Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
There's a part of me that has always wanted to visit the post-movie sequel novels because they apparently took a much different direction than the SG1 series did.

As dumb as this sounds, had Stargate the movie been more popular, I sort of imagined that it could have spun off into its own '90s Star Wars" by way of Sliders: The military guys just don't end up on Earth, end up fighting more crazy alien-god stuff for a few movies, and just keep trying to find the address to get them home or back to Abydos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
This is more a comedy/procedural thing: It's not unheard of for popular shows to get international market remakes.

Was SG1 so popular worldwide to make that not really needed, or was there enough of a gap in larger markets for someone to sort of bypass the movie and jump straight into remaking Stargate-for-TV from scratch for a foreign market with a non-US setting and cast? Maybe negotiate with reusing effects, footage, props, models, etc. from the US production.

Because I'm always interested what a 'remade totally for/by a foreign market' would look like for certain franchises, and with the show having such a positive US Military perspective, I can't help but wonder if some markets would see this and go, "Can you imagine how big this could be in ______ if the characters were working for the _______ military?!"

edit: I guess we'll always have the anime "GATE".

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
I'll admit the _____-to-US pipeline is more active, but shows like Law and Order got a UK remake, and there's now a Canadian-set series in the works I'm suspecting is for the CA audience. There was also some documentary several years ago about an attempt to remake Everyone Loves Raymond for the Russian market, I think. Breaking Bad has recently gotten a foreign remake, too.

Korea seems to be doing a few remakes of Western shows, from what I can tell (Suits, Criminal Minds, Entourage).

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Someone get a comic book company to make an SG-1/GI Joe comic.

It feels like there's some untapped potential for something there. SG-I-Joe.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
SG-1/Ghostbusters is still a gangbusters idea.

SG-1 / FRIENDS: The One Where Ross Becomes Goa'uld Host.

SG-1 / X-Files could probably work with just Fox and Dana constantly trying to track what appears to be a strange ritualistic series of murders by a Goa'uld running loose on Earth not realizing it's aliens and an actual government cover-up by SG-1throughout trying to keep them from learning the truth.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

pixaal posted:

So GI-Joe offworld? Is that not the Stargate children's Cartoon I still haven't seen?

Here's my pitch.

Issue 1: Someene finding an ancient lost snake temple on Earth and Cobra decides to kill all the archaologists and loot the place. However, a Cobra person becomes a host to a Goa'uld who is amazed that they have access to an entire snake-worshiping army upon their awaking from a sarcophagus and decides to take it over for themselves.

Issue 2: SG-1/GI Joe meet up because each one feels they have jurisidiction: One because SG1 knows theyre are signs of Goa'uld artifacts all over the place and GI Joe because this was a Cobra terrorist attack.

Issue 3: Meanwhile, the Goa'bra successfully has taken control and pumped up the combined forces of Cobra into launching an attack on the Stargate to take it over while contacting allies offworld to assist.

Issue 4: Joes and SG Teams unite to defend Cheyanne Mountain from both sides of the gate.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

alexandriao posted:

McKay grows on you and by the end of SGA McKay was one of my favourite characters. I really love Hewlett and it's a shame he hasn't got more roles

I've said this a few times, but the 90s/00s had a trend of films getting TV series versions (Buffy, The Crow, Beastmaster, Stargate, etc.) of various levels of success. With all the false starts on a third Ghostbusters in the 90s/00s, it seems like the early 2000s would have been a decent time for them to have attempted a Ghostbusters live action series in its place for a few years.

Hewlett seems like he really could have done a good/great reimagined-for-TV Venkman or Ray. He has the smarmy qualities of the former and the obsessive tendencies of the latter as McKay.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Daniel will find a clock built by the Ancients that apparently runs on a universal atomic time measurement. Sam will figure that it works by counting microseconds down to the eventual heat death of the universe.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
If a Mogwai was eating a sandwich at 11AM while walking through the Stargate to a world where it was already 1AM by that planet's time and finished the sandwich on the other side of the gate, would they become a Gremlin?

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Helpful tip from HGTV: For food safety reasons, it's recommended that most refrigerated leftovers be thrown out after three days. Want those holiday leftovers to last longer? Just use a Stargate to travel to another world where days are longer. For a more long-term solution? Think about gating your leftovers to a planet being affected by the time dilation effects of a black hole.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
SG-1 and the likes have really looted the galaxy of Ancient artifacts. In a few hundred thousand years some future generation of explorers will have nothing left to find but stasis chambers of pumpkin pies and pizzas.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
The final mission of the Stargate program will be to hide all their found and created galaxy-altering discoveries all over the universe and hire a bunch of creative writing majors to leave all sorts of clues on where they can be found in the far future.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Does the SGC also run ops with the Peace Corps SG teams?

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
I sort of imagine that Daniel Jackson's written like 30 books on languages that won't be able to be published until 70 years after his death, at which point they'll be in the public domain.

Somehow, colleges will still charge $500 for each copy.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

pixaal posted:

Asgard were actually too busy getting their asses handed to them by the replicators.

e: oh there was a new page. I see this was already discussed.

I could see the arguement that the Asgard and Goa'uld were in a stalemate with their own issues, not with one another, though.

The Asgard seemed to have the constant problem of replicators and cloning, as mentioned. They couldn't really didn't have a need or ability to advance too far outside that.

The system lords really had possibly hit a place where they were just stuck in their own status quo where it was difficult to effect any great change because power structures had become so well-defined and well-controlled.

Then the Tau'ri show up and kill Ra which probably has a massive knock on effect for the whole galaxy.

Now we suddenly see the rise of 'minor system lords' or 'former low-ranking Goa'ulds' on one side able to finally take a grab at major power, direct allies to Ra using the chance to try to hold and claim power once afforded to Ra, and indepent major system lords thinking they could afford a risk of taking more power, too.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
SG-1/Hellboy crossover.

After years of fake gods, SG-1 has to help take down a strange lovecraftian horror.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Did the show ever go into detail about the reaction of the System Lords after the death of Ra and up to the start of SG-1? When did they start to learn the Tau'ri caused it? Etc.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Too bad Ba'al never took over Earth. He seems like he would have reinvented the Goa'uld System Lords into being OCP executives and turned the Jaffa into PMCs.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Momoa is kind of the Arnold replacement that just got huge (in more ways than one) just about 5 years too late. Like Momoa's already done Conan, and I could kind of see him in a lot of past Arnold roles like Running Man, Terminator, etc. more than Dwayne Johnson.

edit: Ronan also feels like you have a problem with having both he and Teyla filling the role of 'outsider with awesome combat abilities that surpass every Tau'ri and have unique Wraith connections' so I don't know if they wanted to have his character lean more alienated while she was the one who was more sociable with Earth crew.

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Dec 8, 2023

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

PittTheElder posted:

Also how long it takes them to set up an Alpha Site, and how they don't run the gate program out of there.

Kinsey had a point in the first season that fetching a bunch of dangerous items/microbes/people/black hole connections and immediately exposing Earth to them was not a good plan.

This is also a thing about SGU. Granted, I don't think we ever see a direct gating attempt from the Destiny to Earth, but they always say or act like their attempts to connect are "We're gating back to the Earth!"

Seems like the safer bet would be "We're gating back to the Omega Site on M49-931, which has been earmarked an emergency arrival gate point for potentially compromised teams to redirect to. Once we're screened and marked clean, we go back to Earth." Maybe that's what they're doing, but they never say it because everyone knows. That, or they HAVE to go Earth because the Earth gate is the only one with direct access to a combination of Human, Ancient, Goa'uld, and Asgard tech on site to handle anything unforeseen in such a large jump.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
I could see Daniel's family not so much being 'rich', but just 'worldly' thanks to academic grants and research and moving around a lot for their work. Outside appearances might make them look like they're doing well, but in reality they're relatively low-paid.

I'd reckon there wasn't a LOT of money if there was any at all. I'd assume if there were large amounts of money to Daniel's family it could have been easily used by the grandfather to just provide for Daniel's care by boarding schools and caretakers with little personal oversight on his part if he didn't want the distraction rather than let Daniel fall into foster care.

In two alternative timelines, maybe three (?), Daniel seems to be doing fairly poorly professionally and financially without having the Stargate job. If there was any family wealth, Daniel either squandered it, spent it all on his education, or lost it through other means.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

redshirt posted:

LOL the freaking Lucian Alliance. Are you kidding me??

I have a fanfic theory on the Lucian Alliance that probably fails to hold water.

The Lucian Alliance was secretly created, organized, supported, and controlled by a group of Aschen survivors who are using them to destablize the galaxy for them to eventually swoop in and clean up. Genetically engineered corn to control populations sounds like such an Aschen move if they couldn't do other tricks and other traditional bioweapon tactics were possibly deemed too dangerous given their own limited numbers or they no longer had access to that level of tech to pull it off.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Speaking of money: Continuum had the team arriving in an alternate reality having done nothing and allowed to do nothing but being given a healthy stipend and a lot of freedom of movement. Cam, Carter, and Jackson seemed to be doing okay with the money and housing they were given.

For the US Government, they DID sort of drop in out of nowhere and reveal the location and function of alien tech beneath the ice in Antarctica which jumpstarted their development of the the SG Program and prepping the Ancient Weapons device. It never paid off, but their intel likely would have bypassed decades of work and billions of dollars of funding, not to mention giving the Navy's SG program tons of intel on which gate addresses were hostile and which weren't in advance, allowing them to exploit it for finding more tech advancements. So, I guess the governement could spare a few coins from the coffers in retrospect.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
I'd no-prize this that the Stargate Command's budget is directly just the Cheyanne Mountain operations and the literal 'going through the gate' stuff. I want to say that before the Ori become a problem they're already talking of scaling down operations of the SGC because it was viewed as less important than Atlantis' mission and they wanted to redeploy the money to other things.

Everything like ships and the like possibly falls under Homeworld Security's, Area 51s, or general military spending as a different thing. Then the IOA probably starts to shoulder a lot financial burdens that were once exclusively the US's when running the program.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Watching President Hayes on Stargate always gives me a strange Donald Trump vibe. I don't know if anyone else gets that from him.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Jonas going back to his home planet and running a steampunk version of SGC with his government, crossing paths with SG-1 every now and then.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Sort of surprised a prolonged Jaffa/Earth Cold War didn't start.

Earth undoubtedly has in their possession several major artifacts and archives: Ancient, Atlantean, Goa'uld, Ori, Jaffa, and Asgard.

The Jaffa? Probably only whatever was left over that they already had from the System Lords and likely a fraction of what the Tau'ri have access to from all the other great powers.

I don't know how much the IOC and Homeworld Command would be comfortable sharing with their allies in that regard or how much that might stress relations as a result.

Maybe we'd get some spycraft stuff out of that premise with a Stargate SG-007.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

blatman posted:

working the night shift in the gate room, tossing my empty beer cans onto a randomly dialled planet to dispose of the evidence

You put that stuff on a cardboard box to be vaporated by the kawoosh. You don't want someone walking onto P3L-661 on a mission and start an investigation over all the beer cans they found scattered all around the gate.

Cut to the debriefing room.

"Wait..." Carter would pause for a moment to make sure she was understanding Daniel correctly. "You're basing our need to go undercover at a college fraternity to find a secret Stargate because we found a pile of beer cans on another planet?"

"A pile of Pabst Blue Ribbon beer cans!" Daniel circles the letters PBR on the whiteboard, then goes into history of the beer's popularity with college hipsters.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Didn't Herc/Xena do some comedy clip shows to sort of sum up the storylines of a season or so?

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
One of those very, very low-end building block toys had an official Stargate set several years ago. I only ever saw them at Big Lots.

Oddly enough, the company apparently made several more kits that kind of looked okay in comparison to the only sets I ever saw at Big Lots.

https://www.gateworld.net/toys/best-lock/

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
I was watching Best of Times and for some reason the dynamic between Russell/Williams in that movie reminds me a lot of the Sheppard/McKay one in Atlantis. At the very least, McKay acts like Robin Williams does in that movie.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Captain Jaffamerica: "Avengers... kree."

(Jaffa nerds in audience go wild)

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

well why not posted:

gently caress

That'll help colonize a world.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Colony gate will eventually need to be made mobile to get the most bang for your buck. Maybe some helicopters built from kits on the other side of the gate to carry the gate to new locations.

So you can drop off the gate near places you think you're going to drill for oil, where you think you want to build a refinery or factory, another town/city, etc. and all gate travel during its time at those new locations is built around sending people and supplies just for very specific goals rather than bottlenecking everyone at one location.

Moving the colony gate also allows you to dump massive amounts of start-up materials at key locations to speed up the expansion of self-sustaining infrastructure, too.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
We're going to negotiate with Langara and have them constantly export supplies from their world to the colo...

No, scratch that: We'll just take over Langara. We can get that place to 1980s quality in a few years.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Throw the gate into a shipping warehouse. Teal'c is asked to do a series of commercials as the new "First Prime of Amazon"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Teal'c has to move in with Jack and it plays out like every Odd Couple episode.

Teal'c bumps into actor Christopher Judge and the pair accidentally switch places.

Teal'c acts like a real Scrooge around the holidays because he doesn't have the Christmas spirit. The Goa'osts of Christmas Past, Present, and Future show up to show him the meaning of the season.