Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Mulaney Power Move posted:

So does this mean Florida Republican voters are just more mean-spirited? My guess is it might extend from Florida being more culturally diverse wityhmore relative inequality. Being confronted with this drives them to extremism as a reaction. It's kind of like that old survey item that tried to assess racism and prejudice. People were more likely to support Civil Rights in principle than they were with actually having Black neighbors or having their White kids go to school with Black kids.

I grew up in FL, a lot of people there are definitely libertarian minded, even some of the Democratic leaning ones. It's rarely worded this way but "gently caress you, got mine" is pretty accurate.

With comparatively low wages, no expanded medicaid, and the worst unemployment benefits in the country, it's a brutal place to be anything but old and rich.

Guess you can't blame them for not liking the government too much, since their state government does so little to benefit them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

LordSloth posted:

Lol, I’m watching the local news talk about the educational curriculum and the head of the Democratic youth council took his time to push back against the progressive wing. How loving long will we run Charlie Christ and his clones?

I know people in FL that I grew up with that tend to vote for Democrats but still defended DeSantis when it came to keeping FL open for COVID and opposing vaccine mandates. There's just some kind of hosed up libertarian bent to people that choose to call FL home.