Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Covid got me to quit pushing myself as hard as I could as my health was seriously degrading for a few years before it. When we realized we could still live comfortably off my husband's income, we agreed I needed to rest. Stopping chronic burnout hit me like a wall of bricks. I can barely function without being overwhlemed with fatigue. They say it can take up to 5 years to recover. I'm at 3 now, so we'll see.

I also started unmasking and doing a lot of deep self-reflection, I've had a ton of repressed memories come to the surface, and I realized I barely even knew who I was. I've gotten several diagnoses for mental health conditions in the last 3 years which explain so much of what I've struggled with my whole life and just assumed I was a weirdo and a failure. I'm even on some medications that I clearly needed. It has been an enlightening yet loving exhausting period of my life.

So yeah, I had been pushing myself to be as busy as possible, too busy to feel feelings, too busy to think difficult thoughts. And then I was forced to stop. It's a lot to deal with, but I'm glad I did it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

I got covid last November and it broke my nose. I had smell hallucinations for 6 months. Mostly cigarettes. Not fresh smoke, but that stale old poo poo that seeps out the walls. Last time I noticed it was a few weeks ago.

Curiously, I could temporarily 'pause' it by applying pressure to the tip of my nose. If I took my finger away, the smell came back.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

DickParasite posted:

Covid made me realize there's a 6th stage of grief. Call it the "lol/lmao" stage. It's when you've been at acceptance for a while, but you're surrounded by people still in denial.

e: still haven't got it. N95s save lives

Is that where "Whatever, I'll just sit back and watch the world burn just to prove I was right this whole time" fits in? Because I've been like that with covid and climate change for a while now.

No one's going to listen anyway, so might as well :munch:

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

The air is poison where I live, and it's not due to viruses.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

That was a really weird hill to die on lmao

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Go to Japan during allergy season and tell all the folks in masks they're deranged for not wanting to snot all over strangers

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

I lost my sense of smell and taste for only a couple days, and after that things got a really weird gasoline-mixed-with-cheese-ish flavour to them for a little while. For several months most food smelled rotten too, but only if I wasn't inhaling it up close. I'd open a jar of mustard and it smelled like sour milk, but taking a big whiff right from the jar it was normal.

If anyone is familiar with Hawkins Cheezies, it was really loving weird to not be able to taste them, because they have the strongest flavour of anything I've ever had.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Even before covid, if you're close enough I can feel you breathing on me, back the gently caress off oh my god why are you this close to me

The 6 foot rule was so wonderful.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

I quit my job via email after trying to return to work in July 2020 and realizing they didn't give a gently caress about my safety. I had several chronic illnesses, I got pneumonia in 2017, I got bronchitis every time I caught a cold, and they were mad that I spent my time behind the shields instead of out interacting with customers face to face, who weren't masked because my shop had a completely open side, so customers treated it like it was outdoors.

I did 2 shifts, got lectured about how useless I am before my third shift, spent 3 days sick to my stomach at the thought of going back, and the night before my next shift, I emailed and said "I don't feel safe, I'm not coming back ever."

I worked there for over 6 years, but work conditions were going downhill for a couple years before covid anyway. I was basically looking for an excuse to get the gently caress out.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

I was one of the early adapters of lockdown, I was in Tokyo when it hit there, then was quarantined before the official shutdown when I returned home.

My husband and I pretty much had a 3 week vacation where we spent a week in Japan, then 2 weeks at home with our cats, getting high and ordering delivery fast food or pizza at 3 am. It was a blast.

And then he was deemed an essential worker. The majority of his customer base and coworkers jumped on the anti-mask bandwagon. He managed to avoid catching it even when all of his coworkers did because he did his due diligence.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Remember when Canada gave most people on CERB a $2000 advance but didn't make it clear it was an advance they had to pay back until 2 years later then sent everyone who got it a bill?

Fortunately that didn't happen to me, be abuse when I got laid off, HR wrote the wrong date on my ROE and I had to talk to at least 4 different government employees over the course of 3 months to have it corrected. Which it wasn't. HR just submitted a new one. I now have 2 ROEs for the same job with different file numbers, end dates, and income amounts on record.

When the government was doing their auditing to make sure no one was overpaid or underpaid 2 years later, I kept getting both cheques and bills in the mail because of the double ROEs, and I spent hours on the phone with the government trying to figure out the final amount.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

I know quite a few "crunchy" folks who tend to avoid modern medicine whenever possible because they believe humans are still interconnected enough with nature that modern medicine is always a last resort for them. They're the types that give me advice for my medical problems, but none of their strategies would work for me, because my body is hosed up and weird and it will never be healthy and normal no matter what I do. So I'll take any means of medical help available to manage what I can.

I don't bother to argue with them, I just say "thanks" and move on. They're otherwise genuinely great people I love having around, they just don't understand the reality of life with genetic disorders and chronic incurable illness. In nature, I'd be long dead. I'm the weakling that gets picked off by the wolves. So modern medicine is my friend and I fully support it.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

DicktheCat posted:

You have a genuinely good attitude here. I also have a few chronic things that people have tried to sell me on taking vitamins and stuff. While elderberry pills won't fix my rsi, I guess the take is that they care enough to share what they think is help.

I've noticed a lot of the people that are "crunchy" in my life are usually kinda more wealthy types that can afford to blow lots of money on nonsense pills.

Yeah, I never get the sense that they think I'm an idiot or they're superior, they do genuinely care and want to try and help. And I appreciate that.

It's the people who "well, your body can fix itself if you will it to" or "Big Pharma blah blah blah" that piss me off. Especially since we live in Canada and we don't have privatized health care. Sick people are a burden, not a customer.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Toxic Mental posted:

Why do you hate freedom

I live in a neighbourhood that is effectively already a "15 minute city" type of place, and it loving rules. Everything I need except a hospital and a hardware store is less than a 20 minute walk away, and then those are 15 minutes drive. I had to move away from my neighbourhood for a year, and I hated it. There was nothing but big houses for blocks.

People who believe the moronic conspiracy can shove their soccer mom SUVs up their asses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Tiny apartments are awesome. I like cozy little spaces, loft beds are fun, and they take so little time to clean. I stayed in a micro apartment in Tokyo last time I was there and I didn't want to leave.