Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
My wife was diagnosed with breast cancer in Feb 2021. She got her vaccine before the general populace, shortly before she started chemo. Covid was heightened for us because she was immunocompromised. She had six rounds of chemo, and then a double mastectomy and reconstruction in September of 2021. Post surgery she’s had no evidence of cancer.

It’s been a real mind gently caress to slowly emerge from the emergency cancer mindset, while also emerging from the emergency Covid mindset. My therapist and I talk about it a lot. I really feel it requires a lot of thinking and processing. I’m weirdly lucky to have a therapist and to be thinking about it.

The therapy really highlights for me how I don’t feel like our larger society is dealing with it though. We’re all just…ignoring it? Pretending there’s nothing to process? It’s bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

redshirt posted:

Congrats to your family for making it through that.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I’m convinced it’s partially a reaction to people feeling out of control of their lives. There was a big phenomenon that forcibly changed the entire world in an extremely short amount of time. People are trying to exert any control they can.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Ape Fist posted:

I think if you refused to wear masks because "The Government" during the height you were a lunatic. I think if you're still obsessively wearing them now after its clearly endemic then you're the lunatic.

Indeed, attempting to over throw the government and wearing something on my face to protect myself are the same thing.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Ape Fist posted:

I'm not going to poo poo down your throat and start a stupid GBS fight with you about the choice you're making but if you're a healthy adult with no significant co-morbidities you do not need to mask and I don't think I'm a stupid loving dipshit for saying that. The variant of COVID that's currently making the rounds has adapted enough to co-exist with humans without killing them (which is its entire evolutionary drive). My double-lung-transplanted Mother in Law can handle a dose of COVID (and did around february), so why can't you? What do you gain out of this other than A) being a punk who can't handle a flu?, or is it B) The absolute confident authority that you are right when everyone else is wrong?

Sorry not sorry to call you out like this.

I mean, Covid sucks. I’ve had it, it didn’t kill me, but I certainly wouldn’t want it again. If someone wants to continue to take steps to protect themselves I don’t see how that’s any of my business, or requires any of my emotional energy to react to. If I see someone wearing a mask I assume they have a reason for it, and move on. If anything a person wearing a mask makes ME safer, and I appreciate their effort.