Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
After the first few seasons they established SG-0, which goes ahead of SG-1 to teach everyone English.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
A Deus Ex style system where you could focus on making your team a shooty one, a techy one, or a talky one would be pretty cool.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

itry posted:

I think I remember Hammond telling whoever's at the controls to close down the iris on an unexpected incoming wormhole quite often. Also lots of shots of the gate idling with the iris open.

Yeah, I can buy pretty much all of the other aspects of the gate being pretty consistent (especially by the standards of TV sci-fi shows), but keeping the iris open by default on the "enemies can deliver a planet-busting nuke directly to the middle of the US" device seems pretty silly. That thing should always be locked up tight unless they're dialing out or they get a confirmed code.

Also if I were SECAF I would have gotten that thing moved to like Diego Garcia or somewhere like that at the first opportunity.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Cthulu Carl posted:

For all the jokes about humans being creative psychos in Star Trek, they're even crazier in SG-1.

This child race found a Stargate, and used primitive electronics (gently caress there were probably some vacuum tubes in some of the equipment) to brute force establishing a wormhole. They traipse around the universe with little devices to disarm the shield on their gate - and even jokingly refer to them as 'Garage Door Openers'.

"Your gods are all lies, take these guns and kill them" really is a pretty good summation of SG-1 interstellar policy.

I also appreciate the pragmatism of "teleport nukes directly into enemy ships" being the starting point of human-wraith interaction.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
I'd like to think that's just something Christopher Judge happened to own.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Armacham posted:

Wow this planet independently developed the Kalashnikov rifle. Good for them.

We call this weapon the Kha-lash N'Kov. One shot kills. Two shots also kill. Three shots kills as well. This goes on up to 30.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Bagpipes?

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
I just rewatched the original movie since it's up on Youtube for free; it still holds up as a very solid sci-fi adventure movie. Nothing that really screams "this will launch a major franchise", just a well-made enjoyable movie. Plus some really great costumes for Ra and friends.

It really made me appreciate the brilliance of turning it into a series; looking at it in hindsight you can see a lot of places where they managed to find some hooks that segue nicely into a series, but watching it at the time, none of that was obvious or intended.

Ironically one thing that's aged the worst is the CGI helmet animations, I remember them being much better than they actually are. The one for Ra is still pretty decent but the ones for the guards look kind of janky today. But man, to a 10 year old watching it in the theater it was the absolute coolest thing ever.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Armacham posted:

I saw this on Reddit so now you all have to see it

*crosses PSPSPS-343 off the list of authorized dialing codes*

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

would the world be better or worse if he had a sarcophagus?

If he had actually built the sarcophagus none of those Thai cave kids would have survived.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

redshirt posted:

Jackson should be making bank, he's a private contractor. Teal'c is essentially confined to base, loosely. I'd love to know how much he is paid. Is it in dollars, or in Jaffa Bucks? He buys things, so he has some dollars.

Sam's place is a small house, but nice. She drives a nice car. What do Captains/Majors/Lt. Colonels make?

Jack might be the only real unrealistic one. He went through a divorce soon before the show starts. I don't know the details, but it can't help his bank account. But his house is really nice, in a seemingly quiet upscale neighborhood. I mean, not like "mansion" nice, but like a "Mike Brady design" nice.

He also has a cabin on a pond.

Officer pay and housing allowance is pretty good, you can definitely afford a decent house if you want to make that a priority. Using 2023 pay charts, an O-4 with 10 years service (reasonable for Carter at the midpoint of the series) earns $8,254 a month in basic pay, and a $2,364 housing allowance for Colorado Springs. Plus I have to imagine they're getting some kind of harzardous duty pay; the Air Force pays a hardship bonus when their people go TDY to a Navy base so going to another planet probably meets the same requirements.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

well why not posted:

Don’t military types get a payment per deployment? SG teams could be cashing in everytime they leave world.

There's no special payment, but your pay can be tax-free if you're in certain designated areas. I don't know if what they're doing really counts as deployment, though, most of the time it seems like they're only out for a few days at most, which I think would be considered TDY. That brings up the question of how you get the travel accounting system to recognize P3X-420 as a valid duty location, not to mention trying to list the mode of travel as "government operated wormhole".

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
The Immaculate Conception actually refers to Mary being conceived and born without original sin. The correct title for her child is "Immaculate Conception's Monster".

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

snergle posted:

i like all the times they just slapped an airforce logo on some gouald stuff and modified it to suit humans. i feel like that if stargate was real that is how we would use alot of tech to start until we could build our own.

I'm surprised we never got a staff weapon adapted in a similar way. The takeaway from the "staff weapon vs P90" scene isn't that staffs are inherently less accurate, they just have lovely ergonomics and no sights. But they can still blow a hole clean through a man when they hit. Pack that into a rifle form factor and it would make a pretty badass heavy assault weapon.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Worf posted:

jack trying to name the Prometheus Enterprise is great

I love the exchange that's like

"Engines?"
"Check."
"Shields?"
"Check."
"... Phasers?"
"Sorry sir, that's Star Trek."

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

redshirt posted:

I love SG1. They do the big reveal of the Stargate program to other governments in a clip show.

Name another show that used clip episodes better than SG1. I'll wait.

Lower Decks gets an honorable mention IMO for having two "clip show" episodes that use entirely new footage.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Whereas SG-1 is about discovering that gods are false and then murdering them, which makes it eternally rewatchable.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
I just got the new God or War game (the viking one), and fuckin' lol if the big muscly bald guy who kills gods for a hobby isn't voiced by Christopher Judge.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Wearing the sigil of the god you killed can be a pretty big power move if you play it right.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

snergle posted:

they cant really turn that on until ark was over though but jesus that has to be the worst / best wizards dont give a gently caress example ever. lets give these dudes we sort of like because of one guy we do like the ability to just create anything they can think of and hoping it doesnt turn out bad oh the enemy they made for us is here sucide bomb time. we basically see them use it twice once is to live in a time dialation bubble for 60 yrs and then the 2nd is RECREATING the asgards most hated foe with out the weakness to stop them lol

wizards ancients asgard no sense of right and wrong

"You want to give all our tech to who? The Tau'ri? The guys who blew up a star? The guys whose first act after arriving in a whole new galaxy was to start loving that one up as well? Those are the ones you want to give all the secrets of the universe to?"

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

alexandriao posted:

Reread my post. I specifically said "smart shrapnel"

And orbital mechanics rely on you to be in specific positions to do manoeuvres if you dont want to have a Bad time

Are we still talking about Stargate here or real life/harder sci-fi scenarios? Because when you've got shields and antigravity drives and all that jazz, a lot of current orbital mechanics requirements get thrown out the window.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Do Asgard teleporters work through a gate? Has anyone ever tried? Because I'm picturing a gate opening up on an uninhabited world and suddenly *vwoosh* an entire prefab colony appears out of thin air.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

crispix posted:

*points at the sign in the gate room* :mad:

See? Because of me, now they have a warning! :mil101:

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I just realized Teal'c is the same dude who plays God of War and gave an incredibly long acceptance speech at the game awards

"Laconic muscly bald guy who kills gods" is some pretty niche typecasting but I'm glad he's doing it.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
IIRC at some point they have an entire armory full of staffs and zats, so presumably they've got enough for their needs. And yeah, I expect follow-up teams would be able to loot whatever they need from various sites that SG-1 obliterates.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

I did not realize until halfway through season 2 here that Stargates are one way. I thought if someone opened one from the other side you could go through

Yeah, it's not something that's really highlighted very often so I can see why it would be easy to miss. They mention at some point that it allows two-way transmission of radio waves, hence why they can talk back and forth on the radio and send MALP telemetry back, but matter is only one way.

I guess it was like that even in the movie, otherwise it wouldn't have been such a big deal that they needed to figure out how to dial back to Earth from Abydos - they could have just waited until Earth dialed again and hopped back through.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Sardonik posted:

I am now imagining Stargate: Lower Decks. And it's glorious.

SG-99, the second contact team.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Nah, that was the name for the spinoff pitched to Showtime.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

I know eventually he'll be head off the SGC, but I feel like Hammond is not going to authorize personal calls. "I empathize with your position Colonel but you know I can't let you do that! The Stargate is for official business only."

"General-"

"HOWever! What I CAN authorize is a new survey of the planet for naquadah from this year's meteor shower. I'm sending SG-5 and Simmons is currently out with the flu. You will take his place on this mission."

Oh dang I talked myself into it

This is literally how military training flights work, so as pilots they would absolutely know how to set that up. It is strictly against the rules to use a government aircraft to go visit your hometown for a weekend to attend a football game. However, it is entirely legal and justified to do a cross-country flight which satisfies routine training requirements, and visit an ROTC unit for the weekend to do a promotional show-and-tell static display. And if there happens to be a football game that weekend, well, that's just a happy coincidence.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Strictly speaking we can, we just choose not to. :eng99:

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2B7CvQ3RIg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
My lord Apophis, the tau'ri Jack O'Neil has sent some kind of device through the gate. It is a large metal cylinder with a clock that is counting down. Someone has written strange markings on the side, which say "Apo... Deez.... Nuts".