Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I am watching this for the first time.

I watched episode 1 last night (or the first half of episode 1 as Amazon labels it) and Eps 2-6 so far today.

Episode 4 was sketchy and hilariously the worst episode of the series according to everyone. Because it was so bad I had to check out what people's opinions of it were. Then I found it was written by the same person as TNG's episode 4, which is also the worst episode of THAT series!

However what was most notable to me is Shane from Power Rangers Ninja Storm was in it, a few years before being on Power Rangers. Is this show produced in New Zealand? Am I gonna see more power rangers caneos?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

God drat episode seven the one with the blue crystal planet was a banger, real powerhouse performance by Richard Dean Anderson.

I haven't watched the original movie in a long time and forgot that bit of his backstory.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

I thought they did a good job of keeping it as part of his backstory without making it his entire personality.

When I was in high school I watched a lot of MacGyver on TV Land and I remember hearing or reading that the character was anti gun because that was actually Richard Dean Anderson's personal stand and he never wanted the character to use a gun. So it was jarring to see him actually use one in this show but I'm sure that part of the character background was something he really wanted to portray.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah it filmed in Vancouver, so you will see every Canadian west coast character actor appear in it at some point (sometimes multiple points!), and also in all the other sci-fi shows because they're all filmed in Vancouver for some reason.

On this, I was not prepared for peaceful forest goblin Quark

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They really love putting Richard Dean Anderson in silly makeup, this old man makeup was hilarious.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I just realized Teal'c is the same dude who plays God of War and gave an incredibly long acceptance speech at the game awards

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Episode 10: I can't believe the concept of the first Goa'uld was introduced and resolved in a single seemingly throwaway episode. Obviously the lore here of the Asgardians and Thor is probably going to be important though. And James Earl Jones!?!?

Episode 11: I do not remember this old lady character from the movie. Michael Shanks you are a dumbass, Richard Dean Anderson you are a genious

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

God drat, in the R'yac episode, can't believe Shanks wasted those Goa'uld larvae

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Also the government wants you to bring back tech. In these eleven or twelve episodes you have killed like at least a dozen snake men, bring them back a couple more of those fuckin staffs

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Oh hell yeah, a fish man!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I kind of think they should not take Teal'c on most missions. Like 50% of the time someone thinks they are allies of the Goa'uld and everything goes sideways

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Next episode, which I will have to have for tomorrow:

A Goa'uld who had taken on the persona of the Egyptian sex goddess, Hathor, casts her deadly spell over all the men in the Stargate base

This sounds like an episode that was probably better on Showtime but I think Amazon is all the syndication cuts

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The opening credits theme is an all time banger but there's one part of the theme that kicks in that is really exciting like for an action packed moment, the credits accentuate this part of the theme by showing you the bald general in his dress uniform pointing at a whiteboard

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Oh, do you get to experience the "Next time, on Stargate SG-1!" previews? Sometimes they overplay the threat to the point of humour.

Amazon skips credits directly to the next episode as soon as the screen goes to black before I can even grab my remote and tell it not to

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Do they make the doctor character main cast at any point?

She's charming and has a good personality, she's great at her job, it's a role that seems like it would be an important one in a show like this, she's hot, she's already in like half the episodes. She should be in the opening credits.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Chronojam posted:

For SG1? Doctor ends up in some good Jack and Tealc episodes, but she also features in a couple good multi-parters and joins some teams through the gate.

I want her getting that opening credits money

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Teal'c episodes I'm hoping they do

1) Teal'c is discovered by a modeling agency
2) Teal'c goes to a baseball game with Jack
3) Teal'c has to coach a little league hockey team
4) Teal'c wins the lottery
5) Teal'c starts a band
6) General Hammond gets a call from Washington that all personnel have to have at least a bachelor's degree including Teal'c and he had to go on an accelerated course of study at Colorado Mesa University but the Dean is a Goa'uld

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Apr 7, 2024

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Teal'c's wife files for divorce and the only way Teal'c can see his children is by disguising himself as an elderly nanny

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Christopher Judge is kind of an insanely pretty man

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It really helps to me that there's is a pretty small cast compared to a lot of shows. You got four main characters, their boss, and shells the doctor character.

I'm not even through season one of course but it seems like characters also recur when it would make sense and you do get to see those relationships develop.

But like Voyager which is roughly contemporaneous: Janeway, Chakotay, Neelix, Kes, Paris, Torres, Kim, Doctor, Tuvok - you will see all of these characters in most episodes whether or not they'd be directly relevant. This show really isn't about character relationships or development for the most part

SG-1: Teal'c, Carter, O'Neill, Jackson, General - And sometimes the general isn't even in it cause none of the episode takes place on Earth. You just get a lot more time with everybody

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

So far in SG-1 the main inconsistency I get is O'Neill sometimes is able to inherently understand a complicated situation pretty fast, but sometimes he's real boneheaded when the situation seems really obvious to me, the audience.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I like this little guy with the big glasses who operates the computer, I don't know if he's ever even been given a name, just seems like a pretty cool little dweeb. Professional.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Just reached the season 1 finale and then season 2 opener. All time great cliffhanger and satisfying conclusion. I liked it better than Best of Both Worlds

Edit: Only thing that would have made the episode better was that senator showing up to eat poo poo and give a mea culpa

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Apr 7, 2024

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

One weird thing that just occurred to me, TNG in development originally they were not going to have ships and be advanced enough to just transport people to other planets, or that was at least one of the concepts they toyed with in development phase. At the same time, Roddenberry came up with the premise for the conspiracy episode which was about parasite alien worms inside people that took over. And these were originally possibly going to be the major antagonist of TNG.

So Star Trek TNG was almost Stargate

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I like how Carter always enunciates Goa'uld correctly and sometimes the characters will literally spell it and say how it is pronounced to others, but Daniel Jackson is always like "Watch out for the goolds"

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

FFT posted:

This is the "Rewatch Stargate SG-1 Season 2 Episode 21" page.

I got like 18 episodes before I get there

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Hahaha ok the way Daniel Jackson's parents died is actually insane

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Amanda Tapping really makes you fall instantly in love with Captain Carter every episode

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Ok sweet Jesus the next episode. It's a very special addicted to drugs episode but for the purposes of this metaphor the drug is sleeping in a magic coffin

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The complete lack of even the most basic safety measures astounds me. Given that both his parents are dumb enough to go out that way, it's surprising Daniel hasn't... Wait, nevermind. Yeah, it makes perfect sense that Daniel's parents are so death prone.

And he became an egyptologist. It's like a Batman villain origin story

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Chronojam posted:

Eh the science coffin is kinda integral to the plot though.

So metaphorically all the system lords are the way they are cause they're huge cokeheads

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

If I were Daniel Jackson in the simulation of my parents dying on loop I'm pretty sure I'd get them out in like the second try. They view me as a kid, I just start shouting "gently caress poo poo Piss Bitch! Those are my new favorite words! gently caress poo poo piss bitch!" They would walk outta their deathtrap to come grab me pretty loving fast.

Winning O'Neill's scenario would be more difficult but I'd try uh lying to kawalsky and saying we just did a bit of reconnaissance before they got there and there's a lot more guys than they thought. Which is true. Draw out a map and point out where their guys are.

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Apr 9, 2024

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Watched the first episode with actual Thor in it yesterday. I am so glad that somehow over 25 years I did not have that reveal spoiled for me. Every time the holographic Viking version showed up I was chortling at how lovely a Thor it was, but very cool reveal.

I like how despite this show seeming fairly colonialist, every time they return somewhere so far they have seen consequences for their actions loving things up and been like "Maybe we shouldn't have did that"

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It's not entirely clear whether Simmons died from infection or not in the last episode with the 100,000 year old alien probe.

Also I am continuously flummoxed by how much Goa'uld weaponry and technology the team just leaves on the ground. They could have dozens of Jaffa staffs back at HQ by now for analysis and reproduction. But they always just grab one only to make sure Teal'c still has one.

Like Teal'c and O'Neill just killed like a full battalion of troops all carrying staffs, and didn't even carry them back to the cave all the people were hiding in to help with defense.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Why is it O'Neil in the movie and O'Neill in the series? Some kind of legal thing?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That's good. Teal'c's staff seems like they use it as a doorstop sometimes

Or the thing where you're running from some guys and you go through a double door, and then you slide the Jaffa staff through the two door handles so the guys chasing you on the other side can't open the door

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Apr 11, 2024

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Ok when I started this episode I did not think it would pivot to giving a child ECT, lol

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

redshirt posted:

What episode?

Teal'c's son brainwashed by Apophis, early season 2. They give him electro shock

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Ok now Daniel is in Abydos and Share is pregnant with Apophis baby. But she has her own mind while pregnant cause the Goa'uld within sleeps.

Uh hey guys why don't you gate yourselves directly to Cimmaron where Thor's hammer will fix your entire problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

redshirt posted:

They broke Thor's Hammer.

Thor replaced it three episodes ago with a new one that works the same way except it doesn't affect Teal'c