Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I think a lot of assumptions about the nature of society got tested and we all learnt a little personal lesson

Some of the people who were/are vehemently anti mask learnt where they stand on a lot of issues. The speed at which change was implemented in several areas(gov aid, food banks, delivery, schooling, etc) was incredible and angered people who were just left saying "Thank you" but we're shock it could just be done in a week

Everyone had these ideas about how the world worked and had them shattered in a very visceral way.

I definitely came to be more community minded and aid giving, and have a small list of local families I find myself doing jobs for. But at the same time I've definitely found myself more prone to direct action solutions to community problems. A general melange of gov-organised aid will arrive but only 2 minutes from Death's door. But also wanting to improve society somewhat

Jestery fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jul 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

At to be clinical about it

The covid years were some of the most productive of my life

I started tertiary study, bought property, got mad fit on my bike, got engaged and a few other things. From an egoist perspective, covid poo poo was good for me

And it's kinda brain breaking to talk about it in that way, when mass graves were being dug, aye

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

I guess also, covid just ruined my internal scale for death as well

Like 9/11 was 'the thing' that was the emblem of mass death in the western world for me

But then reading that there was 1-3 9/11s happening weekly, and that this was a political issue ruined my head a little

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Bad Purchase posted:

i think if you wanna throw down about mask wearing or talk about endemic vs pandemic, it's probably best to go post in the actual covid thread instead: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3966953
(but also, please don't do that)

i think this thread is meant to be about all the knock-on effects of the pandemic and the collective response that aren't related to the disease itself or the millions of deaths

Yeah Gunna second this

The 2nd, 3rd, 4th order effects are really interesting , but relitigating the ethics of mask wearing and these sorts of grievences is too self demonstrating