Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved

Bad Purchase posted:

i think it also fixed some brains

a ton of restaurants and stores reduced their hours and they haven't gone back. i'm in the suburbs, and even though it sucks for me as a night owl that nothing is open past 9 pm here (even the former 24 hour walmart closes at 11 now), i can't imagine it was ever worth it for stuff to be open that late. probably better for the employees as well, though i'm sure there are some who liked the late nights and miss it.

To be fair, Walmart ending 24 hour operation was being talked about before COVID, it just provided cover for them to roll it out faster. Kroger had already ended their 24 hours at the majority of stores, leaving one or two 24 hour stores in each city, and that done by about 2018.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
If we as a society decide that the speed limit is not high enough, we should get together and fix it. This whole system of "just go with the flow" or "10/15/20 over is fine" is just stupid. My state codified the stupid and it's illegal to go slower than somebody else in the left lane. A guy got two tickets on a single stretch of I 70, one for obstructing traffic and one for speeding, both for going the same speed. gently caress that poo poo. Just raise the limit or go to some Autobahn style poo poo where the limits are conditional.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
Gas stations are the most miserable places on the planet, and then finally somebody decided to cheer them up by blasting commercials from the pump at mad volume.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved

Bad Purchase posted:

the crosswalks at the 4 way intersection just south of my neighborhood tell pedestrians to walk at the exact same time cars turning left or right into the crosswalk get a green light. it's wild and i've seen so many cars start a right turn the moment the light turns green just as a pedestrian takes their first step into the crosswalk.

only a matter of time before someone gets flattened by a 2 ton truck or suv with no visibility

Indianapolis tried to ban right turn on red in a single square mile area of downtown for pedestrian safety, and the state legislature was so offended they immediately passed a law saying cities couldn't enact such bans.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
Are there any safeguards against using something like a mattress inflator to blow into it?

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
It's amazing how many completely independent problems would immediately be solved with proper public transit and the accompanying city design

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved

naem posted:

I just randomly came across the exact video you mentioned, here’s a fun review of tiny japanese student apartments: https://youtu.be/M33uqNdKQFo

he mentions the angry threats viewers make to him, reacting to the idea people could live with less i guess??

I love tiny apartments like this. Actually trying to get a zoning variance to build a couple slightly larger ones, but they're really not wanting to allow it because of parking minimums. I live in a high demand area a block away from a BRT line and they'd be perfect for a bunch of types of people. If I were to get them built, I'd probably have to build them as a two story structure with a garage under them, which would more than double the cost, and therefore more than double the rent I would have to charge. At that price, it would really only make sense to make them AirBNB rentals, and gently caress that. Oh well, guess I'll just continue not being a tiny apartment landlord.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved

Mistle posted:

Meat will never cost $25/lb. Not when there's more guns than people and those guns-having people would rather not ask.

Also the rampant deer/hog populations, but even that would put the worst cuts near $20.

We eat something like 35 million cows a year. There's coincidentally an estimated 35 million deer in the US. A deer weighs like 1/10th as much as a cow. With those numbers, there's not enough deer to put a dent in meat prices for even a year even if you hunt them to extinction. Adding 10 million wild boars to the number doesn't really change things.

Also, when I read your first sentence I thought you meant the people with guns were going to start hunting people for some reason. That'd probably work for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
Four out of five senses is 80%. That's still a passing grade.