Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Szyznyk posted:

Nah. You have to look at the bright side. So who are we running for governor in 2026, Charlie Crist again or the reanimated corpse of Lawton Chiles?

Democrats will do anything and everything they can to avoid ceding power to the left, so they'll absolutely try and drum up another another "sobered up" ex-Republican, which puts them in an interesting spot: dyed-in-the-wool true believers of the Republican platform see anyone pulling the Crist stunt as a betrayer, and more radical elements outside of the Republican party won't turn out to vote for a former Republican - at best you'll get your straight-ticket party voters to come out and vote for them and...that's clearly not sufficient.

I haven't heard much chatter from within the F&E part of the party apparatus, so I don't really know what the dems plan for "v DeSantis 2026" is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

i say swears online posted:

if they're planning on running someone against desantis for governor then the candidate will be the least of their worries (desantis is term-limited which is why he's running for prez this cycle and not the next)

He's got two years, a friendly legislature and a friendly court to change that.

eta: My presumption is that he's working levers in the background that will allow him to maintain political relevance for decades to come*. He's spun up, I think, two new private police forces that are accountable to only him, he's gifted the current judicial with longer careers via pushing up the mandatory retirement age for judges and justices, and has show a willingness to apply the state's violence on monopoly to get his way outside institutional government. It's naive to think he's not going to attempt to hold onto power in Florida for as long as he can, legally or otherwise.

*this presumes the US Empire as it exists today has decades left on the clock

Lib and let die fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jul 24, 2023

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

i say swears online posted:

I guess? he just signed a term limits bill like three weeks ago though

He also signed a bill that re-instituted the right to vote for formerly incarcerated people, while most people who would have had their right to vote restored do not, by injecting his own post-facto bullshit into it about having to pay legal fees first.

He's incredibly uncharismatic, he's oafish, off-putting, and worst of all, Italian - but he's incredibly skilled at maneuvering the levers behind the curtain which is what folks, imo, are not scared enough about.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

also, here is a gift from C-SPAM:

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

The friendly legislature can’t change the constitution which is where his term limits are.

I'd love to be wrong about both his intentions and his abilities but so far everything I've seen adds up to "literal coup"

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

It came out at a school board meeting last night that Broward County Schools covered up a gang rape of a student in 2020.

A student who was already the victim of child sexual abuse (my wife was her 2nd grade teacher and the parents of the child were very forward and honest about the girl's history so that Mrs. LaLD would be informed and be able to identify any red flag behaviors and communicate with the parents/child as appropriate). The parents pulled the girl out of primary and homeschooled her for a number of years some time after she left 2nd grade.

In 2020, she returned to public schools at Stranahan high school. Two boys decided to make her a target. They carefully stalked her and learned where she lived, when her parents would be home, and took the wrong bus home for the purposes of stalking their chosen victim. Notably, this was not the bus that the offending students would normally take home - the bus driver never stopped the unauthorized passage of the offending students.

Once the boys knew her pattern and when she'd be vulnerable, the first boy that raped her followed her home, gained access to the home, and violently raped her. Upon leaving, the rapist ensured that the door remained unlocked so that the second rapist could easily access the home and commit his crime.

The then-14-year-old girl's father found her lying naked and victimized on the bathroom floor when he came home that day.

No investigation was conducted.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

L. Ron DeSantis posted:

Well since neither of the boys was wearing a skirt like in the similar incident in Virginia, there's nothing here for right wingers to get outraged about. Cis boys will be boys.

This is in the Democrat Party's deep-blue stronghold of Broward County.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

ComradePyro posted:

I don't think this is a trans issue and we should not respond to hearing about a child being raped by trying to make it about trans people, speaking as a trans person.

Is there a news story about this or something I can read? All I get is "Broward School Board meeting sees heated debate over LGBTQ+ Pride", which is sort of ironic.

I've been searching all day for a version of the meeting that isn't the one that was shared privately to my wife and I've found "a" meeting from last night but I'm either wrong about which board meeting it was or the speakers were simply edited out and while I'm perfectly happy to just assume a grand conspiracy it's just as likely it was some sort of Public Safety Commission board or something like that - unfortunately my wife is passed out on the couch at the moment so I'll have to push for some more info when she's awake.