Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

redshirt posted:

Congrats to your family for making it through that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
It's a combination of COVID and social media, but some relationships in my extended family cratered. Slight grudges turned into outright feuds. It's crazy listening to a 70-year-old bring up a grievance she has with her older sister from high school (and vis-versa).

I talked to one of my co-workers about this, and he's in the same situation. When we visit family, we can't be photographed, or else the feuding family members will see the pictures on Facebook, and start yelling at us about arguments that occurred before we were born.

Odd going from celebrating large extended family holidays, to nothing, then suddenly to "if you talk to your aunts or cousins again I'll be very upset!". What the hell happened?

I have younger children right now, and suddenly my boomer parents, aunts, and uncles have become another set of children. Social Media breeds nothing but resentment.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I’m convinced it’s partially a reaction to people feeling out of control of their lives. There was a big phenomenon that forcibly changed the entire world in an extremely short amount of time. People are trying to exert any control they can.

Griz
May 21, 2001

AndreTheGiantBoned posted:

Maybe more applicable to people in this forum, but how are there people who say "I will never visit a restaurant again" or "I am still masking at all occasions"? Is this an American thing?

Here in Europe it is as covid never existed, except for the ghost test centers. People do not even get tested or ask when they get sick

restaurants cost way too loving much now, and wearing a mask in the grocery store protects me and is not uncomfortable since I found a KN95 brand that fits (wellbefore)

walk around a walmart and you see like 2 people wearing a mask (usually old and/or asian) and way more people with a constant nasty cough

no one tests here either so all the official stats are massively underreporting. I think wastewater samples are the best metric now

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Extra Large Marge posted:

It's a combination of COVID and social media, but some relationships in my extended family cratered. Slight grudges turned into outright feuds. It's crazy listening to a 70-year-old bring up a grievance she has with her older sister from high school (and vis-versa).

I talked to one of my co-workers about this, and he's in the same situation. When we visit family, we can't be photographed, or else the feuding family members will see the pictures on Facebook, and start yelling at us about arguments that occurred before we were born.

Odd going from celebrating large extended family holidays, to nothing, then suddenly to "if you talk to your aunts or cousins again I'll be very upset!". What the hell happened?

I have younger children right now, and suddenly my boomer parents, aunts, and uncles have become another set of children. Social Media breeds nothing but resentment.

Ugh that stuff is no fun to deal with, especially when people start getting weirdly secretive. “Oh you can’t go by grandma’s to pick up that rug on this day, because so and so is there! Just make the 100 mile trip on a weekday instead.” But… I barely know that cousin?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Sound off if you are still in the No Covid Crew.

I'm here.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
i don't think i ever got COVID

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Covid broke my brain. But not in the ways you see in public meltdowns and freakouts. It was the worst two years of my life, easily. I lost a lot of friendships and I'm in a much better place with recovery but it's still hard some days.

The thing that changed for me is before COVID, I didn't hate people. I could understand and respect medical freedoms and people's decisions for themselves. But then COVID came and the idiocy surrounding masks and social distancing started. The constant loop of idiots making fun of COVID on social media, followed by "Please pray for them, donate to this gofundme please!!" and them dying became a meme to me. Eventually I'm at the point where I'm glad they fall into this completely avoidable trap. It's absolute lunacy and the most absolute bare minimum was required from people. Just wear a mask. Don't go out if you don't need to. Get the vaccine. It's almost literally the cure.

And that was TOO MUCH for these people. Absolute selfish and stupid ingrates. It got to the point in late 2021 where I was glad they were dying. I don't feel that way anymore but at the same time I feel absolutely nothing when someone wins their Herman Cain award either.

I am disappointed in myself for feeling that way. It feels like something COVID has taken from me for good.

Edit: I got COVID in March 2020. It was a horrific fever for me and I was like "If this gets any worse, I'm going to the hospital." and I took a nap, and after waking up it never got that bad again. Then I was just weak for the next 2 weeks.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

redshirt posted:

That first time I went to the supermarket after poo poo went down -- there was an occupancy limit, so even though I went at 9 AM on a Wednesday I had to wait in a line outside (6 foot apart).

And then the grocery store had direction arrows in the aisles. Which I fully agreed with and got pissed any time anyone went against them.

Then coming home and washing all my groceries, my clothes, me. Just hosing off everything.

Shopping at Costco when they first opened the doors back up was a pretty nice experience ngl.

Had to stand outside in a line like an amusement park ride but once you were in you had entire aisles to yourself.

All You Can Eat
Aug 27, 2004

Abundance is the dullest desire.
I really feel for those young adults who missed out on most of their high school years.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Our home is still no-COVID.
We're the only ones in both of our extended families who haven't gotten it.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Maybe more applicable to people in this forum, but how are there people who say "I will never visit a restaurant again" or "I am still masking at all occasions"? Is this an American thing?

Here in Europe it is as covid never existed, except for the ghost test centers. People do not even get tested or ask when they get sick
That’s true for like 95% of Americans. Unfortunately there are a lot of people who are immunocompromised, have other health issues, are old, etc., and some of those people are aware covid could still gently caress them up bigtime.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
i think the first hosed up super market experience is like the "where were you?" of COVID.

im pretty sure it was actually Friday, March 13th for me. the place i go to is usually a little chaotic but people were getting angry and yelling at each other in line.

this was before any real shortages and all the grocery bullshit we know today, just pure panic and anxiety in the air man

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

GolfHole posted:

tech greedflation is 100% real

i like that nobody disagrees with this

i dont like that it is ruining western civilization

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

All You Can Eat posted:

I really feel for those young adults who missed out on most of their high school years.

Oh yeah that was terrible & we’re gonna be feeling the fallout for a while. Was reading article about a high school principal struggling to accommodate students who had pretty much lived online for two years backed into a structured environment.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Well my wife has MS and I have always had a lovely respiratory system, so this is us. As far as we know, neither of us has had COVID.

We wear n95+ masks all the time and if we get food, we get it to go and eat it in the car. We've also mastered the tilt mask/bite/release technique because we do need to eat in public sometimes.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Beartaco posted:

Nobody's watching a 50 minute long youtube video.

tl;dr your poo poo

drat kids on their youtubes! Don't they know only good content is made by network television?

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Covid broke my brain.

Covid made me realize there's a 6th stage of grief. Call it the "lol/lmao" stage. It's when you've been at acceptance for a while, but you're surrounded by people still in denial.

e: still haven't got it. N95s save lives

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Duck and Cover posted:

drat kids on their youtubes! Don't they know only good content is made by network television?

I’m aggressively poisoned by TikTok if it’s more than 3 mins I ain’t watching it

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

GolfHole posted:

I’m aggressively poisoned by Vine if it’s more than 6 seconds I ain’t watching it

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

All You Can Eat posted:

It's a drag to see. They generally aren't as smart and half of them just don't seem to be present. I don't even mean on the phone all the time, though that's part of it. I mean they don't talk, sleep all the time, barely do classwork, maybe have airpods in literally all day. So many of them just seem totally checked out. I know high school sucks and always has but man it's a drag to see so many of them like that. Of course there are still kids who are all there, and a few who are something special, but there are sooooo many who are just not there.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Lmao if you honestly think younger people are lazy.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Can I think they're lazy but also that the system sucks too

I mean I was lazy and the system sucked in my day too

I mean I'm saying this as someone who left teaching because social media and phone culture actually made it impossible to do the job I loved

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I got covid last November and it broke my nose. I had smell hallucinations for 6 months. Mostly cigarettes. Not fresh smoke, but that stale old poo poo that seeps out the walls. Last time I noticed it was a few weeks ago.

Curiously, I could temporarily 'pause' it by applying pressure to the tip of my nose. If I took my finger away, the smell came back.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

DickParasite posted:

Covid made me realize there's a 6th stage of grief. Call it the "lol/lmao" stage. It's when you've been at acceptance for a while, but you're surrounded by people still in denial.

"Crack........ ping!

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

DickParasite posted:

e: still haven't got it. N95s save lives

Is that where "Whatever, I'll just sit back and watch the world burn just to prove I was right this whole time" fits in? Because I've been like that with covid and climate change for a while now.

No one's going to listen anyway, so might as well :munch:

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Nowadays, you can do anything that you want; anal, oral, fisting, but you need to be wearing gloves, condoms, protection.
If you're still obsessively masking up in 2023 you might be derranged.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

The air is poison where I live, and it's not due to viruses.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Ape Fist posted:

If you're still obsessively masking up in 2023 you might be derranged.

i don't think everyone i see wearing a mask these days is deranged. in fact, the most deranged people i know irl never wore masks unless absolutely forced.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
COVID totally hosed me over it was great. I had gotten out of the hospital literally right as COVID started going "Oh boy, I got all my poo poo fixed, time to--oh, this one seems kinda bad, gonna wait that out... gonna just... wait that out... oh god... oh poo poo oh gently caress no... what do you mean they raided the capitol--oh wow they're letting that rent forgiveness come close to the wire--oh god how many dead--"

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

It was really weird back in the first few weeks when you genuinely didn't know that it wouldn't just float in through an open window and get you. I mean maybe you did if you tried to follow the research on still-living twitter. Glad I was able to keep zen about it (and stress half to death about work instead)

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

SulfurMonoxideCute posted:

Is that where "Whatever, I'll just sit back and watch the world burn just to prove I was right this whole time" fits in? Because I've been like that with covid and climate change for a while now.

No one's going to listen anyway, so might as well :munch:

:hmmyes:

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Nowadays, you can do anything that you want; anal, oral, fisting, but you need to be wearing gloves, condoms, protection.

Bad Purchase posted:

i don't think everyone i see wearing a mask these days is deranged. in fact, the most deranged people i know irl never wore masks unless absolutely forced.

I think if you refused to wear masks because "The Government" during the height you were a lunatic. I think if you're still obsessively wearing them now after its clearly endemic then you're the lunatic.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Ape Fist posted:

I think if you refused to wear masks because "The Government" during the height you were a lunatic. I think if you're still obsessively wearing them now after its clearly endemic then you're the lunatic.

Indeed, attempting to over throw the government and wearing something on my face to protect myself are the same thing.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Ape Fist posted:

nah, i saw a few at the grocery store yesterday, mostly elderly, wearing masks and i don't think they were deranged or lunatics. i think you've got a weird hangup if you really think that.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Covid is still the #4 cause of death in the US. Not everyone is excited to help it move up

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I guess also, covid just ruined my internal scale for death as well

Like 9/11 was 'the thing' that was the emblem of mass death in the western world for me

But then reading that there was 1-3 9/11s happening weekly, and that this was a political issue ruined my head a little

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

Ape Fist posted:

nah gently caress you, I don't wanna get sick, and no one in public is entitled to see my face, what does it matter to you?

fartman
Sep 19, 2021

I would say not just American, but it is definitely a "very online person in an anglophone country" thing. It was definitely a bit of a shock going to Europe as a Canadian in may 2022 and seeing nobody give a gently caress about it, you could go into a hospital without a mask etc — meanwhile my province in Canada had only just lifted its indoor mask mandate that month

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i think if you wanna throw down about mask wearing or talk about endemic vs pandemic, it's probably best to go post in the actual covid thread instead: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3966953
(but also, please don't do that)

i think this thread is meant to be about all the knock-on effects of the pandemic and the collective response that aren't related to the disease itself or the millions of deaths