Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

L. Ron DeSantis
Nov 10, 2009

I don't know why California and Texas get megathreads while Florida doesn't, and I'm not in a position to be able to sit down and do an effortpost. But I'm sure there are goons here. Let me start off with my local news:

https://www.floridatoday.com/story/...on/70409865007/

quote:

The Brevard Republican Executive Committee has joined a growing list of Florida GOP chapters calling on Gov. Ron DeSantis to ban the COVID-19 vaccine, which it called a "biological weapon" in a resolution this week.

The nonbinding resolution was passed by a supermajority vote of committee membership Thursday. It now goes to DeSantis, Brevard County's legislative delegation and state party leaders, joining similar motions of support from committees in more than half a dozen other counties.

Brevard executive committee Chairman Rick Lacey did not immediately return a request for comment Friday.

A draft version of the resolution reviewed by reporters closely mirrors one passed by the Lee County Republican Party in February, drawing national headlines.

More:Brevard Republican Executive Committee rejects 2020 election results, citing false 'fraud' claims

"Strong and credible evidence has recently been revealed that Covid-19 and Covid-19 injections are biological and technological weapons," the Brevard draft resolution says, citing claims that have been disproven and disputed by respected medical groups.

"An enormous number of humans have died or been permanently disabled" by the vaccine, it says. "Government agencies, media and tech companies, and other corporations, have committed enormous fraud by claiming Covid-19 injections are safe and effective."

It calls on DeSantis to ban sale and distribution of the vaccine "and all related vaccines," and for Florida Attorney General Ashley Moody to seize all remaining doses in the state for safety testing, "on behalf of the preservation of the human race," it says.

It also calls for mandatory disclosures on any product in the state "using mRNA or gene altering or therapeutic technology."

Hillsborough County Republicans approved a similar resolution last month. Its original author, Lee County psychotherapist Joseph Sansone, told the Tampa Bay Times in June that GOP chapters have passed the motion in at least five other counties, including Collier, Lake, St. Johns, Santa Rosa and Seminole, the newspaper reported.

The four-page resolution cites a mix of news and government sources, legitimate scientific papers — including a Swedish study, purported to show that the mRNA COVID-19 vaccine alters human DNA, that its authors have said has been misinterpreted by vaccine critics — and fringe websites.

Many of its claims have been disputed by major medical associations and debunked by factcheckers from the Associated Press and other news agencies. One cited link appears to promote a version of the conspiracy theory that the Pfizer vaccine contains microchips or other electronic components.

The resolution includes references to data from a 2021 Pfizer study showing more than 1,200 deaths and 42,000 "adverse cases" associated with the vaccine worldwide between December 1, 2020 and February 28, 2021, but fails to include other important context.

By March 1, 2021, more than 72 million doses of the vaccine had been administered and more than 48 million people vaccinated in the United States alone, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The CDC has acknowledged some complications have occurred with different versions of the shot, but says "severe reactions" are rare and the benefits of vaccination "continue to outweigh any potential risks," according to its website.

More:Despite election wins, voter registration gains, there's rift in Brevard Republican Party

The resolution was met with opposition from some local Republicans. Susan Hammerling-Hodgers, a former BREC district chairperson and former president of the Brevard Trump Club, said she didn't attend the meeting in protest of what she called the "circus" surrounding the measure.

"As a lifelong Republican, I believe in less government overreach," Hodgers, who works in the medical field as a physician assistant, said in a statement. "When members of the Republican Party are making a vote to remove another American's choice to take a vaccine if they want to take a vaccine, then we have crossed the line."

Feel free to use this thread to talk about FL politics in general and if someone wants to help me make a proper OP I'm all ears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I'm definitely worried that they are going to just terminate childhood vaccinations soon. There have already been calls from several GOP legislators to do it.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Covid is old hat. Teaching kids that slavery was world-class vocational training is where it’s at now.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

There are lots of Florida goons. It’s one of the most hoppin threads in LAN.

The people who wrote the education standards for the new african american studies (who are not educators or historians or anyone who should be writing such a topic) cited 16 or so “slaves” who learned skills as a slave that later gained them notoriety. Half were never slaves, one was George Washington’s sister, and the none gained notoriety in a field from skills learned as a slave.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I suspect Desantis is just cynically trying to win votes by stoking the culture wars fires vs. him being a genuine Hitler. I guess it's moot, because it's not like he's gonna stop even if he becomes president when there's always the next election. Last poll I saw has him getting whooped by Trump:
https://www.reuters.com/world/us/trump-has-47-support-among-republicans-desantis-19-reutersipsos-2023-07-19/

47% vs. 19% of Republicans. I think he'd be worse than Trump when it comes to downright fascism, but I'd like to hear more informed takes on that.

Florida is hosed though.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

His campaign has been dead in the water since it started

He's just really offputting when you see him speak or interact with people, and Trump offers essentially the same thing that DeSantis does, so the GOP base doesn't have a reason to support DeSantis

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I mean this is a guy who laughed in the face of Guantanomo prisoners when they were being tortured. He's just not a nice guy. He wins votes for that, sure, but your casual Republican can probably see he's an rear end in a top hat. Or maybe it's more that he just lacks charisma.

So does this mean Florida Republican voters are just more mean-spirited? My guess is it might extend from Florida being more culturally diverse wityhmore relative inequality. Being confronted with this drives them to extremism as a reaction. It's kind of like that old survey item that tried to assess racism and prejudice. People were more likely to support Civil Rights in principle than they were with actually having Black neighbors or having their White kids go to school with Black kids.

L. Ron DeSantis
Nov 10, 2009

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/florida-ron-desantis-bud-light-dylan-mulvaney-anheuser-busch/

quote:

Ron DeSantis threatens Anheuser-Busch over Bud Light marketing campaign with Dylan Mulvaney
moneywatch
BY KHRISTOPHER J. BROOKS

JULY 21, 2023 / 4:40 PM / MONEYWATCH

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis is hinting at legal action against Bud Light's parent company, Anheuser-Busch InBev, for the beer brand's promotion earlier this year with TikTok star Dylan Mulvaney.

Bud Light's March Madness promotion with Mulvaney, a transgender actress and activist, sparked an uproar among some conservatives, including singers Kid Rock and Travis Tritt, who called for a boycott of the popular beer. An ongoing sales slump for Bud Light has been attributed to backlash from both conservatives and the LGBTPQ community over the marketing campaign.

In an interview Thursday with Fox News, DeSantis said that Florida's pension fund contained over $50 million worth of Anheuser-Busch shares. Bud Light's decision to team with Mulvaney was followed by a sales slump, and as a result the state's pension fund has suffered collateral damage, according to the 2024 presidential candidate.

"When you start pursuing a political agenda at the expense of your shareholders, that's not just impacting very wealthy people, it impacts hardworking people who were firefighters, police officers and teachers," DeSantis told Fox News.

After Dylan Mulvaney controversy, Bud Light releases "grunts" ad with Kansas City Chiefs' Travis Kelce
Dylan Mulvaney addresses backlash from Bud Light
Bud Light fumbles, but inclusive advertising are here to stay
"And it could be something that leads to a derivative lawsuit filed on behalf of the shareholders of the Florida pension fund," he added. "Because, at the end of the day, there's got to be penalties for when you put business aside to focus on your social agenda at the expense of hardworking people."

DeSantis didn't say how much the pension fund has lost from its Anheuser-Busch investments. Derivative lawsuits are filed by shareholders on behalf of a company against a corporation's directors or officers alleging breach of their fiduciary duties.

"Radical social ideologies"
The governor on Thursday also sent a letter to Florida's State Board of Administration (SBA), which manages its pension fund, asking staff "to review how AB InBev's conduct has impacted and continues to impact the value of SBA's AB InBev holdings."

In the letter, DeSantis said AB InBev has struggled recently because the company decided "to associate its Bud Light brand with radical social ideologies."

"It appears to me that AB InBev may have breached legal duties owed to its shareholders and that a shareholder action may be both appropriate and necessary," DeSantis wrote.

When reached for comment by CBS MoneyWatch, a spokesperson for Anheuser-Busch said, "Anheuser-Busch InBev takes our responsibility to our shareholders, employees, distributors and customers seriously. We are focused on driving long-term, sustainable growth for them by optimizing our business and providing consumers products to enjoy for any occasion."

Brendan Whitworth, CEO of Anheuser-Busch, told CBS Mornings last month that the company is sending financial assistance to distributors and wholesalers affected by the slump in Bud Light sales since Mulvaney's social media video went viral. Whitworth added that ABI plans to triple its investment in Bud Light this year as the company launches its upcoming summer campaign and prepares for the NFL season.

Bud Light sales dropped 28% for the week ending June 24, compared with the same period last year, according to beverage industry research firm Bump Williams Consulting. That amounts to a decline in revenue of roughly $26 million for Anheuser-Busch, according to data from consumer behavior data analytics firm Circana.

AB InBev's stock price has fallen 14% since the Mulvaney promotion in late March, with the company losing $16 billion in market value over period. Florida's pension fund contained more than 682,000 shares of AB InBev at the end of March, valued at the time at nearly $46 million, CNN reported.

DeSantis is also at the center of an ongoing dispute with the Walt Disney Co. about how much authority the entertainment giant has over land near its theme parks in Orlando, Fla.

DeSantis has been on the campaign trail in recent weeks, hoping to position himself as the front runner for the Republican presidential nomination in 2024. He visited South Carolina earlier this week and landed in Utah on Friday in a push to re-energize his campaign, which has lost momentum.
So, I don't see how this goes anywhere. Investment involves risk and generally shareholders don't get to sue a company for making business decisions that negatively impact the stock price, unless fraud was involved. I think that's how it works anyway. But the governor will be happy to piss away taxpayer dollars on this.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

There are lots of Florida goons. It’s one of the most hoppin threads in LAN.

The people who wrote the education standards for the new african american studies (who are not educators or historians or anyone who should be writing such a topic) cited 16 or so “slaves” who learned skills as a slave that later gained them notoriety. Half were never slaves, one was George Washington’s sister, and the none gained notoriety in a field from skills learned as a slave.

Not that it matters to those who wrote the standards, or those who support them, but you can disprove that entire argument by mentioning the plethora of schools founded specifically to teach former slaves and their children higher level argricultural and mechanical skills. The lack of skills to effectively utilize the land, their's or not, plus a lack of willing partners (schools, financiers, suppliers, etc.), sent many people into second slavery as tenant farmers. This helped precipitate massive emigrations out of former slave states.

It's just stupid on the face of it. A skilled, motivated workforce allowed to use those skills generally doesn't leave where they're from in huge numbers, barring some other influence.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Appearing before around 70 of the campaign’s top contributors at the Stein Eriksen Lodge in Deer Valley, Utah, DeSantis’ campaign manager Generra Peck said money had been spent on operations that had turned out to be ineffective and that the campaign would move to a leaner, “insurgent” posture going forward. Among the changes being made were to “expose” voters to DeSantis more, said Nick Iarossi, a Florida-based lobbyist and fundraiser who was at the event.

“Let Ron be Ron,” added Iarossi. “That’s what got him here. That’s what made him the leader that he is in Florida. We’re going back to our basics on all of this.”

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Mulaney Power Move posted:

So does this mean Florida Republican voters are just more mean-spirited? My guess is it might extend from Florida being more culturally diverse wityhmore relative inequality. Being confronted with this drives them to extremism as a reaction. It's kind of like that old survey item that tried to assess racism and prejudice. People were more likely to support Civil Rights in principle than they were with actually having Black neighbors or having their White kids go to school with Black kids.

I grew up in FL, a lot of people there are definitely libertarian minded, even some of the Democratic leaning ones. It's rarely worded this way but "gently caress you, got mine" is pretty accurate.

With comparatively low wages, no expanded medicaid, and the worst unemployment benefits in the country, it's a brutal place to be anything but old and rich.

Guess you can't blame them for not liking the government too much, since their state government does so little to benefit them.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Florida is hosed though.

Nah. You have to look at the bright side. So who are we running for governor in 2026, Charlie Crist again or the reanimated corpse of Lawton Chiles?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

L. Ron DeSantis posted:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/florida-ron-desantis-bud-light-dylan-mulvaney-anheuser-busch/

So, I don't see how this goes anywhere. Investment involves risk and generally shareholders don't get to sue a company for making business decisions that negatively impact the stock price, unless fraud was involved. I think that's how it works anyway. But the governor will be happy to piss away taxpayer dollars on this.
No they have absolutely no standing here. It's just throwing more red meat to his base.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Szyznyk posted:

Nah. You have to look at the bright side. So who are we running for governor in 2026, Charlie Crist again or the reanimated corpse of Lawton Chiles?

Democrats will do anything and everything they can to avoid ceding power to the left, so they'll absolutely try and drum up another another "sobered up" ex-Republican, which puts them in an interesting spot: dyed-in-the-wool true believers of the Republican platform see anyone pulling the Crist stunt as a betrayer, and more radical elements outside of the Republican party won't turn out to vote for a former Republican - at best you'll get your straight-ticket party voters to come out and vote for them and...that's clearly not sufficient.

I haven't heard much chatter from within the F&E part of the party apparatus, so I don't really know what the dems plan for "v DeSantis 2026" is.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

if they're planning on running someone against desantis for governor then the candidate will be the least of their worries (desantis is term-limited which is why he's running for prez this cycle and not the next)

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

i say swears online posted:

if they're planning on running someone against desantis for governor then the candidate will be the least of their worries (desantis is term-limited which is why he's running for prez this cycle and not the next)

He's got two years, a friendly legislature and a friendly court to change that.

eta: My presumption is that he's working levers in the background that will allow him to maintain political relevance for decades to come*. He's spun up, I think, two new private police forces that are accountable to only him, he's gifted the current judicial with longer careers via pushing up the mandatory retirement age for judges and justices, and has show a willingness to apply the state's violence on monopoly to get his way outside institutional government. It's naive to think he's not going to attempt to hold onto power in Florida for as long as he can, legally or otherwise.

*this presumes the US Empire as it exists today has decades left on the clock

Lib and let die fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jul 24, 2023

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I guess? he just signed a term limits bill like three weeks ago though

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

I guess? he just signed a term limits bill like three weeks ago though

He also signed a bill that re-instituted the right to vote for formerly incarcerated people, while most people who would have had their right to vote restored do not, by injecting his own post-facto bullshit into it about having to pay legal fees first.

He's incredibly uncharismatic, he's oafish, off-putting, and worst of all, Italian - but he's incredibly skilled at maneuvering the levers behind the curtain which is what folks, imo, are not scared enough about.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

also, here is a gift from C-SPAM:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Lib and let die posted:

He's got two years, a friendly legislature and a friendly court to change that.

eta: My presumption is that he's working levers in the background that will allow him to maintain political relevance for decades to come*. He's spun up, I think, two new private police forces that are accountable to only him, he's gifted the current judicial with longer careers via pushing up the mandatory retirement age for judges and justices, and has show a willingness to apply the state's violence on monopoly to get his way outside institutional government. It's naive to think he's not going to attempt to hold onto power in Florida for as long as he can, legally or otherwise.

*this presumes the US Empire as it exists today has decades left on the clock

The friendly legislature can’t change the constitution which is where his term limits are.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

The friendly legislature can’t change the constitution which is where his term limits are.

I'd love to be wrong about both his intentions and his abilities but so far everything I've seen adds up to "literal coup"

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I do wonder if he’s going to face more resistance from some other politicians here in his own party next year, because presumably he’s not going to win the nomination. A lot of his ‘allies’ are mostly on his side on the assumption that he may be President someday and they want to make him happy. I think that could change if he just comes crawling back to FL next year as a lame duck governor

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

I do wonder if he’s going to face more resistance from some other politicians here in his own party next year, because presumably he’s not going to win the nomination. A lot of his ‘allies’ are mostly on his side on the assumption that he may be President someday and they want to make him happy. I think that could change if he just comes crawling back to FL next year as a lame duck governor
yeah I think him dropping out after coming in 4th in Iowa then limping back to finish his last two years could be the end of his career. he's republican kamala

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

yeah I think him dropping out after coming in 4th in Iowa then limping back to finish his last two years could be the end of his career. he's republican kamala
His other problem is that FL has two GOP Senators already, so he can’t do what Rick Scott did and just run for Senate after two terms as governor

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Lib and let die posted:

He also signed a bill that re-instituted the right to vote for formerly incarcerated people, while most people who would have had their right to vote restored do not, by injecting his own post-facto bullshit into it about having to pay legal fees first.

He's incredibly uncharismatic, he's oafish, off-putting, and worst of all, Italian - but he's incredibly skilled at maneuvering the levers behind the curtain which is what folks, imo, are not scared enough about.

The measure creating an easy path to restoration of ex-felon voting rights wasn't a bill, that was a constitutional amendment. DeSantis had no input into it whatsoever.

The extra condition about requiring the payment of legal fees was added by the state legislature, on the initiative of individual legislators within the FL legislature. DeSantis signed the bill, because he's the governor and he has to sign everything he doesn't intend to veto, but didn't have any particular involvement with writing it or getting it through the legislature.

The only thing DeSantis is good at is claiming sole credit for the activities of the GOP-dominated Florida legislature, which is happy to pass all sorts of culture war bullshit regardless of what he says or does. And they allow him to take the credit largely because they think he'll pay back all those political favors once he becomes president. As his presidential ambitions crumble, I think we'll see the legislature become significantly less obedient (not that it'll change much, since it's dominated by far-right types who agree with him on most political issues anyway).

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I grew up in Miami/SoFla in the 80s and 90s then bounced around the state in the 2000s for college to work, and it really can't be overemphasized what a colossal difference the two areas are. Miami-Dade is a cool, hip and multicultural metro area with progressive values and all the trappings that come with modern society. But as the saying goes, "the further north you go, the further south you get." By the time you hit even Boynton Beach you're in horse-and-truck country, and the actual screeching, hooting lunatics with 50' Trump flags start showing up around Okeechobee.

In a sensible world, the Keys/Miami/maaaybe Ft Lauderdale would have balkanized into their own state, leaving the rest of Florida to rot as part of "the south."

As it stands, I have no idea how you reconcile a state so full of hateful, screeching olds (for god's sake, @catturd2 lives there) with anything resembling a society planning for the future. But I guess that's always been the way of Florida - the state is so old and so full of retirees from elsewhere that they consider any planning for the future to be a waste since it isn't their kids doing the dying.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

dunno how subservient the lege is but nearly the entire congressional delegation has endorsed trump already

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Shrecknet posted:

I grew up in Miami/SoFla in the 80s and 90s then bounced around the state in the 2000s for college to work, and it really can't be overemphasized what a colossal difference the two areas are. Miami-Dade is a cool, hip and multicultural metro area with progressive values and all the trappings that come with modern society. But as the saying goes, "the further north you go, the further south you get." By the time you hit even Boynton Beach you're in horse-and-truck country, and the actual screeching, hooting lunatics with 50' Trump flags start showing up around Okeechobee.

I dunno anything about the fl atlantic coast; why did rush limbaugh make fun of port st. lucie so much?

L. Ron DeSantis
Nov 10, 2009

Shrecknet posted:

In a sensible world, the Keys/Miami/maaaybe Ft Lauderdale would have balkanized into their own state, leaving the rest of Florida to rot as part of "the south."

As it stands, I have no idea how you reconcile a state so full of hateful, screeching olds (for god's sake, @catturd2 lives there) with anything resembling a society planning for the future. But I guess that's always been the way of Florida - the state is so old and so full of retirees from elsewhere that they consider any planning for the future to be a waste since it isn't their kids doing the dying.

Is Miami-Dade really that progressive anymore? DeSantis won it last year, and it seems like a lot of the Latino population there is pretty conservative, at least with regards to anything the right paints as socialism. (Though it is funny how many people love Obamacare now.) This is largely based on news reports as I've never lived in that area.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

L. Ron DeSantis posted:

Is Miami-Dade really that progressive anymore? DeSantis won it last year, and it seems like a lot of the Latino population there is pretty conservative, at least with regards to anything the right paints as socialism. (Though it is funny how many people love Obamacare now.) This is largely based on news reports as I've never lived in that area.

The last election is not really indicative. A fuckton of democratic voters just didn't vote because the top of the ticket was a republican and a cop against a republican and rubio. No one outside of top party brass wanted Crist or Demmings.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
I just have to hope we don’t run any more Kimberly Daniels.

Democratic police, former Republicans, and a black woman and preacher who literally thanks God for slavery and crack houses and mentions the Holocaust only to say the “Jews own everything.”

Only the most inspiring Democratic candidates.

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!
Is the official Florida Democratic Party actually worth anything more substantial than, say, two old mops and a years-dead frog carcass locked in a moldy closet?

I mean, I know the state is gerrymandered to poo poo, but there's gotta be more than the ~20 lefty holdouts posting here in this godforsaken state.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

There is the socialist party of Florida and the progressive caucus, so in theory maybe 40 people?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Florida Democrats are and always have been a complete joke. Currently the state democratic party is largely controlled by a bunch of racist retired boomer "Democrats" from the Northeast who will never shut up about how whatever shithole dead coal mine town they came from was nicer before brown people were forced to move there by gentrification.

Also I feel like normal d&d rules should be suspended for this thread because they are very complicated and many of us were educated in Florida.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

pseudosavior posted:

Is the official Florida Democratic Party actually worth anything more substantial than, say, two old mops and a years-dead frog carcass locked in a moldy closet?

I mean, I know the state is gerrymandered to poo poo, but there's gotta be more than the ~20 lefty holdouts posting here in this godforsaken state.

I know I just write in my kids names on all the ballots where an R is running uncontested. There should be one person in the congressional district who can run for the FL house and senate or the county commission, even if it’s a low dollar homemade affair. Get the national party to kick in 10 grand, anything. God knows Nancy Pelosi sends me enough fundraising emails.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Florida Democrats are and always have been a complete joke. Currently the state democratic party is largely controlled by a bunch of racist retired boomer "Democrats" from the Northeast who will never shut up about how whatever shithole dead coal mine town they came from was nicer before brown people were forced to move there by gentrification.

Also I feel like normal d&d rules should be suspended for this thread because they are very complicated and many of us were educated in Florida.

I was educated in Ohio! I wonder how it ranks nowadays? Thirty-sixth? Okay. How about Florida? Ninth! That can’t be right. Let’s check another source. #1 in education according to US News! I call bullshit… or the nation is truly and utterly hosed.

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009
my dad's family is from Ohio and my mom's family is from Florida. I literally had never heard of the concept of "travel sports" until my cousins in Ohio got into it.

we had 1 sports thing in middle school, which was soccer as run by the coolest loving guy alive, a veteran father of 2 who did night shifts at the hospital and then shepherded 40-odd dipshits in the morning after, typically still wearing scrubs. unaffiliated with the school

in high school, we had football. at one point, I poo poo you not, the algebra teacher got let go and the football coach attempted to teach me geometry. I knew more math than he did, which is deeply upsetting.

north central Florida is an interesting place.

L. Ron DeSantis
Nov 10, 2009

Just making sure everyone knows that your request for a mail ballot, which used to be valid for a few years has been canceled. Not a huge deal you just have to request it again before any upcoming elections. This is fine.

Also I encourage everyone to go here and take a minute to try to get abortion rights on the ballot.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

L. Ron DeSantis posted:

Just making sure everyone knows that your request for a mail ballot, which used to be valid for a few years has been canceled. Not a huge deal you just have to request it again before any upcoming elections. This is fine.

Also I encourage everyone to go here and take a minute to try to get abortion rights on the ballot.

Thanks for this. IIRC, I already did the latter but the former escaped my notice. I checked months ago (last year?), and might have ignored similar in my news feed.

LordSloth fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jul 25, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

L. Ron DeSantis posted:

South Florida went pretty far into the Qanon adjacent or flat out mainline Qanon conspiracy stuff in the last election. While the Puerto Rican demographic seems to be grounded and more realistic, which makes sense for a number of reasons, the Cuban and South American demo, themselves already conservative leaning and wealthy, bought into a lot of that stuff. Spanish language radio was pushing a lot of hardcore conspiracy stuff as fact and it doesn't help that a lot of these demographics already want Operation Condor 2.0, not the Jackie Chan movie, due to the instability in Venezuela and the constant fear that every new left leaning president in South America is going to be the reincarnation of Fidel.

It cannot be understated the level of delusion that exists within the Cuban émigré community is something that will never die and is most definitely getting worse as the GOP tries to grasp something as their demographic hold on FL slides. Since terrorism never panned out for the far right elements of the community, they're just doing their best to copy the Israel lobby but instead of having politicians pledge eternal support to the state of Israel, they're making politicians end all speeches with Cuba delenda est. This is all the while ignoring the anti-Hispanic bent of the GOP by telling themselves they're "the good ones."

The good news is that even with the apathy and influx of affluent assholes, GOP control could be flipped overnight and they know it. It's one of the big reasons they go so hard down here despite it being an effectively one party state. The problem is the Democrats have written off Florida because they're thinking they're playing 5D chess or something with purposely losing elections.