Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Mayborne is always a fun time, it's Kinsey who is the absolute rear end in a top hat. And he gets his comeuppance, too! :science:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

redshirt posted:

God, that actor (Ronny Cox I think is his name) is such a great bad guy. You love to hate him!

He definitely delivers. And there's even the episode where Jack and Maybourne (misspelled his name earlier) go visit him, and it is both intimidating and hilarious.

Same thing with Ba'al, really (:rip: Cliff Simon), he just turns the smarm up to 11 and has nefarious, world-destroying schemes, but the acting performance is wonderful and you sort of want to like him even though he's definitely a big bad after the horrific torture episode in, I want to say season 6?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

redshirt posted:

RIP Don S Davis. He'll always be my SGC Commander.

Just like the in-joke was that Siler always got electrocuted and whatnot because he was the stunt coördinator, I think it's fantastic that Garland Briggs wound up running the Stargåte program.

Don S. Davis was a hoot in interviews, too, he was a real party fellow

Rappaport fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jul 18, 2023

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

redshirt posted:

One of the least believable things about the show is they kept the Stargate secret from the public.

There's dozens of reasons why that would not work, but consider just the fact that SG teams took a pretty high fatality rate. How are you explaining to widows how your husband was KIA but not in any known conflict?

Even putting aside the forever war aspect of the military-industrial complex of the US, "Ma'am / Sir, it's classified" is a kind of big gently caress off and don't ask questions answer. And whose mind would go first to ancient portals to other solar systems and snakes in heads?

I mean Wormhole X-treme, sure, but that guy actually was from outer space.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

The girl with a bomb in her was adopted by a member of Stargåte Command, and she's shown as an old woman presumably participating in its operation in the 1969 episode.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I suppose the Manhattan project is a bad example since they did have communist spies in there, and they got the death penalty, woof, but that real-world project involved hundreds of people too.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

redshirt posted:

And they were all sequestered on site and hush hushed. Ostensibly SGC folks are just working for the Air Force at Cheyenne Mountain. As we see, they all have regular lives in the real world.

Richard Feynman is a bit of an unreliable narrator, but he makes a bit of a deal about how he goofed around the military in Los Alamos just for the sake of being a jack-rear end, so "sequestered" might be a bit much here. But I'm with itry, cleaning crews with security clearances higher than Samantha's dad? Good luck, USAF

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Jacob's heel/face turn is one of the best parts of the show. "Apparently, I am the oldest and wisest amongst them" indeed!

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

redshirt posted:

LOL rank your top 3 Tokra.

Well, Jacob, obviously

Sam's love interest was OK I guess

And the Weird Science lady tok'ra was a great chaos elemental

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

redshirt posted:

Is that the one with the lie detector equipment, and the smoking hot bod?

She also gives them the bracers for super-speed that almost wind up killing SG-1

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Aragosta posted:

Tony Amendola is also a gem in the show as Master Bra'tac. I always smile when I see him.

The season 1 finale season 2 starter double episode is a wonderful time all around, but Jack and Bra'tac discussing what is a grenade is just splendid.

Ches Neckbeard posted:

The Ancients are the real villain's of Stargate. Should've used the Dakara mcguffin on them to. gently caress em.

I mean this is obvious, the Ancients are wizards

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

itry posted:

Anyway, I'm sorry but that just happens to be how I feel about it. What do you think?

Ask me again tomorrow

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

redshirt posted:

Give me an example of a poorly aging episode please.

Emancipation

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Sam going "I have my genitals on the inside" in the opener is also...Painful, but the show makes fun of it later on so maybe that's a kind of karmic pass? I don't know how teevee works

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Making this a whack-a-mole no true scotsman doesn't really help. They said some episodes haven't aged well, and that is their perception, but the show has absolutely fantastic episodes too, no reason to argue.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

He used her as an excuse in an episode where he had to go undercover.

Also the episode where she actually featured in was called A Hundred Days, so Teal'c didn't dig that long. I think General Hammond, of Texas, even has dialogue that Teal'c has a window of a few hours before he suffocates.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Insert Jacob/Selmak getting irate about planting a Lockheed Martin sticker on a modified staff weapon here

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

redshirt posted:

I was thinking more like cannons or other heavy weapons.

Teal'c does merk Tanith with a heavy cannon at the start of 48 hours

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

redshirt posted:

Speaking of Lockheed Martin, how in the world did they build such huge spacecraft so quickly AND still keep it secret?

I mean, those are aircraft carrier sized constructions right? Would have involved thousands of workers.

The US congress is having hearings about UFOs right about now, and the guys testifying aren't exactly widely hailed as heroes in the media.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Overdog posted:

Man this thread is getting deep

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

This thread is pretty great too, it made me watch 48 Hours just now and this is a fun episode :yeah:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

redshirt posted:

Season 4 episode 6 "Window of Opportunity" is the best SG1 episode IMO, in that it contains everything that makes the show special. The humor, firstly. But also the cool sci fi concept. And lastly the real emotion of the show, when Jack snaps at the guy over his dead son.

I honest to Ba'al can't place 'em in any particular order, but my favourites:

-Window of Opportunity for sure. You are not the only one who must endure some discomfort, etc.
-Season 1 end season 2 opener two-parter. This is where the show really kicks off its shoes and opens a bottle of bourbon.
-The black hole episode. It's a bit on the drama side, but I get a kick out of the time dilation gag and how it gives Hammond, of Texas, a head-ache.
-1969. A good year!
-Season five, "Fail Safe". It's an existential threat to all of Earth, but the episode is a straight-up comedy show. I am confident. As am I.

Okay that's five, that's good enough. I also like Ba'al in general, and while I missed Jack in the last two seasons, Vala is a good source of humour for a lot of that run. Mitchell is a bit eh.

EvilHawk posted:

Oh man how did I miss this thread? I just started my regular (every 3 years or so, I think) rewatch. Up to the middle of season 3 so far. :words:

Sadly it's their job to touch the weird alien stuff on the plinths :smith: The huge cathode ray tube sets are pretty funny these days (Daniel's screen saver :allears:), but the show wasn't on quite long enough to have the kind of transition shows like :doink: SVU does. In the first season, you have the detectives answering cord phones, staring at CRT screens, and Munch faxing poo poo back and forth. 20+ years later and everybody's just using their smart phones to do all the evidence collecting that doesn't require the coroner or a rape kit.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

itry posted:

You may not like him (for Sam), but O'Neill isn't creepy at least.

It's my side-arm, I swear!

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

A ha'tak is about 700 by 700 by 400 meters, so it'd be a visible thing in Earth orbit. Wasn't there some techno-babble about Asgard ships having some kind of cloaking tech that makes them invisible to mere Tau'ri detectors?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

In the goa'uld asteroid trap episode they do explicitly have men in black take an amateur astronomer in and "persuade" him not to talk about seeing it, and it's left to the viewer's imagination what that meant :tinfoil:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

EvilHawk posted:

The Tollans are assholes but they are completely right in not getting involved. SG teams show up and immediately get involved in whichever conflict they find (or inadvertently cause). The season 4 episode 2 episode "The Other Side" really shows how silly this is when they end up nearly giving support to a genocidal group of lunatics. Meanwhile the Tollans, when encountered with anyone they (rightly) judge are technologically inferior, say "no, gently caress you, you morons. Deal with your own poo poo." They don't get involved with anyone's stupid conflicts, and become best buds with the cool hippy race.

:colbert:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

redshirt posted:

Dead false gods.

Ba'al will never die, only the actor who played him :smith:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

It is a feel-good show, and we're meant to think that Hammond, of Texas, and SG-1 are good and competent. But it also makes for a good venue for drama. One of the more memorable scenes is when Daniel and Jack disagree with Jack's actions towards the momma of the replicators. They're both extremely confident that they're right, and it's pretty gut-wrenching to see that play out.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

alexandriao posted:

Kinda, yes. But they also make very clear that the SG teams are lucky that that specific man is in charge, they also take potshots at the rest of the us military/air force/pentagon stuff when they can.

Like, in the first episode Jack has to convince the rest of the SGC to not throw a nuke through and be done with it. Also comes to mind the episode where Hammond is replaced and the first thing the guy does almost nukes the SGC.

Yeah, the show has Tau'ri antagonists, but it was done in collaboration with the US military and does tend to emphasize the idea that these are Good Guys Protecting Are Freedoms. They even rehabilitate Mayborne as a lovable scoundrel. The really bad ones get rekt.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Yeah. Snergle, I would suggest trying to go through it until the season 1 finale and the season 2 opener. That is where the show really kicks off and demonstrates what it wants to be, and does it in style.

I think season 1 has the weird Hathor episode somewhere, that one is a miss too. Other than that, it's mostly fun sci-fi times from now on.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Teal'c: I have read of a place where humans do battle in a ring of Jello.
O'Neill: Call Daniel. *tosses phone*

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

EvilHawk posted:

I think Jack generally proves himself to be a great judge of character. Most of the time when someone seems too good to be true, it's O'Neill who's the one who refuses to take things at face value. He's certainly arrogant and thinks he knows right, which doesn't always come off, but it makes sense for him to be in charge of the lead team.

Okay, but, Jack loved the space Nazis. Rene Auberjonois was very charming, sure, but still.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I was just busting Jack's balls there, I'm aware the show has a somewhat grounded (:haw:) take on the poo poo-show that is the military. That was Daniel's big thing before he got swole, and everything.

A good character moment for Jack was in the black hole episode when he vents about his experiences in an Iraqi prison after he was left behind by his unit.

Plus the show was conceived in the era of X-files, so some criticism about the alphabet agencies and the gummint was to be expected!

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

redshirt posted:

As an easy example of the inherent sexism/racism/isms of our institutions, I give you the fact that Sam gets hit on by almost every new professional colleague she works with. Name them, they probably tried to hit on Sam. Aliens, Diplomats, NID Agents, etc.

Now maybe its a TV thing, but how many romantic encounters did Jack have? Less than 6?

The best one was the love... Square? Jack and Daniel had with the host and symbiote of the Weird Science tok'ra lady.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

redshirt posted:

Speaking of Teal'c, he must get paid, right? He has regular clothes, obtains donuts and pizza, has many candles.

:regd08:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Scratch Monkey posted:

General Hammond vs Major Briggs?

They're the same character op :iit:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Sentient Data posted:

*thump*, *thump*, *th-thump*

"Okay, that's it for the inbound! Who had 4 into the iris on the deadpool this time around?"

I don't really care about the language thing, none of the mythology-related lore makes any sense at all, but this irrationally bugs me. The iris is the most crucial thing of gate travel safety, and it's wildly inconsistent in how it is portrayed. Of course the real answer is that no one actually wants to invest screen time for them to use the widget every single time there's a dramatic jump to safety to be made, but still.

But on the other hand, we got a cool scene for Rene Auberjonois, so I guess it all evens out.

alexandriao posted:

I really like this, but it's an XCOM/Xenonauts styled thing. Same premise but more focus on the basebuilding and deployment

I absolutely love John Billingsly in this and it's contemporaneous with his Trek appearance, too, which just makes the whole character a cherry on the top lol

Also I really loved him in Man From Earth
The Man from Earth is an incredible feel-good movie :allears:

Rappaport fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Oct 8, 2023

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

The point of burying the gate is that the "whoosh" can't happen, isn't it? Sokar did a thing with a particle accelerator, but the iris is meant to keep folks out.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I was thinking of that episode too, but I can't remember what the technobabble was that the whoosh formed. The meteorite did something something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

alexandriao posted:

I have heard of a place where humans do battle in a ring of jello

Call Daniel