Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I suspect Desantis is just cynically trying to win votes by stoking the culture wars fires vs. him being a genuine Hitler. I guess it's moot, because it's not like he's gonna stop even if he becomes president when there's always the next election. Last poll I saw has him getting whooped by Trump:
https://www.reuters.com/world/us/trump-has-47-support-among-republicans-desantis-19-reutersipsos-2023-07-19/

47% vs. 19% of Republicans. I think he'd be worse than Trump when it comes to downright fascism, but I'd like to hear more informed takes on that.

Florida is hosed though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I mean this is a guy who laughed in the face of Guantanomo prisoners when they were being tortured. He's just not a nice guy. He wins votes for that, sure, but your casual Republican can probably see he's an rear end in a top hat. Or maybe it's more that he just lacks charisma.

So does this mean Florida Republican voters are just more mean-spirited? My guess is it might extend from Florida being more culturally diverse wityhmore relative inequality. Being confronted with this drives them to extremism as a reaction. It's kind of like that old survey item that tried to assess racism and prejudice. People were more likely to support Civil Rights in principle than they were with actually having Black neighbors or having their White kids go to school with Black kids.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

There's also a conservative demographic that HATES Trump for the same reasons us liberals do (ostensibly), but still think Desantis is good because they really don't pay attention to the news much.