Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

I lost a friend down the Twitter doomer rabbit hole.

More E/N than I'd like for GBS, but:

She was always somewhat on edge, but ever since she thought she had got Long Covid (not saying she didn't. I'm just saying that was the third time she thought she had become infected despite no positive test and general symptoms after-the-fact) and kept texting me, "WHAT DO I DOOOOOO?!"

Like I said, she was always on edge since she was a recent immigrant that was having trouble finding stable work and always telling me about her depression/ADHD. She had become primed to constantly believe all of the possible negatives so when I said she should probably talk to her doctor first to see that maybe it was some other kind of infection, or allergies, she immediately told me that they're just going to "gaslight" her.

Long story short, I was starting to study for the final part of my professional education and made that comment about how I'm going to be "so busy, ugh", and she took that to think that I was blowing her off because of her "diagnosis". I didn't realize anything was wrong until a week later because she hadn't responded, but by then I was so tired of this game that I just let her go. That wasn't the first time she had misinterpreted something I had said, and at this point I didn't have the energy.

I checked her Twitter account a couple of months ago, and it's literally nothing but likes and retweets from the doomer set, or tweeting at people about how they're all "plague-carriers" or something.

It's awful, and I wish her the best, but if you're spending more time on Twitter than... well, systemic issues are real, but she refused to do anything about her situation.

Also, the real estate market. I need to move for my job, and poo poo is hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

A good chunk of the right-wing media sphere was like that.

Very early in 2020, Alex Jones had one of his health "experts" declare, "It's over for humanity. There will be only lone survivors."

Once people were taking it seriously in March/April 2020, he went right back to declaring it a hoax and immediately telling his audience about how vaccines that did not yet exist were going to be rolled out to kill a good chunk of the population.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Mistle posted:

Alex Jones was the original inspiration for "conspiracy theory nut on the radio" from Deus Ex, it's kinda his shtick, so I don't know if his brain broke or not over covid.

Sure did draw in the ones that did, though, like flies to poo poo.

Oh, don't get me wrong, Covid didn't break his brain (that we know of). I'm saying this was a pattern in the conspiracy theory set to immediately catastrophize it the way they always do, and then claim it as being nothing once everyone else actually did take it seriously.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Lazyfire posted:

That guy was Mike Adams who is better known as the "Health Ranger." He's basically a living billboard for supplements and quack cures that THEY don't want you to know about. It wasn't surprising that he got all worried about COVID at the start because the things either seen or made up about how China was dealing with the virus (particularly the "welding the doors shut on apartment buildings" thing) was the kind of stuff Adams and Jones think the US government just does to people already. They pivoted hard to the bioweapon myth and lab leak theory once it became apparent that their conservative audience was not going to accept any type of mitigation efforts. Jones even went so far as to blame the Deep State for nearly killing his dad with COVID that Alex likely infected him with during one of his multiple bouts with the virus.

Jones taking ivermectin on air will never not be funny. The guy had already admitted to having had COVID at least twice and claimed the horse paste was a prophylactic as well as a treatment. A few minutes later he claimed that the vaccines were the real killers and they didn't even work as people got COVID despite being vaccinated. No, don't apply that logic to his ivermectin stuff.

Ohh yeah, I remember him infecting his dad with Covid. I think he explicitly blamed Bill Gates on it, too.

Most of my Alex Jones information comes from Knowledge Fight (like hell I'm going to mainline InfoWars directly). I was going backwards through the episodes and I got to about April 2020, and I just had to stop. Like, as bad as the pandemic has been, his bullshit from the first half of 2020 is just too much.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Earwicker posted:

nothing broke his brain, he doesn't actually believe the stupid poo poo on he says on the radio, he's just a scammer.

He believes some of it under a certain context. On top of being a scammer, he's also a propagandist who was raised by Birchers.