Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

That's hosed up and the people in 2021 who were saying "oh it's just a flu" or whatever clearly didn't have anyone close working in healthcare. I hate how politicised and divisive the whole thing became.

I have a friend who would also fly into a rage anytime I mentioned I was living my life or going anywhere and would spam my messages with walls of text.

The thing is, I live in Queensland, Australia, and not the US. He's in the midwest where Im from originally. We had a categorically different experience than the vast majority of the world (even within Australia).

I was certainly cautious, masked up, limited trips, worked from home, etc. But I was still able to get out for groceries once a week and even attend some concerts in a controlled setting. This really irked my friend. Any convo ended up basically as me defending myself, and the dynamic just no longer worked as a long-distance friendship.

The whole thing just felt belittling and very stereotypically American. My wife and I lost a friend to suicide during lockdown, I missed my sisters wedding. We couldn't get home for a few years and it hurt. It didn't really help to be scolded for existing in a locale that managed to get things somewhat right and limit the spread and reach 90% vax rates. We still locked down, and the vast majority of folks did the right thing. Because of that we were able to still go to cafes once in a while.

Im pretty sure he's got me pegged as some libertarian anti-woke rear end in a top hat now, but whatever. I'm happy to be 15000km away from the type of politics that pit friend against friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

I feel like covid happening in the trump era was a double whammy where nobody was able to think critically. It almost became uncouth to say "I don't know what this is or how to act" even though that's how the vast majority were likely feeling.

There's this overwhelming pressure to have a stance (pro or anti vax/lockdown) so people can figure out who's camp you're in.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

And while it's easy to say "gently caress these people", the real tragedy are those that wouldve done the right thing had they not been compelled by lovely politics.

Nobody wants to be the one Guy in a small red town isolating for 2 years while everyone is down at the local slamming $2 miller lite.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Triikan posted:

It's amazing how many completely independent problems would immediately be solved with proper public transit and the accompanying city design

Become an Urban Planner.