Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

My opinion of many of my fellow Americans has not recovered.

On the plus side, I love wearing masks. I'm gonna keep wearing it when I'm in certain public places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I'm a little less consistent than I was, but I'm doing the same. Partly for protection, partly to show solidarity with other people wearing masks who might have more serious health concerns than me, and partly because, no poo poo, it gives me a chance to accessorize. I have 4 different colors of the same mask that use the same filter inserts and I change them up to match what I'm wearing. :sparkles:

Nice. I should do that too, but then I remember I have no fashion sense whatsoever.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

One of the odd things I've noticed is people drive faster now than pre-covid.

I religiously use cruise control and I used to set it 7MPH above the posted speed limit, which back then would make me generally one of the fast vehicles.

But now that's too slow and tons of people pass me. So I've upped it to 10 over.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Bad Purchase posted:

low tire pressure

My tire pressure is good, thank you.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

Even in NYC, open hours have generally gotten a lot shorter, and it absolutely sucks. I want to be able to go run errands or get takeout at 9, 10, 11 if I want. That’s supposed to be one of the benefits of living in the city, you know, the one that never sleeps, instead of the suburbs. Now places close at 7 or 8 and it blows

NYC sleeps now???

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

doctorfrog posted:

I do 9 over. After the ten plusses roar by, I'm still faster than the slowpokes and usually have the road to myself for a good amount of time. Both fast drivers and slow drivers tend to drive in clumps.

Indeed my friend. I have a saying about that very phenomena:

Maximize the gaps, blast the packs

(IE moderate your speed to increase those times you are in the void; when you come upon a pack try your best to get through it ASAP)

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I didn't take Covid seriously at all until the NBA went and shut down. And I wasn't even a big NBA fan then, but that was the sign for me this poo poo was serious. I immediately drove to a big grocery store and bought so much.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I was incredibly blessed. All my jobs went remote, everyone was accommodating. I did so much drugs and alcohol and got paid the same, it was amazing, like I was for the first time freed from all that work.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I am/was incredibly blessed, I could drink/do drugs/my job too.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

super sweet best pal posted:

We really should've mass reported those idiots to the SEC back in the day.

I blame Reagan.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Brother Tadger posted:

Thank god for liquor stores during the early days of the pandemic; they were the only places I could find toilet paper for sale for at least a few weeks (and finally bought a bidet attachment as a result)

Man it was so surreal walking the empty aisles of the grocery store, knowing you didn't need TP and yet.....

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

That first time I went to the supermarket after poo poo went down -- there was an occupancy limit, so even though I went at 9 AM on a Wednesday I had to wait in a line outside (6 foot apart).

And then the grocery store had direction arrows in the aisles. Which I fully agreed with and got pissed any time anyone went against them.

Then coming home and washing all my groceries, my clothes, me. Just hosing off everything.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Poohs Packin posted:

I feel like covid happening in the trump era was a double whammy where nobody was able to think critically. It almost became uncouth to say "I don't know what this is or how to act" even though that's how the vast majority were likely feeling.

There's this overwhelming pressure to have a stance (pro or anti vax/lockdown) so people can figure out who's camp you're in.

I wonder what the actual number of people who died because he was President for Covid. It's significant, I assume.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Awkward Davies posted:

My wife was diagnosed with breast cancer in Feb 2021. She got her vaccine before the general populace, shortly before she started chemo. Covid was heightened for us because she was immunocompromised. She had six rounds of chemo, and then a double mastectomy and reconstruction in September of 2021. Post surgery she’s had no evidence of cancer.

It’s been a real mind gently caress to slowly emerge from the emergency cancer mindset, while also emerging from the emergency Covid mindset. My therapist and I talk about it a lot. I really feel it requires a lot of thinking and processing. I’m weirdly lucky to have a therapist and to be thinking about it.

The therapy really highlights for me how I don’t feel like our larger society is dealing with it though. We’re all just…ignoring it? Pretending there’s nothing to process? It’s bad.

Congrats to your family for making it through that.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Sound off if you are still in the No Covid Crew.

I'm here.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I'm gonna keep wearing a mask at the grocery store and such because I choose to.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

My PCP is a mildly attractive lady and I feel she's become way more sexualized since the Pandemic. I assume that's her, not me, but I could be wrong.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Violet_Sky posted:

Covid made me realize society hated disabled/sick people. Being disabled from birth I always knew the world wasn't made for me but hearing CHUDs bang on about how the disabled should die for "hogging taxpayers dollars" kinda made me unable to trust ableds. Also, hey, CHUDs, if you want me to stop "being a drain on society" then hire me! I got skills and so do many other disabled people!

Also the fact that the same brainless idiots attacked Asians because it would make Covid go away somehow.
My man!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

emSparkly posted:

drat, I must be the smartest person in the world then.

Looking forward to your contributions to Callisto....

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I have got my triple vaccines.

I've tried and gone beyond that

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Dick Fontaine posted:

what the hell is going on here?
/
:dafuq:

Attractive Lady Doctor has become strangely more forward since the Pandemic?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

MEIN RAVEN posted:

From page one, but can confirm that as a mental healthcare professional for 20 years, covid made me want to leave the field. I mean, that and some other poo poo, but covid is a big Ol part of that poo poo…

Yet, you remain in the trenches?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

MEIN RAVEN posted:

I gave notice last week and will be done with all work-related things on August 4th. Leaving something that's been part of your identity for so long isn't easy to do, but I'm doing it, so.........

No doubt. What are you moving on to?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

DangerDongs posted:

You didn't think the Anti-Vax crowd could get any dumber, and maybe they didn't. What they did do for sure was recruit a lot more people.
Remember when the President of the United States said on live television that it was a Democratic hoax? People being forced to stay inside all day just going down the Youtube algorithm rabbit hole made the dumbest people also the loudest and worst people.

Remember when the President of the USA was stealing medical supplies from liberal states, and they had to go surreptitiously to get masks?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

My local convenience stored used the plastic barriers they had to install to share their political opinions, which I had not known beforehand.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Ars Arcanum posted:

Honestly, I don’t know if I’m ever going to unmask. Many of my jobs have been hourly with few or no sick days, and I have an inexplicably lovely immune system. Lessening chances of getting sick rules, and for ages I wished masking would become as socially acceptable as it has been for decades in other places (I’m in the US). A close friend moved to Japan and it made so much sense that if you were sick but had to go out, you were expected to mask up so as not to make others sick or end up sicker yourself.

Since COVID I’ve only caught a virus twice, and both times I ended up with severe sinus infections and ear infections, etc. Before it was socially acceptable to wear a mask, I got sick multiple times a year, missed tons of work, etc.

Also, I haven’t had to bleach the hair on my upper lip in three years, and I ain’t giving that up easily.

NO ONE KNEW WHO I WAS BEFORE I PUT ON THE MASK

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Sentient Data posted:

We are all terminally ill in one way or another, and meritocracy is an impossible fantasy. The world is a gently caress and any chance to unfuck it has been torn away, so just do what you realistically can to bring joy to others in it before the end because any other motivation is just arrogance or pride talking

I love everything about this post.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Platystemon posted:

It would be cool if we had prophylactic antibodies that people who got heart surgeries could get infused for protection for six months.

Tragically, the ones we had we had stopped working on new strains almost a year ago.

Feel free to quote me, I've never got Covid. Or sick at this point, for years!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Everyone (not everyone, but the fast drivers) is driving 80+ in a 70.

I dig it, but it's fast.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Animal-Mother posted:

I've become a worse driver, personally. So... sorry. I'm one of those people.

Worse like slower, or faster?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

STAY RIGHT UNLESS PASSING

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I used to worry local cops would give me a ticket. But no longer....

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Treecko posted:

I'm talking residential streets, not highways.

It's a crowded, public area, be careful.

If you want to go 70 or 100 go ahead. But not next to schools, homes and places people are just trying to walk.

That yield for pedestrian sign might as well not even be there.

I love to speed, but also agree 100% with this.

Speed smart.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

verbal enema posted:

I'm immortal

Do you go out in public?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Animal-Mother posted:

We're going to have the zombie apocalypse but instead of slow or fast zombies, they'll be rear end in a top hat zombies.

I've been preparing. I have a "zombie wall" no zombie will be able to overcome at first.

I want to redefine zombies in the forest....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

zombie movies never got the people right who believed zombies were a government conspiracy. running full tilt at them screaming I KNOW MY RIGHTS.

Now that I've seen a zombie baby birth, I feel complete.