Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

redshirt posted:

One of your favorite gifs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

itry
Aug 23, 2019

The pilot is something like a direct sequel to the movie, iirc. I only watched the movie once, but I guess that's where the tone was coming from (before the show got to develop its own).

redshirt posted:

This episode (Window of Opportunity) is the best example of why SG1 is so incredible. It's a great episode, a time loop comedic episode, that all of a sudden at the end packs a dramatic punch. The show was funny, could make fun of itself, and yet took itself serious too.

A very funny episode, and a very sad story. Yeah.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

I am not Lucy :raise:

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Unless I'm forgetting something... The story relies on Apophis butt dialing both Earth and Abydos in the same week. You may think it had something to do with the death of Ra, but no, Pophis was just looking for a bride and accidently hit up Earth even though the original number hasn't been in service for thousands of years and they had to take stellar drift into account to get the correct current number.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Sounds like a Yu problem.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

pixaal posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amWZaTxE6D0

I think the show could have used more Nerus food reviews. Not many, but man they should have revisited this concept.

Urgo and Nerus cooking contest show :allears:

itry
Aug 23, 2019

It's possible the cafeteria is in sublevel 5 and the workers don't get access to the rest of the facility. The cleaning people are who you should be wondering about. Edit: Do we ever see Hammond vacuuming his own office?

redshirt posted:

How have I never seen this before? Who is that guy?

Urgo? The pie guy?

itry fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jul 19, 2023

itry
Aug 23, 2019

redshirt posted:

How have I never seen this before? Who is that guy?

It's Nero Wolfe, a great detective, and food and orchid aficionado.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Saroosh was cool.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Anyway, I'm sorry but that just happens to be how I feel about it. What do you think?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

itry
Aug 23, 2019

A lot of episodes also don't hold up to scrutiny longer than a couple of seconds, but that's standard fare for the format I guess.

Regardless...

Rappaport posted:

...the show has absolutely fantastic episodes too, no reason to argue.

:hai:

itry
Aug 23, 2019

GolfHole posted:

how many l's can you stack on oneil before its too many

:wrong:

itry fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jul 22, 2023

itry
Aug 23, 2019

IIRC it's a Desperados-like game. It could be fun (if it ever comes out), but I'm not sure that kind of gameplay can support the kind of Stargate stories I like. Don't know what kind of gameplay would, tbf.

Edit: Anyway, there's some kind of "live event" today in an hour on Twitch
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1523650/view/3660914264318308097

Rappaport posted:

Ask me again tomorrow

:hfive:

itry fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jul 27, 2023

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Stream over. The game will be released in two parts, because :shrug: . You can register for a beta through the dev's website, which I think will have 7 missions.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Asterite34 posted:

It does feel like a recurring thing that the Goauld seem to have an inordinate fondness for Earth culture beyond the utility of just posing as gods. Like long after contact with Earth has been lost and they could in theory style their feudal domains however they want on other planets, they stick with the Egyptian theme (or whatever culture they're ripping off). Thor and the other Asgard put on the trappings of Norse gods when interacting with people because it made things go smoother than trying to talk to a bunch of Iron Age villagers while looking like Greys, but they drop the facade the second it's not necessary anymore.

Maybe it's part of the whole parasite thing, they barely have any culture of their own and when exposed to some new and novel customs they get addicted to them. It's why every Goauld who spends significant time on Earth in the modern day goes native and immerses themselves in it (Ba'al being the biggest example, but there are a few others)

The genetic memory thing probably doesn't help. Ra found a human host and got really into Ancient Egyptian culture (he was probably using an Unas at the time, and they aren't very big on architecture or w/e), and then every new Goa'uld from his bloodline basically started as a Ra-copy with who knows how many hundreds of years of "this is how things are / should be" in their head. Fast forward a few millenia and almost the entirety of Goa'uld culture is Ra-style because he was such a dominant system lord.

It's a shame that (iirc) they didn't go into further detail into what being born with thousands of years of memories does to one's psyche. The Tok'ra existing at all is some sort of a small miracle.
There was that Harcesis thing, but it's not the same. He had the luxury of refusing those memories. I'm thinking more of something from the point of view of a symbiote.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

pixaal posted:

This is why I really want a reboot if they pick it back up and not continuing this universe. Let's explore a goa'uld dominated universe in more detail please.

Do allow for cameos using that awesome dimensional stone thing though!

I think it's dead, Jim :(

Edit: It would be interesting to explore though, for sure.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

I think what I dislike most about S9/S10 (besides the universe shrinking to a gaggle of smugglers, one medievalesque set, and Earth) is the almost complete lack of Zats. It's like whoever ran the last two seasons had something against them.
Every memeber of SG-1 should have their rifle plus sidearm, a zat, and the complementary brick of C4 :colbert:

itry fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Aug 9, 2023

itry
Aug 23, 2019

pixaal posted:

Shanks loving hated the Zats
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGFz3X8PqKM

After seeing this I love looking for people pulling the trigger on it and effects missing it. It's a fun little game.

lol I remember watching this clip however many years ago. It's still good to have a stun option in your arsenal, w/e form it takes.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Yeah, the staffs are obviously very inaccurate. As for why they didn't modify them... I guess the producers/writers decided that laser weapons with inifinte ammo for every person would be too much like Star Trek.

Tunicate posted:

There was talk of a series using only the movie for continuity

So a complete reboot.

It's amazing how little they've done with the Stargate rights since the terrible SGU thing.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

edit: the font got messed up >:(

Only registered members can see post attachments!

itry fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Aug 9, 2023

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Sentient Data posted:

Waiting until so late in the episode to give that reveal was such amazing pacing

Great episode. 10/10. No notes.

pixaal posted:

this should be the full version if you want to listen to the entire thing it's pretty good but an hour.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36uLLJPa61Y

Watched the full thing. Some neat and funny stories in there. Like, according to Shanks, apparently the character of Vala wasn't meant to be a regular.

Rappaport posted:

Okay that's five, that's good enough. I also like Ba'al in general, and while I missed Jack in the last two seasons, Vala is a good source of humour for a lot of that run. Mitchell is a bit eh.

Speaking of Vala... I was really impressed with the way that they managed to build a believable connection between Daniel and Vala in such a short (in-universe) time, and in only a handful of episodes too. From what was basically just an over the top Farscape easter egg, to surviving the terrible stuff they went through together. It felt surprisingly authentic.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

redshirt posted:

Sam's Best Boyfriends, ranked:

1 Martouf
2 That Replicator
3 That Ancient Stalker guy
4. loving Pete
5 Jack

Now that's just going too far. The ancient hikikomori thing (that entire episode really) was sooo loving creepy.

Edit:

Koboje posted:

I was always sad Lord Yu got offed unceremoniously. My favorite System lord along with BALL. It felt like he was mostly trying to keep poo poo running and was tired of the youngster System lords screwing around, with him semi cooperating with SG1 several times and not being quite as openly villainous as the others I was wondering if he and his domain was gonna survive in some fashion with people and Jaffa simply choosing to continue to serve him after most other lords had been toppled and their people freed.

Yu's first prime knew he was senile and chose to protect him regardless. Truly an outlier. But even if he somewhat mellowed / got tempered because of his condition, no way a system lord that ancient wasn't a complete monster.

itry fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Aug 10, 2023

itry
Aug 23, 2019

redshirt posted:

Name a less creep alternative to Tolan guy.

lol fuckin Pete??

You may not like him (for Sam), but O'Neill isn't creepy at least.

Eeyo posted:

I’m just borrowing the dvds from my library (we’ll i’m going to watch through tng first, but I’m gonna mix in stargate too).

:hfive:

itry
Aug 23, 2019

It's pretty funny how Rodeny incel McKay got turned into a main character. Perhaps the worst introduction to a main character in the entire franchise?

itry
Aug 23, 2019

redshirt posted:

I've just started watching Atlantis and I'm having a hard time with him. He's a liability on away missions both strategically and diplomatically. He's an rear end in a top hat to his colleagues. Sure he's wicked smart and does save the day, but.....

Perhaps he develops into something more. I wouldn't know, because I never finished SGA.

redshirt posted:

Indeed. And that serves a good narrative purpose since you can't (usually) kill your main characters, so having SG-5 eat it put some realistic consequences on what they were doing. Which was war.

Everyone in SG-1 died multiple times though. They got better, but they did die.

Edit: Even if you don't include alternate timelines/dimensions, there's still Daniel that died like 5 times throughout the show.

itry fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Aug 15, 2023

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Cthulu Carl posted:

The funniest thing about Stargate Atlantis to me was the fact that my sister had a crush on Rodney... And Ronon.

I wonder what the venn diagram looks like :pseudo:

itry
Aug 23, 2019

ChairmanMauzer posted:

So I never really got into Atlantis when it was airing, but since I've been doing this SG1 re-watch I thought I'd check it out.

What's the best way to integrate Atlantis into a SG-1 re-watch? Just alternate seasons after they introduce the Atlantis subplot on SG-1?

By original airdate? :shrug:
Or maybe by ignoring it completely outside of the crossover episodes.

GolfHole posted:

like 6 pages back someone was brave enough to admit they liked universe and i do too!!!!!!

:ohdear:

itry
Aug 23, 2019

pixaal posted:

Universe was BSG lite, the first season spends most of its time establishing how hosed they are and they just spend too long doing it. Season 2 it finds legs and starts working. Then it's done. I really feel like universe was going to be great if it kept going. It's like firefly a start with no middle or ending.

Baltar lite is annoying for most of it.

SGU was made to be, or at least came across as, a poor imitation of BSG. They got the looks of it fairly right, but nothing else. It wasn't as good as BSG (not even the poorer S3/S4), and it wasn't as fun as SG-1. It was a nothingburger.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

lol

itry
Aug 23, 2019

It's their first appearance, according to the fandom wiki.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

There was also sulfur planet. Edit: The one with the blue crystals.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

I thought the hook was McGuyver space adventures.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

The hook is Teal'c's right eyebrow.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

SG-1 make plenty of mistakes though. Half the time they just bumble through their wins. But it is absolutely a sort of feel-good adventure show, more often than not. IIRC, rarely do any of the stories end on a minor key. Some of them are bittersweet, but it's almost always some kind of a victory, moral or otherwise.

McKay is a poo poo though. No doubt. Atlantis in general feels like a fan(fiction) remix of SG-1.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Rappaport posted:

Hammond, of Texas

https://i.imgur.com/QU2mLn7.mp4

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Good news, snergle, there are a lot more good episodes than bad.

Rappaport posted:

One of the more memorable scenes is when Daniel and Jack disagree with Jack's actions towards the momma of the replicators. They're both extremely confident that they're right, and it's pretty gut-wrenching to see that play out.

I think that was one of the only a handful of times Daniel got properly upset about something in the entire series. That rarity in itself lends weight to any such interaction. He's usually a lot more zen.

redshirt posted:

I've read that's why they invented the organization "NID", so they could be the government bad guys, without actually naming any real government agencies or military as the bad guys.

That's what happens when you rely on the military for props and poo poo. You end up giving a general that can't act some lines, and making up mystery organizations to not hurt your liasions' feelings.

alexandriao posted:

Also, SG-1 predicted Trump,

down to the mannerisms.

Great work by the actor, but what a slimey gross character :shudder:

itry
Aug 23, 2019

redshirt posted:

To be fair, the NID did have a dedicated focus on offworld tech/threats, which no actual Government agency has. If SG1 was real, would it be the CIA that would take that role? Space Force?

Area 51 is still part of an air force base, right? Have the postmaster general corrupt some air force generals and have some homeland security guys tag along for the ride. Unsanctioned from the start.

When I say Postmaser General, I of course mean Ba'al.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

It's possible they tried the address for the black hole gate and their entie solar system got destroyed in the process. We'll never know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

itry
Aug 23, 2019

GolfHole posted:

maybe it should be the postal service...?

Post(wo)man PBat