Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Ars Arcanum posted:

It helped break my brain.

I left my toxic academia job to work retail again and go to grad school (again) to become a counselor/therapist. If Covid hadn’t happened, I’d probably have graduated and been licensed by now. But the way people behaved in the midst of it (particularly before vaccines and effective treatments) made me decide I’d rather help society by directing them to the pickle aisle rather than trying to help them with their mental health.

It might sound paradoxical, but I’d rather work in an environment where I just help people find stuff they want to buy instead of trying to help them work on their minds (which utterly loving shattered).

Call me selfish or a sell-out or whatever, but I need my sanity intact.

Honestly, when my psychiatrist friend has mentioned patients (not identifying information and not much beyond things that have frustrated her), I’m glad I didn’t go into psychology. Cause people that I consider monstrous deserve to try to be less monstrous and I can’t imagine being able to separate my reactions from thinking about their victims.

Not that that was an option. I don’t have a degree, but I was young and trying to figure out what I wanted to do at one time. Now I’m old and think I know what I want to do but can’t figure out how to do so.

My brain is still broken from Covid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Jelly posted:

I have/had this friend as well. There were definitely signs but nothing crazy until Trump was elected. He briefly pretended to fence ride, then he moved to Florida. Constantly started posting about how stupid people who wore masks were and started doing petty poo poo like parading around in a witch doctor mask. I eventually unfriended him after a friend pointed out some super crazy racist poo poo he said on some page I didn't follow. I wonder how he's doing now.

I've been looking at those onewheel things for a good long time and I'm pretty sure the only reason I haven't got one is because he did and he's a moron.

A unicycle?

Oh! One of the single wheel skateboards. I think I saw someone riding theirs to the gas station last night. He was wearing a helmet, which is smart. Also, the board has very bright lights, which is also smart.

Bored fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jul 18, 2023