Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

Bad Purchase posted:

i'm a night person as well, but i don't want to force a bunch of people to work horrible shifts so that i can buy groceries at 2 am

it probably makes sense in a city where there's a critical mass of people to make it worthwhile for a subset of businesses to remain open, especially if people work those shifts voluntarily because that's their preferred schedule. i don't think the suburbs can support that kind of thing in a way that's good for the employees though. just a guess, i'm not a retail manager and don't know how common it is for people to like those shifts.

kinda the same opinion about stores being open on holidays. i mean, yeah, it's convenient for me because i don't have to plan ahead or can go out to restaurants with friends while i'm personally off work. however, i think it would be nice if everyone got the day off and we just accepted it's ok for retail spaces to close for a full day sometimes.

it's not even about full 24 hour service

anyone who works day shift gets to go on their weekend or during hellhour now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

Awkward Davies posted:

I’m convinced it’s partially a reaction to people feeling out of control of their lives. There was a big phenomenon that forcibly changed the entire world in an extremely short amount of time. People are trying to exert any control they can.

One of the crazies here: I think there's something to this, but the 2nd order effects made winners and losers. For me, it will be over if I ever regain the purchasing power lost to inflation, and not one moment sooner.