Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Bad Purchase posted:

graphics cards and game consoles weren't inflated because people saw them as crypto-like collectibles

graphics cards were bought faster than they could be manufactured specifically to mine crypto, and there was a chip shortage that prevented the GPU and console manufacturers from scaling up production. it was a simple supply/demand problem.

Iirc graphics cards specifically was mostly a scalper issue. There was an article around that time that compared the drop of new graphics cards and new crypto farms popping up and it concluded they weren't really related. GPUs were just a very hot ticket item like new consoles that people were really desperate to buy but supply was limited because of all the supply chain issues, and scalper bots were basically unstoppable.

veni veni veni posted:

I think it's more the collectables market in general. Crypto basically taught people that you can turn anything into currency which caused hyper inflation of a bunch of old junk that wasn't worth much a few years ago. Even new junk. Game consoles and graphics cards were practically currency for a while there.

The retro games market does seem weirdly calculated though, like some big scam/collaborative effort to artificially bump prices into the stratosphere. It's both gross and fascinating and I hope someone does a good writeup or video on it. Or if one exists, someone point me in that direction.

There deffo are some blatant 'this is straight up money laundering' sales in the retro game market, but a lot of it is just that there were a lot of people getting into the hobby because of WFH. The same thing happened pretty bad in film cameras too, with lots of models that were hyped by the YouTube influencers seeing as much as a 3x price increase compared to just a year or two prior.

I know LGR (popular retro tech/gaming youtuber) has talked in the past about seeing a huge influx of subscribers once Covid hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU