Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
Cowslips you used to work with Matt Gaetz? Gross

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

A good chunk of the right-wing media sphere was like that.

Very early in 2020, Alex Jones had one of his health "experts" declare, "It's over for humanity. There will be only lone survivors."

Once people were taking it seriously in March/April 2020, he went right back to declaring it a hoax and immediately telling his audience about how vaccines that did not yet exist were going to be rolled out to kill a good chunk of the population.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

mojo1701a posted:

Very early in 2020, Alex Jones had one of his health "experts" declare, "It's over for humanity. There will be only lone survivors."

Once people were taking it seriously in March/April 2020, he went right back to declaring it a hoax and immediately telling his audience about how vaccines that did not yet exist were going to be rolled out to kill a good chunk of the population.

Alex Jones was the original inspiration for "conspiracy theory nut on the radio" from Deus Ex, it's kinda his shtick, so I don't know if his brain broke or not over covid.

Sure did draw in the ones that did, though, like flies to poo poo.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Mistle posted:

Alex Jones was the original inspiration for "conspiracy theory nut on the radio" from Deus Ex, it's kinda his shtick, so I don't know if his brain broke or not over covid.

Oh, don't get me wrong, Covid didn't break his brain (that we know of). I'm saying this was a pattern in the conspiracy theory set to immediately catastrophize it the way they always do, and then claim it as being nothing once everyone else actually did take it seriously.

Disco Godfather
May 31, 2011

Last week I found out two of my cousins (brothers) still haven't spoken to each other since December 2021 when they both got covid after going to a football game and had to miss Christmas. Apparently one still blames the other for inviting him. Their parents have been doing two separate events for every holiday and birthday so they can see all their grandkids.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Cowslips Warren posted:

There was a dude I worked with who was hardcore Trump, and when Covid had barely started, about January/Feb of 2020, the dude wore a gas mask. A literal loving gas mask, when people mostly hadn't even heard of masking yet. So you see this dude walk in a store with a gas mask, and he is the only one in a mask at all, I am surprised the fucker didn't get shot.

He ended up being let go because once mask mandates were a thing, he refused to wear any, and when a customer asked him to please mask when delivering medical equipment, he started screaming at the customer about his rights.

As for hunting Americans, I wonder, if you got the 5G CovID vaccine, think they'd still eat you because what if the poo poo passes through the meat? You gotta soak the meat in Covid water to neutralize it?
the knee jerk contrarian reaction of trumpers overs masks is one of my favorite parts.

i bet if trump had stood up on stage and put on an american flag mask or whatever they would have done the opposite of what they did and gone into stores shaming people for not wearing masks properly or whatever and made a huge stink over masking up or get out of my country

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

numberoneposter posted:

the knee jerk contrarian reaction of trumpers overs masks is one of my favorite parts.

i bet if trump had stood up on stage and put on an american flag mask or whatever they would have done the opposite of what they did and gone into stores shaming people for not wearing masks properly or whatever and made a huge stink over masking up or get out of my country

this. and he would have probably won re-election easily.

all someone had to do to Trump was show him the money. Make Trump masks, make it a law you need to wear masks and get a Trump vaccine, show that you are American and not afraid of CHIIINA.

The money and votes would have rolled in.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Mistle posted:

Nah, it was just a new grift for him.

Tellaris
Dec 23, 2005

Cat On Rope Entertainment: Random comments since 2004

Covid broke my brain in the sense that I lost the ability to taste sweetness and it hasn't come back close to 2 years later. Its extremely frustrating because I will occasionally get a craving for something and it never tastes right. I miss fresh chocolate chip cookies the most because now they just taste like baked flour.

Also making the same drive most days for the last 15 years and I've gone from seeing a flabbergasting maneuver from someone maybe once a week to several a day. In the last month I have experienced two people driving on the wrong side of the road, one guy driving through a red light (swerving through cross traffic), and one person plowing into a bunch of construction cones that were blocking off one lane on a straight road with no visual blockers. Also a LOT more super aggro drivers, tailgating and swerving through traffic at high speeds.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I never got covid or a vaccine

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I'm immortal

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

verbal enema posted:

I'm immortal

Haven't been proven wrong yet

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

mojo1701a posted:

That guy was Mike Adams who is better known as the "Health Ranger." He's basically a living billboard for supplements and quack cures that THEY don't want you to know about. It wasn't surprising that he got all worried about COVID at the start because the things either seen or made up about how China was dealing with the virus (particularly the "welding the doors shut on apartment buildings" thing) was the kind of stuff Adams and Jones think the US government just does to people already. They pivoted hard to the bioweapon myth and lab leak theory once it became apparent that their conservative audience was not going to accept any type of mitigation efforts. Jones even went so far as to blame the Deep State for nearly killing his dad with COVID that Alex likely infected him with during one of his multiple bouts with the virus.

Jones taking ivermectin on air will never not be funny. The guy had already admitted to having had COVID at least twice and claimed the horse paste was a prophylactic as well as a treatment. A few minutes later he claimed that the vaccines were the real killers and they didn't even work as people got COVID despite being vaccinated. No, don't apply that logic to his ivermectin stuff.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

anti vax guys seeing people on the news die and thinking immediately "oh wow, bet he was vaxed... wonder if that had anything to do with it :grin: :grin: :grin:"

vaxed and still masked everywhere guys seeing people on the news die and thinking immediately "oh wow, bet he wasn't vaxed... long covid much? :grin: :grin: :grin:"

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Lazyfire posted:

That guy was Mike Adams who is better known as the "Health Ranger." He's basically a living billboard for supplements and quack cures that THEY don't want you to know about. It wasn't surprising that he got all worried about COVID at the start because the things either seen or made up about how China was dealing with the virus (particularly the "welding the doors shut on apartment buildings" thing) was the kind of stuff Adams and Jones think the US government just does to people already. They pivoted hard to the bioweapon myth and lab leak theory once it became apparent that their conservative audience was not going to accept any type of mitigation efforts. Jones even went so far as to blame the Deep State for nearly killing his dad with COVID that Alex likely infected him with during one of his multiple bouts with the virus.

Jones taking ivermectin on air will never not be funny. The guy had already admitted to having had COVID at least twice and claimed the horse paste was a prophylactic as well as a treatment. A few minutes later he claimed that the vaccines were the real killers and they didn't even work as people got COVID despite being vaccinated. No, don't apply that logic to his ivermectin stuff.

Ohh yeah, I remember him infecting his dad with Covid. I think he explicitly blamed Bill Gates on it, too.

Most of my Alex Jones information comes from Knowledge Fight (like hell I'm going to mainline InfoWars directly). I was going backwards through the episodes and I got to about April 2020, and I just had to stop. Like, as bad as the pandemic has been, his bullshit from the first half of 2020 is just too much.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Mistle posted:

nothing broke his brain, he doesn't actually believe the stupid poo poo on he says on the radio, he's just a scammer.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.

verbal enema posted:

I'm immortal

Do you go out in public?

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Earwicker posted:

nothing broke his brain, he doesn't actually believe the stupid poo poo on he says on the radio, he's just a scammer.

He believes some of it under a certain context. On top of being a scammer, he's also a propagandist who was raised by Birchers.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Earwicker posted:

The problem with immersing yourself in a flood of nutso to seem more like you believe something is that, sooner or later, you’ll start buying into your lies on a subliminal level. I don’t care what Alex Jones claims to be, he’s basically walking cognitive dissonance who loudly projects his own disordered thinking onto everyone he’s decided is An Enemy, and the people he’s suckered aren’t nearly as likely to realize there’s a contradiction at play. One of my childhood friends was his right wing man for a while, and now runs a conspiracy site of his own that’s not less crazy than Prison Planet.

TruthStream Media, for those curious.

edit: gently caress, I meant Info Wars, but I assume Prison Planet is also wall to wall horseshit

Hasturtium fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Aug 5, 2023

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Hasturtium posted:

The problem with immersing yourself in a flood of nutso to seem more like you believe something is that, sooner or later, you’ll start buying into your lies on a subliminal level. I don’t care what Alex Jones claims to be, he’s basically walking cognitive dissonance who loudly projects his own disordered thinking onto everyone he’s decided is An Enemy, and the people he’s suckered aren’t nearly as likely to realize there’s a contradiction at play. One of my childhood friends was his right wing man for a while, and now runs a conspiracy site of his own that’s not less crazy than Prison Planet.

TruthStream Media, for those curious.

pretty much anything with the word Truth in it is like Patriot or Real American: you know they're loving nuts.

I think Charles Manson had some similar idea and quote, that if you get people isolated and you tell them things they know deep down might not be true, you keep them from news (or tell them it's all fake) eventually they believe whatever crap you tell them. It worked for him overall.

I have monthly aquarium meetings, and most of the attendees are older and retired. None of them ever wore a mask to any meeting, and lots of them complain that I do, because "we can't hear you talking" when I am reading off notes or calling raffle winners. At one point I lost my temper because they kept whining they couldn't hear me, but everyone in the room was talking loudly over each other, and I screamed at them all, telling them to shut the gently caress up, and asking if they could hear me now.

Apparently people in the room next door heard me. They didn't complain about my voice level again. They still get way too close to my personal space, and I think I made one dude, who was coughing without covering his mouth, mad, when I refused to take his raffle tickets and instead had him use hand sanitizer first.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Earwicker posted:

much like irony. if you immerse yourself in a scam long enough you start to believe

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

snergle posted:

much like irony. if you immerse yourself in a scam long enough you start to believe

It's like hooking up your emotional motivation source to seriously bad vibes. Sure you'll have temporary resilience, then comes the emotional dead zone. Gotta have another hit to feel alive again. Self-sustaining addiction cycle predicated on acting like an AH.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

psychic damage is real

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Tellaris posted:

Also making the same drive most days for the last 15 years and I've gone from seeing a flabbergasting maneuver from someone maybe once a week to several a day. In the last month I have experienced two people driving on the wrong side of the road, one guy driving through a red light (swerving through cross traffic), and one person plowing into a bunch of construction cones that were blocking off one lane on a straight road with no visual blockers. Also a LOT more super aggro drivers, tailgating and swerving through traffic at high speeds.

We're going to have the zombie apocalypse but instead of slow or fast zombies, they'll be rear end in a top hat zombies.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Animal-Mother posted:

We're going to have the zombie apocalypse but instead of slow or fast zombies, they'll be rear end in a top hat zombies.

I've been preparing. I have a "zombie wall" no zombie will be able to overcome at first.

I want to redefine zombies in the forest....

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

anti vax guys seeing people on the news die and thinking immediately "oh wow, bet he was vaxed... wonder if that had anything to do with it :grin: :grin: :grin:"

vaxed and still masked everywhere guys seeing people on the news die and thinking immediately "oh wow, bet he wasn't vaxed... long covid much? :grin: :grin: :grin:"

lol yeah pretty much

Overdog
Jul 12, 2023

by CVG

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I think if we ever had a zombie problem the best thing to do would be to slowly integrate them back into society. I mean how many people do you know that you don't really like, and how many brains does a zombie need to eat in a week? Like 1 or 2. So nbd better than an uprising. Just let them "uggghhhmmmmpphhrrr" and "aaaawwwwgghhhhhhh" and whatever makes them happy because man, we are all in this together. :dukedog:

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Overdog posted:

I think if we ever had a zombie problem the best thing to do would be to slowly integrate them back into society. I mean how many people do you know that you don't really like, and how many brains does a zombie need to eat in a week? Like 1 or 2. So nbd better than an uprising. Just let them "uggghhhmmmmpphhrrr" and "aaaawwwwgghhhhhhh" and whatever makes them happy because man, we are all in this together. :dukedog:

op only has half a brain and they’re out there just giving it away on the street corner

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Overdog posted:

zombie movies never got the people right who believed zombies were a government conspiracy. running full tilt at them screaming I KNOW MY RIGHTS.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Overdog posted:

fido is a good movie :)

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

zombie movies never got the people right who believed zombies were a government conspiracy. running full tilt at them screaming I KNOW MY RIGHTS.

Now that I've seen a zombie baby birth, I feel complete.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

Shoutout to r/hermancainaward

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Disco Godfather posted:

Last week I found out two of my cousins (brothers) still haven't spoken to each other since December 2021 when they both got covid after going to a football game and had to miss Christmas. Apparently one still blames the other for inviting him. Their parents have been doing two separate events for every holiday and birthday so they can see all their grandkids.

If you really wanna stir the poo poo, ask which one is the first of the two events, because it would be a hell of a thing if the blaming brother caught covid from the blamed brother through shared family visitation because they visited second. :lol:

Overdog
Jul 12, 2023

by CVG

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Dick Fontaine posted:

op only has half a brain and they’re out there just giving it away on the street corner

They zombies did get to me a little, but I was able to sooth and calm them with kindness. Most of it is there though dudde. Hey I'd like to introduce you to a zombie friend of mine, they're cool don't worry. :wink:

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

redshirt posted:

Do you go out in public?

Every day

8523_2
Aug 6, 2023
COVID: name a project more expensive than Matthew

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I finally caught Covid for the first time this week. It was mercifully brief. I felt like poo poo for a day, was a bit sick the next day and then by day 3 I felt pretty much back to normal (though my sinuses are still a little stuffy). I took a couple of days off work and watched some old something awful let's plays/started playing through Majora's Mask.

I figured I'd catch it doing something fun since I've pretty much been living my life as normal, but it was some lady at the department store with a visibly ill (and maskless) child and I wasn't paying enough attention to my surroundings so I walked straight into the same self-serve checkout. I was only there for like 5 seconds so man that kid must have fuckin' crop dusted that entire shop.

Ah well, had to happen at some point I guess. I'm proud of my high score at least.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I had COVID last summer in the UK. It was fine, but I had a breakout fever the first 2 days.

Those 2 days corresponding with the hottest 2 days ever recorded here.

Cannot recommend that experience.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

one less for team untainted. a dying breed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
Can't smell for poo poo and therefore can't taste as well either. Cooking is/was one of my "things". I made my boss lay me off so I could finish the school year with my kid, and realized how much I was missing. Now I have the hardest time ever working for someone else, jump from job to job, expecting it to be different. A shop reached out on indeed because I messed with my resume. I actually told him I want out of the industry, that's why I cut out some places I did less than a year at. They pushed and pushed for an interview. Currently I make the most money I've made, have the most PTO anyone in this industry would think to offer, but at the same time, I really do think I am done with grinding and ruining things I love to do by monetizing them, thinking I'm supposed to do what I love.

I hate capitalism, I'm no longer the social butterfly I once was, in fact I can't stand anyone for more than 5 mins. Had to seek out help for depression, now I'm dealing with being medicated for the first time in my life. It's good, because I did a fantastic job of thinking I was normal, and it's normal to be constantly in a state of fight or flight, or daydreaming of dying or other bad things happening isnt thoughts of suicide(I think it is?).

Homesteading and gardening and building things around that is pretty much all I think about. Got really lucky and refinanced the house right before interest rates blew up, so it looks like I am going to stay buckled down, try to pay off the house and rent it(reasonably priced) and use that as a source of income to not have to work. Shame it's the only way pretty much for working people to accumulate any kind of wealth(ability to retire at a sensible age).

In conclusion, I guess mostly positive, but I don't feel any better about life or the future.