Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Curtana
Feb 17, 2011

Scratch Monkey posted:

Who knew the galaxy looked so much like British Columbia?

Well, not the WHOLE galaxy, just the parts of the galaxy available to the stargate network, right? Parts the five races may have terraformed in parallel to developing the stargate network? Maybe the five races designed British Columbia by committee to create a ecosystem each of them could agree on? :v

Now that Earth has their own warp/hyper drives they can go out in ships and find more interesting planets with more interesting lifeforms and more interesting ecosystems! Oh, and let's not forget; more interesting ways to die!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Curtana
Feb 17, 2011

redshirt posted:

I mean sure attack planes are 360 and distance has different factors, but how is the carrier strategy still not effective?

Because fighters are worthless anywhere but in atmospheric conditions?

Curtana
Feb 17, 2011

We have carriers in real life because planes do things ships can't do, so having a ship built to bring planes around to do things ships can't do is great. However, that 'planes do things ships can't do' relies entirely on the difference between being in/on the water and being in the atmosphere on the same planet. In space, there's nothing like sitting just over the horizon and sending planes/helicopters/drones out to scout or sending out fighters or missiles or drones to strike things. The distances involved in interaction between two space ships just makes that impossible without wizards did it levels of ignoring the physics involved. Without space wizards you just can't have a reasonable analogue to planes in space. Nothing that is meant to be in space will do the same things as planes meant to be in atmosphere.

Curtana
Feb 17, 2011

alexandriao posted:

e: also as issac arthur mentions, just flooding space with some kind of smart shrapnel is the best option. Any projectile your opponent can fire is reasonably defended against by just randomizing your exact vector, space is so vast that the best they could do against this is probably close to a few hundred meters or kilometers. There is also no kind of shielding that makes you invisible, and the only cover are planets and moons

I don't believe there's any way to fill space with so much material of any kind or design that your enemy can't just not care about it. Maybe you keep it to really close to your objective, but then you can't move yourself either and the enemy can just move past your 'heavily materieled zone' if their objective isn't in that zone. If their objective is in that zone they can just wait at a distance for the debris to drift off or something. I just don't believe space combat can reasonably look like anything BUT ships staying so far away from each other even magically faster than light weapons will miss so long as the targets are doing the random movements in space thing without some serious magical thinking on the part of the viewers or creators.

Curtana
Feb 17, 2011

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

clearly you didn't see when Sam blew up a sun

Blowing up a sun is seriously magical thinking too, I bet.

McSpanky posted:

We can barely detect ship-sized asteroids coming right* at us, lol that space combat would hinge on detecting ships at far beyond standoff range if they don't want to be found.

*not directly but that would actually be harder anyway

The same equipment we use to barely detect ship-sized asteroids coming "right at us" would detect the heat from moving ships at the outer limits of the Solar System just fine, IF they were aimed in the right place. Our real limit on detecting stuff like that is how many of these telescopes we have in the first place. If you have these amazing space fighters and carriers WHY wouldn't you have thousands of space mirrors and cameras all over the star system?

Curtana
Feb 17, 2011

redshirt posted:

You'd move the gate to Iowa or some such, something wide open and flat. And then stage all sorts of material to be transported through the gate. My god, the Supply Chain negotations....

Can we build some kind of magnetic levitation loop around this gate to accelerate payloads to relativistic speeds and dial in to hostile worlds just as the payload approaches the gate? Would that get around the need to blow up suns to kill goa'uld? I feel like blowing up a sun to kill one goa'uld imight be a bit wasteful...

Curtana
Feb 17, 2011

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

Put the gate 10 feet underwater so it drains the ocean and everything is just floated towards it in big capsules which get dropped in the other world's ocean.

I think I remember an episode where they opened the gate to another stargate underwater, then used submersible vehicles to explore the other side. There was no flooding of the not submerged side then. Sorry. :/

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Do Asgard teleporters work through a gate? Has anyone ever tried? Because I'm picturing a gate opening up on an uninhabited world and suddenly *vwoosh* an entire prefab colony appears out of thin air.

Now, this? This is genius.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Curtana
Feb 17, 2011

redshirt posted:

Just spitballing, but you build supergates and send massive transport ships through them, and those ships have beaming tech.

Or maybe you make multiple smaller asgard beam machines and set them up to send the info about what to put stuff together over radio waves so you can have one beam machine at the dial-out gate dematerialize the stuff you want to transport and send the info through the gate as radio waves to the other beam machine at the destination, which puts the stuff together. Presto, changeo, you have star trek matter transportation but at intergalactic distances, thanks to gate technology! ABSOLUTELY nothing could go wrong!