Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Re: therapy, I've had good luck finding a therapist with psychologytoday.com in two different cities since 2020. Don't use betterhelp it's garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

redshirt posted:

One of the odd things I've noticed is people drive faster now than pre-covid.

I religiously use cruise control and I used to set it 7MPH above the posted speed limit, which back then would make me generally one of the fast vehicles.

But now that's too slow and tons of people pass me. So I've upped it to 10 over.

low tire pressure

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Ars Arcanum posted:

It helped break my brain.

I left my toxic academia job to work retail again and go to grad school (again) to become a counselor/therapist. If Covid hadn’t happened, I’d probably have graduated and been licensed by now. But the way people behaved in the midst of it (particularly before vaccines and effective treatments) made me decide I’d rather help society by directing them to the pickle aisle rather than trying to help them with their mental health.

It might sound paradoxical, but I’d rather work in an environment where I just help people find stuff they want to buy instead of trying to help them work on their minds (which utterly loving shattered).

Call me selfish or a sell-out or whatever, but I need my sanity intact.

Honestly, when my psychiatrist friend has mentioned patients (not identifying information and not much beyond things that have frustrated her), I’m glad I didn’t go into psychology. Cause people that I consider monstrous deserve to try to be less monstrous and I can’t imagine being able to separate my reactions from thinking about their victims.

Not that that was an option. I don’t have a degree, but I was young and trying to figure out what I wanted to do at one time. Now I’m old and think I know what I want to do but can’t figure out how to do so.

My brain is still broken from Covid.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

The SA covid threads have produces some of the funniest content that this site has seen in nearly 20 years

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
It's probably giving covid too much credit, but I got married like a day before everything closed down and my relationship has never been in a worse place!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.

Bad Purchase posted:

low tire pressure

My tire pressure is good, thank you.

SHUT UP WESLEY
Mar 15, 2010

Toxic Mental posted:

The SA covid threads have produces some of the funniest content that this site has seen in nearly 20 years

isnt that special

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
Between the veterinarian shortage and all the covid puppies, things are pretty bleak right now in animal health care. Or at least small animal/cats and dogs practice. I wish I had more time to actually talk to people. Curbside drop offs became the norm and some places basically refuse to go back. I'm looking into going to a practice that doesn't do drop offs except when they need to fit people in last minute. I haven't decided yet but part of me really wants to. It was pretty embarrassing when I was observing the doctor at that clinic in an appointment and when the owner found out where I worked he said he wouldn't go back there because he never talked to the vet. It's depressing and makes me feel guilty. But if we do more appointments in the exam room we have less time to see and help as many pets. And there is huge demand for appointments in my area. It's rough.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Konar posted:

It's probably giving covid too much credit, but I got married like a day before everything closed down and my relationship has never been in a worse place!

“Blame it on the rain…”

E. Vvv, yea, it’s great, tbh

Brother Tadger fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jul 15, 2023

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Everyone started, or restarted, smoking weed. Even old people.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

CaptainSarcastic posted:

You are now my enemy.

I work weird hours, and have a circadian rhythm disorder that makes me kind of nocturnal, and the foreshortening of hours is actually a big deal for me. Even just having my nearest grocery stores close at 11pm instead of midnight is burdensome. And having pharmacy hours absolutely slashed makes it hard for me to find time to pick up my medications, particularly since shorter hours means longer lines.

:yeah:

I work manufacturing and I make the money I do because I'm a night person and I can fill niche jobs that are open for years because nobody wants to work 6-6. I worked through the entirety of covid. Everything shutting down at 9-10pm and staying that way permanently has made life pretty difficult.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

SHUT UP WESLEY posted:

idk if ill ever get a haircut or eat in a restaurant again

Just lol if you don't get your haircut at your favorite local restaurant.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Saalkin posted:

Just lol if you don't get your haircut at your favorite local restaurant.

Carlos Beer Garden in Houston has you covered. Assuming Carlos is still alive...

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Even in NYC, open hours have generally gotten a lot shorter, and it absolutely sucks. I want to be able to go run errands or get takeout at 9, 10, 11 if I want. That’s supposed to be one of the benefits of living in the city, you know, the one that never sleeps, instead of the suburbs. Now places close at 7 or 8 and it blows

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

Even in NYC, open hours have generally gotten a lot shorter, and it absolutely sucks. I want to be able to go run errands or get takeout at 9, 10, 11 if I want. That’s supposed to be one of the benefits of living in the city, you know, the one that never sleeps, instead of the suburbs. Now places close at 7 or 8 and it blows

NYC sleeps now???

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Anne Whateley posted:

yea my brother works in a hospital in NYC, sometimes the 12am-4am shift and sometimes the 8pm-12am shift, and he says NYC is not at all a "24 hour city" anymore and he eats at like the same kebab place every single night because its the only place open all night anywhere nearby

UKJeff
May 17, 2023

by vyelkin

Earwicker posted:

yea my brother works in a hospital in NYC, sometimes the 12am-4am shift and sometimes the 8pm-12am shift, and he says NYC is not at all a "24 hour city" anymore and he eats at like the same kebab place every single night because its the only place open all night anywhere nearby

Hmm maybe he could try cooking at home? I dunno, just a suggestion

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

UKJeff posted:

Hmm maybe he could try cooking at home? I dunno, just a suggestion

:frogout:

UKJeff
May 17, 2023

by vyelkin
Maybe all the vampires itt could band up and open a night shift store for each other so that normal humans don’t have to sacrifice their health and well-being for a bunch a goons that stay up late playing video games

UKJeff
May 17, 2023

by vyelkin

Didn’t like that, huh? Truth hurts I guess

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

UKJeff posted:

Maybe all the vampires itt could band up and open a night shift store for each other so that normal humans don’t have to sacrifice their health and well-being for a bunch a goons that stay up late playing video games

:thunk:

Or maybe society could recognize there are more chronotypes than just goddamn morning people.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i'm a night person as well, but i don't want to force a bunch of people to work horrible shifts so that i can buy groceries at 2 am

it probably makes sense in a city where there's a critical mass of people to make it worthwhile for a subset of businesses to remain open, especially if people work those shifts voluntarily because that's their preferred schedule. i don't think the suburbs can support that kind of thing in a way that's good for the employees though. just a guess, i'm not a retail manager and don't know how common it is for people to like those shifts.

kinda the same opinion about stores being open on holidays. i mean, yeah, it's convenient for me because i don't have to plan ahead or can go out to restaurants with friends while i'm personally off work. however, i think it would be nice if everyone got the day off and we just accepted it's ok for retail spaces to close for a full day sometimes.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

bossy lady posted:

Retro game market went absolutely insane. I guess a combination of boredom and nostalgia hit people hard and then opportunists jumped on board? I have no clue.

I think it's more the collectables market in general. Crypto basically taught people that you can turn anything into currency which caused hyper inflation of a bunch of old junk that wasn't worth much a few years ago. Even new junk. Game consoles and graphics cards were practically currency for a while there.

The retro games market does seem weirdly calculated though, like some big scam/collaborative effort to artificially bump prices into the stratosphere. It's both gross and fascinating and I hope someone does a good writeup or video on it. Or if one exists, someone point me in that direction.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

veni veni veni posted:

I think it's more the collectables market in general. Crypto basically taught people that you can turn anything into currency which caused hyper inflation of a bunch of old junk that wasn't worth much a few years ago. Even new junk. Game consoles and graphics cards were practically currency for a while there.

graphics cards and game consoles weren't inflated because people saw them as crypto-like collectibles

graphics cards were bought faster than they could be manufactured specifically to mine crypto, and there was a chip shortage that prevented the GPU and console manufacturers from scaling up production. it was a simple supply/demand problem.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

CaptainSarcastic posted:

:thunk:

Or maybe society could recognize there are more chronotypes than just goddamn morning people.

It's me the local night owl. I prefer nighttime from the scenery to the nonexistent crowds. If it weren't for keeping my schedule with someone else I'd go right back to waking up at 7pm.
It's something like, 20% of people? So the idea that, "normal people shouldn't have to work these shifts for night time people" is pretty absurd, plenty of night people to work those shifts as they're already on them.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Earwicker posted:

That reminds me, there are also a lot fewer halal carts, and boy am I upset about that too. And the prices!!!!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Bad Purchase posted:

graphics cards and game consoles weren't inflated because people saw them as crypto-like collectibles

graphics cards were bought faster than they could be manufactured specifically to mine crypto, and there was a chip shortage that prevented the GPU and console manufacturers from scaling up production. it was a simple supply/demand problem.

I guess that was a bad comparison but there is definitely something funkier going on with retro games.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

Bad Purchase posted:

i'm a night person as well, but i don't want to force a bunch of people to work horrible shifts so that i can buy groceries at 2 am

it probably makes sense in a city where there's a critical mass of people to make it worthwhile for a subset of businesses to remain open, especially if people work those shifts voluntarily because that's their preferred schedule. i don't think the suburbs can support that kind of thing in a way that's good for the employees though. just a guess, i'm not a retail manager and don't know how common it is for people to like those shifts.

kinda the same opinion about stores being open on holidays. i mean, yeah, it's convenient for me because i don't have to plan ahead or can go out to restaurants with friends while i'm personally off work. however, i think it would be nice if everyone got the day off and we just accepted it's ok for retail spaces to close for a full day sometimes.

it's not even about full 24 hour service

anyone who works day shift gets to go on their weekend or during hellhour now

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

redshirt posted:

But now that's too slow and tons of people pass me. So I've upped it to 10 over.

I do 9 over. After the ten plusses roar by, I'm still faster than the slowpokes and usually have the road to myself for a good amount of time. Both fast drivers and slow drivers tend to drive in clumps.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

doctorfrog posted:

I do 9 over. After the ten plusses roar by, I'm still faster than the slowpokes and usually have the road to myself for a good amount of time. Both fast drivers and slow drivers tend to drive in clumps.

Indeed my friend. I have a saying about that very phenomena:

Maximize the gaps, blast the packs

(IE moderate your speed to increase those times you are in the void; when you come upon a pack try your best to get through it ASAP)

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Bad Purchase posted:

it probably makes sense in a city where there's a critical mass of people to make it worthwhile for a subset of businesses to remain open, especially if people work those shifts voluntarily because that's their preferred schedule.

I remember early in the pandemic during shutdowns NYC learned they had to keep a few liquor stores open or people with severe alcohol addictions would have gone into DTs when hospitals absolutely did not have capacity to deal with it.

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro
COVID fixed my brain for a bit because I was going through a really rough anxiety/depression/panic attacks phase (never really struggled with that before) and started therapy juuuust before COVID kicked off and COVID kind of served as a distraction from my inner dialog constantly telling me I'm a piece of poo poo.

Then when COVID tapered back a bit my mental health plummeted to the point where one day I just said "gently caress it" and walked off my job.

Oddly, ever since then, I've felt great. Still not sure what it was about that job, but it sure scrambled my brain while I was doing it

Oh yeah also after I quit I found out that I had spent the last four years working with my 100% blood brother that I didn't know I had but that didn't really have anything to do with any of the mental issues, it was just p. weird and cool

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Covid allowed me to go permanently work from home after just a year since I joined the corporate world after quitting my teaching job. So that ruled. I have no intent to ever work from anywhere other than my home office ever again.

Previously the happiest period of time in my life was right at the end of college where I had no more classes to take, and I got laid off from my job so I was just getting unemployment checks with the intention to move out of the country anyways, which I did.

Right now has basically become the best time in my life because I am happily married, my job is insanely easy and I can just kind of watch youtube, go out with my wife and go to the gym any time I want every day. It's like every day is a Saturday. And I owe it to covid for putting me in this spot I guess.

Toxic Mental fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jul 16, 2023

Pajser
Jan 28, 2006

Earwicker posted:

i found one through my lovely insurance but either he's more depressed than i am or he's an ai or both

My brain is too broken to see ai anything other than fake as poo poo.

If *this* is the first job ai takes over, well then im hosed.

Also im in the EU, everything private takes cash anyway. You would think they would at least have automated emails set up.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I didn't take Covid seriously at all until the NBA went and shut down. And I wasn't even a big NBA fan then, but that was the sign for me this poo poo was serious. I immediately drove to a big grocery store and bought so much.

repsnake
Sep 1, 2002

COVID didn't break my brain, but my job during COVID did. I was working at a university / university hospital as tech support trying to get a free ride on an MBA. When COVID hit, all the boomer doctors and professors along with the administrative seat-fillers got kicked home and needed to learn how to use a computer for the first time in their lives. I went from taking 15 phone calls a day to 50 and had a horrible boss to make it worse. I quit after I graduated from Zoom university.

At first, everyone was scared but polite and then after 6 months everyone was vile and stayed that way. People are still vile- everyone is in a constant state of road rage mentality even out of their cars.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Toxic Mental posted:

Covid allowed me to go permanently work from home after just a year since I joined the corporate world after quitting my teaching job. So that ruled. I have no intent to ever work from anywhere other than my home office ever again.

yep, this side effect of the pandemic is pretty great. my company told everyone to get back in the office about 6 months ago, but i told them no, and got reclassified as permanently remote. i can still go in when i absolutely need to since there are a few pieces of lab equipment i might need to touch, but it's been such a tremendous improvement to quality of life, i can't imagine going back. i'd sooner retire and live in poverty for the rest of my life than spend 10 hours per day in an office again.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Bad Purchase posted:

i also miss the convenience, but i think it was crazy of them to stay open and probably hellish for the people who had to work those shifts. i know some people prefer nights, but i bet most who got those didn't.

Night shift at walmart was far from the worst job I ever worked.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I was incredibly blessed. All my jobs went remote, everyone was accommodating. I did so much drugs and alcohol and got paid the same, it was amazing, like I was for the first time freed from all that work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

super sweet best pal posted:

Night shift at walmart was far from the worst job I ever worked.

When I worked retail I liked the early shifts like starting at 6am, nice to leave early afternoon and have rest of day to myself and customers shopping early seemed nicer. I did not care for the 4pm to 11pm Friday/Saturday shifts especially hauling carts in the dark.

redshirt posted:

I was incredibly blessed. All my jobs went remote, everyone was accommodating. I did so much drugs and alcohol and got paid the same, it was amazing, like I was for the first time freed from all that work.

When working remote have not touched alcohol while on the clock, it’s rare but if suddenly get called into zoom meeting to help management I’m not clever enough to think I could fake being sober & that would get me on unwanted radar real quick.