Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I’m a medical professional who spends a good part of my working day right up in people’s faces. Between vaxing, boosting and social distancing I’ve managed not to get COVID. I used to get upper respiratory infections a few times a year with at least one a year causing several weeks of miserable hacking cough. I’ve had none of this since the pandemic and that is reason enough to maintain N95 use at work and grocery shopping etc.

I have started to go to movies and restaurants again, recognizing this is an increased risk of getting COVID and getting infections generally. I will never do these things with the frequency that I did before COVID.

I could rationalize and almost understand everything that happened in the pandemic right up until a highly protective vaccine was developed that I felt very privileged to be at the front of the line to receive, living in the richest country that could give it to everyone for free, and a substantial portion of the country simply… refused to get it. That was my crack ping brain busting moment.

I mean this was some miracle bullshit straight out of the movies, team of scientists develop vaccine just in time for Christmas! And these fuckers not only wouldn’t take it but created and believed all kinds of crazy myths to justify this stance.

If you watch the film Contagion they get almost everything right but they didn’t see that coming either. They got the panic buying, the social media snake oil hucksters, violent mobs. But the only thing they caught about vaccines was people abusing privilege to get in front of the line.

Zwabu fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jul 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

AuroMarshmallow posted:

I very recently caught covid for the first time, and lost my senses of smell and taste for a few days. Taste was weird because I could still taste like the basic flavors of something (a lemon candy tasted sweet but not like lemon, etc) which somehow felt even stranger than if I had just lost it completely.

Distorted sensation is much stranger than no sensation at all. And for some things, like touch, it can be more distressing than pain. After a nerve injury or stroke the abnormal prickly sensation that can replace normal touch can be profoundly distressing.