Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Even in NYC, open hours have generally gotten a lot shorter, and it absolutely sucks. I want to be able to go run errands or get takeout at 9, 10, 11 if I want. That’s supposed to be one of the benefits of living in the city, you know, the one that never sleeps, instead of the suburbs. Now places close at 7 or 8 and it blows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Earwicker posted:

yea my brother works in a hospital in NYC, sometimes the 12am-4am shift and sometimes the 8pm-12am shift, and he says NYC is not at all a "24 hour city" anymore and he eats at like the same kebab place every single night because its the only place open all night anywhere nearby
That reminds me, there are also a lot fewer halal carts, and boy am I upset about that too. And the prices!!!!

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I remember early in the pandemic during shutdowns NYC learned they had to keep a few liquor stores open or people with severe alcohol addictions would have gone into DTs when hospitals absolutely did not have capacity to deal with it.
Liquor store employees were declared essential workers right from the beginning throughout the US afaik. That is the reason, but it was part of the planning, they didn’t figure it out the hard way.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

AndreTheGiantBoned posted:

Maybe more applicable to people in this forum, but how are there people who say "I will never visit a restaurant again" or "I am still masking at all occasions"? Is this an American thing?

Here in Europe it is as covid never existed, except for the ghost test centers. People do not even get tested or ask when they get sick
That’s true for like 95% of Americans. Unfortunately there are a lot of people who are immunocompromised, have other health issues, are old, etc., and some of those people are aware covid could still gently caress them up bigtime.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Covid is still the #4 cause of death in the US. Not everyone is excited to help it move up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Ape Fist posted:

Viruses when introduced to the population absolutely do reak havoc for the first X years and then eventually become endemic. It's no viruses intention to kill the host, it's their intention to live alongside and spread. Humans and the virus have both evolved to adapt. This is not weird or odd to have this opinion.
That’s what happened to AIDS, right, it didn’t want to kill anybody so it just stopped hurting anyone? Same with rabies, maybe a hundred years ago it killed people, but now you can get bitten and just go about your life.

Spoiler, that’s not how viruses work. It’s not “my opinion,” you’re just wrong. That’s why, for example, we even saw worse variants of covid evolve.

Bad Purchase posted:

i think if you wanna throw down about mask wearing or talk about endemic vs pandemic, it's probably best to go post in the actual covid thread instead: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3966953
(but also, please don't do that)

i think this thread is meant to be about all the knock-on effects of the pandemic and the collective response that aren't related to the disease itself or the millions of deaths
Iirc he’s threadbanned from that thread for posting the same fact-free bullshit, which is why he’s bringing it here.

Ape Fist posted:

Not making GBS threads on people who actually need them tbh.
You literally are

Ape Fist posted:

I think if you're still obsessively wearing them now after its clearly endemic then you're the lunatic.
Not to mention you have absolutely zero idea what some rando at the grocery store is dealing with.