Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
My brain loves replaying "IN THE MIDDLE OF MY BACKSWING?!" when I get interrupted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Sounds like this is also the rewatch thread now. Today's episode is the pilot!

In addition to not giving you any screenshots or the correct name, I will also offer you a compete lack of details because I'm not looking anything up.

Go watch the episode and report back. We're doing one episode a day, and feel free to be spoilerific since this is a general megathread after all

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Rappaport posted:

Sam going "I have my genitals on the inside" in the opener is also...Painful, but the show makes fun of it later on so maybe that's a kind of karmic pass? I don't know how teevee works

The take no poo poo who cares about biology strong woman stance was actually super progressive at the time. The specific words may be awkward, but power to carter :respek:

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Disease, nanobots, radiation, matter phase misalignment, mind control stuff, and temporal/dimensional shenanigans could all count as curses

:science:

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Rappaport posted:

You are not the only one who must endure some discomfort

Waiting until so late in the episode to give that reveal was such amazing pacing

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My take is that he wanted pushback on that

"What, can't even count to two?"
"Of course I can. One, two" (counting by lowering index finger then ring finger)

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Oh no, their forces are getting stronger... Call in the bad dragon

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

I don't blame him for getting less sober when he gets a chance to relax, nobody should have to raw dog Jack's reality

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

dr_rat posted:

Voyager looking directly at you here. Atlantis at least paid lip service to it a bit, and would show that yeah there were logistic issues and what not with supplies and going back and forth and what not if your base is in another galaxy.

Like sometimes it just feels like the writers don't like the entire premise of the show and just try and write their way out of it as quickly as possible.

Voyager crossed with new BSG. I wonder if a pitch with that kind of content existed at the time and what we got was the watered down result.

They could have gone semi-serial with it - they could make consequences permanent, but in the background. Damage to the ship, supply issues, losing/gaining crew members, modifications to the ship, upgrades to the systems, personal relationships/skills evolving, the works.

The actual content of the episodes don't have to be super dark or non-trek, it's just that the state of the ship and personnel would have been a background element. They can still go explore weird space penomena, get involved with alien politics, rescue derelict ships, and meet their mirror selves from a quantum inverse-polarity time loop resonance field effect. Letting things naturally evolve could have provided some more motivation/flavor to episodes while giving some of the mcguffins much more of a reason to exist

vvv: Neat, I haven't actually watched Enterprise; I let ds9 be my finale for tv trek

Sentient Data fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Sep 21, 2023

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Don't worry about thinking about things you haven't seen yet, a key theme is discovery and part of that is not having all of the information at certain points

I'm not necessarily saying everything was thought out super far ahead, just enjoy the ride

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Hammond better not die, he's getting my write in vote for president!

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

He does look great fully bald, but yeah that sucks if he requested hair and they said no

We need a :bald: hand motion emote

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

The high budget gritty adaptation of wormhole x-treme, I love it

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Eye makeup, a hand thing, and a haughty attitude is probably the way to go

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Now I want to see a Reno 911 style SG team

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

*thump*, *thump*, *th-thump*

"Okay, that's it for the inbound! Who had 4 into the iris on the deadpool this time around?"

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

I bet it was a sticking point between the show's military advisor (keep it closed, idiots) and producers (if it's always closed then it doesn't look like the stargate we paid for, idiot)

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

I'm pretty sure the :techno: was that the iris was at a super precise position which let things just barely begin to materialize but instantly get telefragged

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

I wish there was some kind of dream episode where he was his Farscape character dropped into the SG universe, I feel like he would actually mesh really well with some of the craziness going on at that point

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

You're forgetting that the SG project is headed by American military, that means that almost every 4 years a new administration will come in and pass executive orders that flip-flop whether UTC or Atlantis Standard is the basis for Pegasus operations

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

:perfect:

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

If anyone in this thread happens to be in Hollywood-ish circles, try to hunt down the writers of the first Hammond of Texas episode and let them know that the joke has lived on in our hearts for decades

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Budget for sci-fi leaps in technology is based on current military allocations adjusted for the expected inflation that would happen during the technology gap measured in years. Rudimentary fusion? Double the budget since its maybe a couple decades. Asgard tech? Well, poo poo, that 7 bil budget just grew several orders of magnitude

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

redshirt posted:

And that's what it seems like, possession. You get some small portion of their power, but now have to answer to them and do their bidding.

No, no, that's just employment

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

I'd be down to just spend time in the ship's galley whipping up jello cubes

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

As long as everyone agrees to treat space as a simple 2d plane and use extremely extremely slow weapons and short distances (when considered at a void scale) then yeah I'm sure existing navy tactics will work great

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My post was revealed as a replicator when i tried to edit

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Find some barren resource-less planets and wire in some computer gizmos to their DHDs in order to remotely DDOS the gate of anyone that's causing trouble

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

You're confused, we live in the Milky Way

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

If the gold fits :black101:

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Honestly all of the intercharacter relationships i can think of are both interesting and realistic, and they help build a more complete character for each. Are there any non-guest relationships that stick out as particularly odd or out of character?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

The dangers of polishing your First Prime insignia, too shiny and tempting

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Since they were able to manually account for stellar drift to make the addresses work again, that means they have the means to target a gate at any physical place. That means they can strap a stargate and reactor to a rocket and use the event horizon as a superweapon

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

I hope i don't learn anything about rda, he seems like a really cool and chill dude making the right moves and that's more than enough in my book

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

stringless posted:

At least in the Stargate universe, the simple tech thing we missed was apparently crystals all along.

Tbf we do use crystals in every single computerized device, they're just used for timing instead of power

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

It's not showing weapons, it's showing what tool they use to open a locked door