Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Bad Purchase posted:

i'm a night person as well, but i don't want to force a bunch of people to work horrible shifts so that i can buy groceries at 2 am

it probably makes sense in a city where there's a critical mass of people to make it worthwhile for a subset of businesses to remain open, especially if people work those shifts voluntarily because that's their preferred schedule.

I remember early in the pandemic during shutdowns NYC learned they had to keep a few liquor stores open or people with severe alcohol addictions would have gone into DTs when hospitals absolutely did not have capacity to deal with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

super sweet best pal posted:

Night shift at walmart was far from the worst job I ever worked.

When I worked retail I liked the early shifts like starting at 6am, nice to leave early afternoon and have rest of day to myself and customers shopping early seemed nicer. I did not care for the 4pm to 11pm Friday/Saturday shifts especially hauling carts in the dark.

redshirt posted:

I was incredibly blessed. All my jobs went remote, everyone was accommodating. I did so much drugs and alcohol and got paid the same, it was amazing, like I was for the first time freed from all that work.

When working remote have not touched alcohol while on the clock, it’s rare but if suddenly get called into zoom meeting to help management I’m not clever enough to think I could fake being sober & that would get me on unwanted radar real quick.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Extra Large Marge posted:

It's a combination of COVID and social media, but some relationships in my extended family cratered. Slight grudges turned into outright feuds. It's crazy listening to a 70-year-old bring up a grievance she has with her older sister from high school (and vis-versa).

I talked to one of my co-workers about this, and he's in the same situation. When we visit family, we can't be photographed, or else the feuding family members will see the pictures on Facebook, and start yelling at us about arguments that occurred before we were born.

Odd going from celebrating large extended family holidays, to nothing, then suddenly to "if you talk to your aunts or cousins again I'll be very upset!". What the hell happened?

I have younger children right now, and suddenly my boomer parents, aunts, and uncles have become another set of children. Social Media breeds nothing but resentment.

Ugh that stuff is no fun to deal with, especially when people start getting weirdly secretive. “Oh you can’t go by grandma’s to pick up that rug on this day, because so and so is there! Just make the 100 mile trip on a weekday instead.” But… I barely know that cousin?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

All You Can Eat posted:

I really feel for those young adults who missed out on most of their high school years.

Oh yeah that was terrible & we’re gonna be feeling the fallout for a while. Was reading article about a high school principal struggling to accommodate students who had pretty much lived online for two years backed into a structured environment.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Animal-Mother posted:

I still distinctly remember the moment in April of 2020 when one of the managers rounded up all the student workers and told them "No one is going to lose their job." They all lost their jobs. But the entire student body was ordered off campus and sent home to Zoom University, so it's not like they could keep working even if they wanted to….

That was a good read thank you for sharing. Could you bring books to work when nothing was happening? Seems like an idea kindle situation especially if the university wifi was available.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Ariza posted:

We will soon enough. I don't know what the alternative could be. Trying to tell a certain segment of the population that big trucks are killing pedestrians so we need to put limitations on them will only make them buy bigger and bigger trucks when some chud says it's woke.

I stopped letting my daughter cross the major intersection by our house because we live in the Midwest and people keep getting killed crossing the street.

Luckily, the banks and health care companies are buying up all the property so there's nothing worth risking it anymore.

It was odd growing up in Seattle area where drivers aren’t quite perfect, but there seemed to be deference to pedestrians especially at crosswalks. Still have to be careful of course but felt like good number of drivers were cautious.

Wildly different situation when visiting Edinburgh, drivers do not stop at crosswalks even when there are groups of pedestrians clearly waiting to cross. Our guide didn’t have any hacks or secret know how, just explained it was awful and to not cross until totally clear and even then hurry. First and hopefully last time I’ve seen a recent pedestrian traffic fatality in the road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Cowslips Warren posted:

this. and he would have probably won re-election easily.

all someone had to do to Trump was show him the money. Make Trump masks, make it a law you need to wear masks and get a Trump vaccine, show that you are American and not afraid of CHIIINA.

The money and votes would have rolled in.

100%, if he’d worn a mask & instructed his staff to do the same & sent them out by mail & at press conferences done nothing but introduce health experts then sit down & nod behind them, & assured us the vaccine was safe then gotten it on tv, he’d not only have won reelection but might have gotten the popular vote.

Could have framed himself with the narrative of steady leadership through the crisis & it would have blunted democrat attack lines. I mean I know he’d still do idiotic stuff in his campaign but a consistent message of “led us through plague” would be rough to counter.