Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

It cannot be understated the level of delusion that exists within the Cuban émigré community is something that will never die and is most definitely getting worse as the GOP tries to grasp something as their demographic hold on FL slides. Since terrorism never panned out for the far right elements of the community, they're just doing their best to copy the Israel lobby but instead of having politicians pledge eternal support to the state of Israel, they're making politicians end all speeches with Cuba delenda est.
What happens when (if?) Cuba's relations with America are normalized and you don't have automatic one-dry-toe citizenship on arrival in Florida and it becomes impossible to add more virulently anti-communist Cuban expats to the voter rolls? The Alpha 66'ers aren't getting any younger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It just seems to me like more conservative leaning Hispanics in South Florida are REALLY into the Trump poo poo

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Shrecknet posted:

What happens when (if?) Cuba's relations with America are normalized and you don't have automatic one-dry-toe citizenship on arrival in Florida and it becomes impossible to add more virulently anti-communist Cuban expats to the voter rolls? The Alpha 66'ers aren't getting any younger.

Most Cubans who came during the Special Period or after tend not to be virulently anti-communist. They're generally not happy with the regime for obvious reasons but send remittances back and see it as something that's not going away. The children of émigrés from the periods before that tend to be conservative but it's skewing more left as they stop believing that there's a plantation waiting for them in Cuba the second the communists lose power.

Good news, wealthy Venezuelans and Brazilians are doing their best to fill the empty spots. Miami has always been the landing spot for former Central South American dictators and death squad leaders. Miami itself was pretty much built on CIA money and money going to and from School of the Americas projects. It's always going to have a hard right element in it that you don't see unless you speak Spanish or Haitian Creole. Spanish media mainstreaming Qanon stuff also isn't helping so while you won't get people going ultra MAGA or whatever, they will definitely think twice about voting for the "pedophile elite." It's making the already right wing go crazy and the moderates to left leaning people quiet up because there's a history of politically motivated killings in Miami that for some reason go unsolved by the Miami PD.:thunk:

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

Miami has always existed for money laundering, but more and more those empty condos are owned by cryptobros rather than cocaine traffickers

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

I swear I’m getting mi familia’s sugar plantation in Cienfuegos back as soon as communism is overturned. Viva Batista.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

L. Ron DeSantis posted:

I don't know why California and Texas get megathreads while Florida doesn't

I can assure you that it's not because Texas goons are better posters

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

I tried making a FL Politics thread some years ago but it withered away pretty quick. Hopefully this one does better!

In other news, buoys off Boynton and the upper keys recorded several ocean temps of 100+ the past few days. I'm sure that's fine, especially entering the exciting time of hurricane season while insurance companies flee the state.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Not a great outlook for the coasts with this graph.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Google Jeb Bush posted:

I can assure you that it's not because Texas goons are better posters

the mods do let me make clear, actionable threats against public figures in that thread so who's to say

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

i say swears online posted:

the mods do let me make clear, actionable threats against public figures in that thread so who's to say

please don't tell better, less Texan mods

L. Ron DeSantis
Nov 10, 2009

Assuming the abortion and recreational cannabis amendments get enough signatures to get on the ballot, which they almost certainly will, what are the ways the FL Supreme Court or legislature could ratfuck them? Is there any way they could raise the threshold past the already high 60%?

L. Ron DeSantis fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jul 27, 2023

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

L. Ron DeSantis posted:

Assuming the abortion and recreational cannabis amendments get enough signatures to get on the ballot, which they almost certainly will, what are the ways the FL Supreme Court or legislature could ratfuck them? Is there any way they could raise the threshold past the already high 60%?
They can't raise that, it's in the state constitution. However, the FL SC could find ways to disqualify the amendments from the ballot.

L. Ron DeSantis
Nov 10, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

They can't raise that, it's in the state constitution. However, the FL SC could find ways to disqualify the amendments from the ballot.

Well they could try to raise it via a ballot amendment but I suspect that would work as well as it seems to be going in Ohio. I guess the more pressing concern is does the FL SC find a bullshit reason? They might; aren't most of them DeSantis appointees?

L. Ron DeSantis fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jul 27, 2023

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"
Recreational marijuana already has the signatures and Ashley Moody is trying to challenge the language of the proposed ammendment with the state SC to disqualify it. Hopefully it still makes the ballot, I would assume they'll try similar a similar challenge with abortion rights.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

L. Ron DeSantis posted:

Well they could try to raise it via a ballot amendment but I suspect that would work as well as it seems to be going in Ohio. I guess the more pressing concern is does the FL SC find a bullshit reason? They might; aren't most of them DeSantis appointees?
Yes the majority are DeSantis' appointees.

L. Ron DeSantis
Nov 10, 2009

I had a nightmare last night - Gov. Randy Fine.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
Lol, I’m watching the local news talk about the educational curriculum and the head of the Democratic youth council took his time to push back against the progressive wing. How loving long will we run Charlie Christ and his clones?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

LordSloth posted:

Lol, I’m watching the local news talk about the educational curriculum and the head of the Democratic youth council took his time to push back against the progressive wing. How loving long will we run Charlie Christ and his clones?
Until half the state sinks into the ocean

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

LordSloth posted:

I know people in FL that I grew up with that tend to vote for Democrats but still defended DeSantis when it came to keeping FL open for COVID and opposing vaccine mandates. There's just some kind of hosed up libertarian bent to people that choose to call FL home.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

WHAT KAMALA HARRIS DOES NOT WANT YOU TO KNOW: The slaves were also sometimes fed food that they digested for their own personal benefit. Slave owners also shared the air they owned and the sunlight their God allowed with the slaves. Why don't the democrats want that taught?

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Slavery personal benefits seems like a direct line of descent from "The rape 'victim' was given a beautiful gift of a baby boy with blue eyes"

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
Ron DeSantis sits down with Nazis. Ron DeSantis hires Nazis. By the transitive property, he is a Nazi

https://www.semafor.com/article/07/31/2023/desantis-meme-factory

That deleted video with the Nazi symbolism? His campaign director of research and data -wrote- “This belongs in the Smithsonian” in their confirmed authentic campaign ‘war room’ official meme creation Signal channel/chat room.

L. Ron DeSantis
Nov 10, 2009

It's pretty notable that Randy Fine, who is basically Ron's favorite bootlicking state rep and happens to be Jewish, has seemingly had nothing to say about the sonnenrad video. He can't not know, so I assume he thinks when the pogroms hit he'll be considered one of the "good ones".

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!
Well, if nothing else, at least this state excels at generating useful idiots.

L. Ron DeSantis
Nov 10, 2009

Looks like AP Psych may be permissible after being effectively banned days ago:

https://www.floridatoday.com/story/news/politics/2023/08/04/florida-ap-psychology-reversal-desantis/70532365007/

Florida Today posted:

AP Psychology could be back on students' schedules in Florida as DOE clarifies guidance
Ana Goñi-Lessan
Tallahassee Democrat

AP Psychology could be allowed in Florida after all.

A day after news broke that the state Department of Education was effectively banning the course by prohibiting instruction on gender and sexual orientation, the department is now clarifying it will allow school districts to teach the class in full, according to a letter sent to superintendents.

"In fact, the Department believes that AP Psychology can be taught in its entirety in a manner that is age and developmentally appropriate and the course remains listed in our course catalog," Florida Education Commissioner Manny Diaz Jr. wrote in a letter dated Friday.

The letter comes a day after the state advised superintendents they could offer AP Psychology but were instructed to exclude topics related to gender and sexual orientation to comply with Florida law.

The College Board, which runs the AP program, said this exclusion would "effectively ban" the class because such an adjustment would mean it couldn't be called Advanced Placement or used to earn college credit.

"To be clear, any AP Psychology course taught in Florida will violate either Florida law or college requirements," the College Board said Thursday. "Therefore, we advise Florida districts not to offer AP Psychology until Florida reverses their decision and allows parents and students to choose to take the full course."

The nonprofit, which also administers the SAT, said Friday's letter provided needed clarity for Florida educators. Nearly 30,000 Florida students were expecting to take the college-level course, and many school districts kick off the school year in just a few days.

"Today’s statement from the Florida Department of Education represents new guidance on AP Psychology," the College Board said Friday. "While district superintendents continue to seek additional clarity from the department, we note the clear guidance that, 'AP Psychology may be taught in its entirety.'"

Across Florida on Friday, districts were rushing to change student schedules and come up with alternative ways to teach college-level psychology classes just days before the 2023-2024 school year begins. Some districts, like Brevard Public Schools, decided to nix the class altogether.

"The way to safeguard both our employees and students is to remove the course from our offerings," wrote Superintendent Mark Rendell in an email to school board members on Friday afternoon.

In Leon County, the principal of Chiles High School sent out a letter to parents informing them the school would not be offering AP Psychology this year and would be offering a college-level class through dual enrollment at Florida A&M University (FAMU).

In Friday's letter to superintendents, Diaz said he was writing "out of an abundance of caution" in response to the College Board's earlier position.

"College Board has suggested that it might withhold the 'AP' designation from this course in Florida, ultimately hurting Florida students," he wrote. "This is especially concerning given that the new school year begins in a week. I want to be clear, AP Psychology is and will remain in the course code directory making it available to Florida students."

Diaz earlier blamed the College Board and its refusal to edit its AP Psychology curriculum for preventing students from taking the class this year.

"The Department didn’t 'ban' the course. The course remains listed in Florida’s Course Code Directory for the 2023-24 school year," DOE spokesperson Cassie Palelis wrote in an email. "We encourage the College Board to stop playing games with Florida students and continue to offer the course and allow teachers to operate accordingly."

For months, DOE has been in discussions with The College Board and other college-level course providers about their curriculum content. In May, the agency sent a letter to The College Board asking the organization to review all AP courses to see if they "need modification to ensure compliance" with a Florida law and state Board of Education rule targeting instruction on sexual orientation and gender identity. The College Board declined.

"We hope now that Florida teachers will be able to teach the full course, including content on gender and sexual orientation, without fear of punishment in the upcoming school year," the College Board stated on Friday.

Dr. Arthur C Evans Jr, CEO of the American Psychological Association, said for the past three decades in Florida, educators have always taught the class at a level that is age and developmentally appropriate, and he didn't know why the state suddenly decided to take out information that is "fundamental to understanding people."

“I think the lesson here is that issues of curriculum should be left to experts in the discipline, the educators who have taught this course for 30 years, and parents and students," he said.

Last year, Republican Gov. Ron DeSantis, who is running to be the Republican nominee for president, signed HB 1557, a measure officially known as the Parental Rights in Education act but derided by critics as the “Don’t Say Gay” law. The law outlawed instruction on sexual orientation or gender identity in kindergarten through third grade. This spring, the law was expanded to 12th grade.

Some district administrators and teachers in Florida remain uneasy about AP Psychology, even after Diaz's letter. The words "age appropriate," which Diaz writes in his letter, have been used frequently by the governor’s office and the Department of Education, but the state has never clearly defined the “age-appropriate” terms.

Teachers could face suspension or revocation of their educator certificates for violations of the rule if they “intentionally provide” instruction on gender and sexuality, according to the law.

Monika Frisby, a teacher at Godby High School in Tallahassee, fears mostly for her students, especially those who take advantage of AP credits to cut costs on college classes. Godby is a Title 1 school and the only high school located in Tallahassee’s 32304 ZIP code, which is dubbed the poorest in the state.

She’s been heartbroken, even angry, on behalf of her students, especially those who she said were excited about taking the class this year.

“My class was freedom,” she said. “Taking it away from them, that’s indoctrination. Now you’re taking knowledge away from my kids.”

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

space uncle posted:

Not a great outlook for the coasts with this graph.
At least that's sea ice. It doesn't affect sea level rise. Coastal areas are still screwed long-term though.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

I was in Florida in 2010 for a Congressional election and the fact that not much has changed is troublesome.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It's actually gotten a lot worse since 2010 by a fair magnitude

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

There's also a conservative demographic that HATES Trump for the same reasons us liberals do (ostensibly), but still think Desantis is good because they really don't pay attention to the news much.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Mulaney Power Move posted:

There's also a conservative demographic that HATES Trump for the same reasons us liberals do (ostensibly), but still think Desantis is good because they really don't pay attention to the news much.

He’s a tax cutter. That’s enough.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Yeah but that demo is like, "Mitt Romney and six other dudes," it's not a significant part of the electorate. Rockefeller Republicans exist, but they're like Pandas: too specialized to adapt to current environmental conditions and unable to reproduce.

I'd be fascinated to find any poll with crosstabs for party affiliation and trump disapproval and "reason: too dumb and crass" instead of "reason: isn't hurting marginalized people enough"

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I’m still blown away that Florida schools won’t allow college psychology and African American studies but will flat out use lies from Dennis Prager.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

I’m still blown away that Florida schools won’t allow college psychology and African American studies but will flat out use lies from Dennis Prager.
They just want to reform the school system in this state to be a re-education factory

Look at what they are doing to New College and you can get an idea of what they want

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

https://twitter.com/esqueer_/status/1688729484516577281

The cruelty is the point and the stupidity is a beneficial side effect for the fash

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Once again they are making lists

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

It came out at a school board meeting last night that Broward County Schools covered up a gang rape of a student in 2020.

A student who was already the victim of child sexual abuse (my wife was her 2nd grade teacher and the parents of the child were very forward and honest about the girl's history so that Mrs. LaLD would be informed and be able to identify any red flag behaviors and communicate with the parents/child as appropriate). The parents pulled the girl out of primary and homeschooled her for a number of years some time after she left 2nd grade.

In 2020, she returned to public schools at Stranahan high school. Two boys decided to make her a target. They carefully stalked her and learned where she lived, when her parents would be home, and took the wrong bus home for the purposes of stalking their chosen victim. Notably, this was not the bus that the offending students would normally take home - the bus driver never stopped the unauthorized passage of the offending students.

Once the boys knew her pattern and when she'd be vulnerable, the first boy that raped her followed her home, gained access to the home, and violently raped her. Upon leaving, the rapist ensured that the door remained unlocked so that the second rapist could easily access the home and commit his crime.

The then-14-year-old girl's father found her lying naked and victimized on the bathroom floor when he came home that day.

No investigation was conducted.

L. Ron DeSantis
Nov 10, 2009

Well since neither of the boys was wearing a skirt like in the similar incident in Virginia, there's nothing here for right wingers to get outraged about. Cis boys will be boys.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

L. Ron DeSantis posted:

Well since neither of the boys was wearing a skirt like in the similar incident in Virginia, there's nothing here for right wingers to get outraged about. Cis boys will be boys.

This is in the Democrat Party's deep-blue stronghold of Broward County.

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009

L. Ron DeSantis posted:

I don't think this is a trans issue and we should not respond to hearing about a child being raped by trying to make it about trans people, speaking as a trans person.

Is there a news story about this or something I can read? All I get is "Broward School Board meeting sees heated debate over LGBTQ+ Pride", which is sort of ironic.

ComradePyro fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Aug 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

ComradePyro posted:

I don't think this is a trans issue and we should not respond to hearing about a child being raped by trying to make it about trans people, speaking as a trans person.

Is there a news story about this or something I can read? All I get is "Broward School Board meeting sees heated debate over LGBTQ+ Pride", which is sort of ironic.

I've been searching all day for a version of the meeting that isn't the one that was shared privately to my wife and I've found "a" meeting from last night but I'm either wrong about which board meeting it was or the speakers were simply edited out and while I'm perfectly happy to just assume a grand conspiracy it's just as likely it was some sort of Public Safety Commission board or something like that - unfortunately my wife is passed out on the couch at the moment so I'll have to push for some more info when she's awake.