the next episode is the one with David Foley playing a rival McKay that, iirc, traps everyone in a deathtrap, with cameos by Bill Nye and Neil deGrasse Tyson

I saw this one air live and it was wild.
This is before NGT had Twitter to ruin his own public standing by being an immense piece of poo poo.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

redshirt posted:

I don't know man, sending a stargate mid dial into a star....

I'd like to see bigger SG teams. 5 should be the default minimum. Why not a team of 8?

there's only so many people in the vancouver acting scene

realistically though, the small team size makes sense because there is extreme risk required with gate travel and each team requires highly trained, trusted, special forces
teams of 8 is 3 more people to die if something fucky happens.

you can also simply send in two teams if you need more people.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

did they just run out of money at the end of season 2, it gets like- not great
body swapping gimmick episode, naked mushroom people.
1969 is good though.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

EvilHawk posted:

On a general point you definitely can tell when they've saved money in the budget for a big blockbuster episode. Bottle episodes, episodes based on earth, episodes where they travel to planets that are suspiciously similar to late 1990s Canada, all indicators that something big has either just happened or is coming very soon.

yeah and the back end of season 2 has a lot of that.
really feels like they blew the budget in the first half and went "oh god uh, find some college drama kids and put some chalk on them uhhhh- we still got that field... gently caress it call up the x-files and ask if we can borrow one of their sets."

"uh get Daniel to walk down the street for a bit and slap some old person makeup on."

"hey one of the camera guys uncles has an old hippie bus maybe we can use that."

"oh yeah so the episode has them go to New York? circle around the block for a few hours for b-roll we can use up like 15 minutes, easy."

SRQ fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Mar 22, 2024

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

redshirt posted:

I mean, SG1 is the master of the Clip Show, and the Clip Show was entirely about saving money, and maybe giving the cast and crew some time off mid season.

oh my god season 2 actually ends with one

the backside of season 2 is definitely the low point, but season 3 opens spectacularly.

were they in danger of being cancelled? Teal'c having an opportunity to be written out and the obvious budget issues of late season 2 seems to hint at that.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

crispix posted:

maybourne is a dick :mad:

I like how awkward he and the senator are in S1/2.
They have legitimate actual arguments but the writers aren't quite sure how to counter those, so instead they just exaggerate them into comically awful and stupid people.
Like the opening argument is that maybe we shouldn't haphazardly put the entire planet at risk, as SG1 does constantly, but then the senator goes nuts and rants about jesus at the end of the episode.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

redshirt posted:

Mild spoilers there is a future clip show that features clips from a previous clip show, and dog gone, I love it.

which one

also it is always funny how MGM and Sci-Fi just... completely killed the franchise. Like holy poo poo, has there ever been a deep dive into what happened? They grew this from a cheap low budget Showtime throw-away show carried entirely by Richard Dean Anderson's charisma into supplanting Star Trek as the premiere science fiction show, and then promptly shat the bed entirely and the franchise has been dead for close to 15 years. Like dead dead, completely dead. Dead in a way that not even post-cancellation Star Trek was.

I cannot think of another example of a franchise so decisively killing itself than with the SG1 movies being lame trash and SGU cutting the heart out of the franchise.

No video games, no merchandizing, and they tried to launch a streaming service that was solely SG1 episodes.

SRQ fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Apr 19, 2024

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

well we just did hundred days and I cried a lil

not as heart wrenching as inner light, the clear inspiration, but well.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Rothman is fine but he's like, a realistic dorky academic.
Daniel is what dorky academics wish they were.

That's the difference.
It's very funny when I step back and realize that Daniel is quite often a self insert for liberal arts majors writing the scripts.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

so I was looking into it, as we're getting close to there
but did Daniel's actor really quit because he was annoyed at not being 'used enough'?
is this why season 7+ he's presented as a sexy macho man and has completely ejected his original character and multiple arcs revolve around how special he is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

SGC pondering adapting it for planetary use as some sort of black-budget weapon for wider release, then realizing the implication of "You can cover up your own dirty work perfectly" means it would be terrifyingly awful in mass-release.

It would also make Hitman games far too easy tbh.