Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Bad Purchase posted:

i think it also fixed some brains

a ton of restaurants and stores reduced their hours and they haven't gone back. i'm in the suburbs, and even though it sucks for me as a night owl that nothing is open past 9 pm here (even the former 24 hour walmart closes at 11 now), i can't imagine it was ever worth it for stuff to be open that late. probably better for the employees as well, though i'm sure there are some who liked the late nights and miss it.

You are now my enemy.

I work weird hours, and have a circadian rhythm disorder that makes me kind of nocturnal, and the foreshortening of hours is actually a big deal for me. Even just having my nearest grocery stores close at 11pm instead of midnight is burdensome. And having pharmacy hours absolutely slashed makes it hard for me to find time to pick up my medications, particularly since shorter hours means longer lines.

My town has always had restaurants close stupidly early, and it had slowly been getting a little better before the pandemic, but now it's rolled back to where it was before, to the point a lot of restaurants have taped earlier closing hours over what was painted on their doors. The attitude has always seemed like, "Why would anyone have dinner after the sun has gone down? That makes no sense!"

Not everyone is on the 9-5 schedule that this morning-biased culture assumes is desirable, and the pandemic hosed up any progress we'd made toward accommodating different schedules.

Thank you for coming to my TED talk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

redshirt posted:

My opinion of many of my fellow Americans has not recovered.

On the plus side, I love wearing masks. I'm gonna keep wearing it when I'm in certain public places.

I'm a little less consistent than I was, but I'm doing the same. Partly for protection, partly to show solidarity with other people wearing masks who might have more serious health concerns than me, and partly because, no poo poo, it gives me a chance to accessorize. I have 4 different colors of the same mask that use the same filter inserts and I change them up to match what I'm wearing. :sparkles:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

UKJeff posted:

Maybe all the vampires itt could band up and open a night shift store for each other so that normal humans don’t have to sacrifice their health and well-being for a bunch a goons that stay up late playing video games

:thunk:

Or maybe society could recognize there are more chronotypes than just goddamn morning people.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

ishikabibble posted:

Iirc graphics cards specifically was mostly a scalper issue. There was an article around that time that compared the drop of new graphics cards and new crypto farms popping up and it concluded they weren't really related. GPUs were just a very hot ticket item like new consoles that people were really desperate to buy but supply was limited because of all the supply chain issues, and scalper bots were basically unstoppable.

Crypto definitely had an impact, but it really was a confluence of events that made it a crazy market. Supply went down, demand went up, and scalpers had a field day. I have been a regular in the GPU megathread in SH/SC for years, and that thread is kind of a living document of how the market for videocards went nuts and still hasn't really normalized.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Around here if there is anything that has gotten worse is people driving too slow, like significantly under the speed limit for no apparent reason. I see aggressive and fast driving sometimes, but slow, inattentive, and bizarre seem more common in town. I'm not sure if it has really gotten worse over the pandemic, but on the freeway the most common bad driving I see is what appears to be a complete disregard for proper following distance. People are leaving roughly the same space at 75 mph that they do at 30 mph, and it is just mind-boggling. Like I said, I'm not sure that particular thing has actually gotten worse over the pandemic because I was already pissed off about it before 2020.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Toxic Mental posted:

I see people saying this on our local subreddit too but I feel like I almost never experience it. I think usually I tend to give slower drivers a pass for at least being careful or safer though? I dunno, that doesn't bug me much, I usually just go "uh hello?" and go around. There's no law against going under the speed limit, but I feel like 5-10mph is "standard" for some people.

The slow thing I am talking about is mostly in town. Like, people going 25 on a road with a 35 mph posted speed where 40 is totally reasonable and normal. It's called a Parkway, goddamn it.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Cugel the Clever posted:

The number of Americans murdered by drivers spiked with covid. Driving just brings it a lot of wildly sociopathic behavior and the car is a very capable weapon.

Ban cars; install speed limiters to cap at 25 in cities and 60 on highways.

I've done some very light research into this, and it looks like one reason US pedestrian deaths is higher than than in other countries is because fuckoff huge vehicles have become way more common.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2022/03/17/suvs-pickups-pedestrian-fatalities-rise/7075333001/
https://www.axios.com/2023/06/23/pedestrian-deaths-cars-suvs-roads-unsafe

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

This article is from Bloomberg, and is a bit eclectic, but it touches on a lot of the issues. Gaming EPA fuel economy standards by designating vehicles as "light trucks" is something kind of touched on in the article but I have seen more fully described elsewhere.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-03-11/the-dangerous-rise-of-the-supersized-pickup-truck

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Edmund Sparkler posted:

The more I think about it, the more I think that ignition interlocks should be required safety equipment on all vehicles. They can be defeated but I think overall, they would save a lot of lives just like seatbelts and airbags do. That and planning city development to include robust public transportation and cutting back on sprawl.

But in the end, it will never happen because :capitalism:.

One problem is that some things can trigger a false alarm, like refilling the windshield wiper fluid. Or even using wiper fluid under the wrong conditions. Since wiper fluid contains a lot of methanol it's possible for that to make the interlock register a false positive, and what mechanism could you set up so it could be disabled short of calling the cops to do a sobriety check or something?

Bad Purchase posted:

the crosswalks at the 4 way intersection just south of my neighborhood tell pedestrians to walk at the exact same time cars turning left or right into the crosswalk get a green light. it's wild and i've seen so many cars start a right turn the moment the light turns green just as a pedestrian takes their first step into the crosswalk.

only a matter of time before someone gets flattened by a 2 ton truck or suv with no visibility

Around here there are some intersections where the walk signals have been decoupled from the green lights, so if you don't push the pedestrian walk button the walk signal will not turn on. This sets up confusing situations where pedestrians see the light turn green and start walking, while drivers in the intersection see a green and can see the DON'T WALK sign lit in the crosswalk. There is no signage to indicate this is the fact, and as far as I'm aware there wasn't a PSA campaign about it or anything. It's weird, and while it makes a certain amount of sense it's dangerous as hell if people don't know that is the expected behavior.

Strategic Tea posted:

Can you not uh... fit a plate reader to the light and fine any vehicle that runs a red?

I've seen red light cameras trigger inappropriately way more often than appropriately, and they are usually run by outside companies (often from outside the country) who make all the revenue, with little or none going to the local municpality.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I lost my sense of smell entirely for several years due to a severe head injury, and I can confirm that it wasn't that bad to deal with. It eventually came back, although it will probably never be as sharp as it was before the skull fractures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

JnnyThndrs posted:

I had oropharyngeal (back of the tongue) cancer last year and the heavy-duty chemo combined with 36 rounds of targeted radiation destroyed most of my sense of taste - I can’t taste anything sweet at all, can’t taste ground meat of any kind(but steak is still tasty), and a bunch of other stuff is tasteless.

I get a little sad occasionally when I think about never biting into a tasty juicy hamburger or drinking a chocolate milkshake, but considering the alternative was a painful death by suffocation, I’m ok with it. Plus I lost about 60lbs(which I needed to lose) and it’s easy to keep it off when junk food and fast food isn’t an option.

Was terrified of getting Covid during the period when my immune system was complete dogshit, especially since most of my co-workers were anti-maskers, but I was lucky and didn’t get it until a couple months ago. It only lasted a couple days, probably because I was vaxxed and boosted. They asked me at the doctor’s ‘Is your sense of taste affected?’ and I’m all ‘I really have no idea’.😁

I'm sorry you have to deal with that. I briefly lost my sense of taste following the same head injury that wiped out my sense of smell, and of the two it was the worse to lose.

I don't mean to be excessively optimistic, but I will say that according to the research I delved into that due to how long my sense of smell was gone it was statistically improbable it would come back, but it did. I had complete anosmia for like 3 or 4 years, then severe hyposmia for a few more years, and now I would guess I would hover between mild hyposmia and relatively normal sense of smell.