Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i think it also fixed some brains

a ton of restaurants and stores reduced their hours and they haven't gone back. i'm in the suburbs, and even though it sucks for me as a night owl that nothing is open past 9 pm here (even the former 24 hour walmart closes at 11 now), i can't imagine it was ever worth it for stuff to be open that late. probably better for the employees as well, though i'm sure there are some who liked the late nights and miss it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I hate that walmart isn't 24 hours. I really enjoyed doing my shopping after 12.

i also miss the convenience, but i think it was crazy of them to stay open and probably hellish for the people who had to work those shifts. i know some people prefer nights, but i bet most who got those didn't.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

the number of hours i spend in meetings at work pretty much doubled

prior to the pandemic, meetings were rarer because you actually had to book a conference room and a bunch of people had to stop what they were doing and walk there, there was a resource constraint and a tangible burden

the remote work boom made zoom (and later teams) meetings normal. there's zero barrier to throwing a teams meeting on the calendar and middle management has found a new life calling.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

redshirt posted:

One of the odd things I've noticed is people drive faster now than pre-covid.

I religiously use cruise control and I used to set it 7MPH above the posted speed limit, which back then would make me generally one of the fast vehicles.

But now that's too slow and tons of people pass me. So I've upped it to 10 over.

low tire pressure

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

UKJeff posted:

Hmm maybe he could try cooking at home? I dunno, just a suggestion

:frogout:

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i'm a night person as well, but i don't want to force a bunch of people to work horrible shifts so that i can buy groceries at 2 am

it probably makes sense in a city where there's a critical mass of people to make it worthwhile for a subset of businesses to remain open, especially if people work those shifts voluntarily because that's their preferred schedule. i don't think the suburbs can support that kind of thing in a way that's good for the employees though. just a guess, i'm not a retail manager and don't know how common it is for people to like those shifts.

kinda the same opinion about stores being open on holidays. i mean, yeah, it's convenient for me because i don't have to plan ahead or can go out to restaurants with friends while i'm personally off work. however, i think it would be nice if everyone got the day off and we just accepted it's ok for retail spaces to close for a full day sometimes.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

veni veni veni posted:

I think it's more the collectables market in general. Crypto basically taught people that you can turn anything into currency which caused hyper inflation of a bunch of old junk that wasn't worth much a few years ago. Even new junk. Game consoles and graphics cards were practically currency for a while there.

graphics cards and game consoles weren't inflated because people saw them as crypto-like collectibles

graphics cards were bought faster than they could be manufactured specifically to mine crypto, and there was a chip shortage that prevented the GPU and console manufacturers from scaling up production. it was a simple supply/demand problem.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Toxic Mental posted:

Covid allowed me to go permanently work from home after just a year since I joined the corporate world after quitting my teaching job. So that ruled. I have no intent to ever work from anywhere other than my home office ever again.

yep, this side effect of the pandemic is pretty great. my company told everyone to get back in the office about 6 months ago, but i told them no, and got reclassified as permanently remote. i can still go in when i absolutely need to since there are a few pieces of lab equipment i might need to touch, but it's been such a tremendous improvement to quality of life, i can't imagine going back. i'd sooner retire and live in poverty for the rest of my life than spend 10 hours per day in an office again.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i got my 3080 because a goon in that thread let me use the evga queue he didn’t need when it was his turn and even gave me his evga login to use so i could make the order, a goddamn hero

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Ape Fist posted:

If you're still obsessively masking up in 2023 you might be derranged.

i don't think everyone i see wearing a mask these days is deranged. in fact, the most deranged people i know irl never wore masks unless absolutely forced.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Ape Fist posted:

I think if you refused to wear masks because "The Government" during the height you were a lunatic. I think if you're still obsessively wearing them now after its clearly endemic then you're the lunatic.

nah, i saw a few at the grocery store yesterday, mostly elderly, wearing masks and i don't think they were deranged or lunatics. i think you've got a weird hangup if you really think that.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i think if you wanna throw down about mask wearing or talk about endemic vs pandemic, it's probably best to go post in the actual covid thread instead: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3966953
(but also, please don't do that)

i think this thread is meant to be about all the knock-on effects of the pandemic and the collective response that aren't related to the disease itself or the millions of deaths

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Ape Fist posted:

Nah you know what I'm not making GBS threads on people who actually are genuinely in vulnerable positions who want to mask up. That's fine and it's actually good for them that it's been normalised and I'm not really making GBS threads on them. I just know one or two people who are actually perfectly healthy adults who are vaxxed up just fine whove decided to internalise the covid trauma and are now just hysterically shouting about it after the primary threat has passed. Its not an insane conspiracy theory to rank COVID as a bad flu after the fact when its become endemic and this is what also happened with the Spanish flu. Viruses when introduced to the population absolutely do reak havoc for the first X years and then eventually become endemic. It's no viruses intention to kill the host, it's their intention to live alongside and spread. Humans and the virus have both evolved to adapt.

i think you should let your friends wear masks and not call them deranged lunatics op, it's not like they are hurting anyone and there is an actual benefit from it even if you don't agree with their personal choice

e: that's not what you said at all originally, but i'm not gonna keep at it. go post in the actual covid thread.
vvv

Bad Purchase fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jul 16, 2023

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

my doctor's office does remote visits now which i like, because usually by the time i'm going to a doctor i already know what's wrong and it's been faster to just have a quick chat and get a prescription than to have to drive in, wait around in the lobby for 20 min, get my vitals checked, wait around another 10 min, and then have the exact same 2 minute convo with the doctor that i could've had at home, then drive all the way home

the drawback is that i'm guessing they're cramming even more daily appointments into doctors' schedules and they have even less time to handle the patients that really do need more time and thought to figure out what's wrong

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

give it a rest

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

N. Senada posted:

Remote dr visits are incredible. If my partner didn’t insist on picking out produce their self, I’d absolutely still be doing grocery pick up.

i can't imagine relying on someone else to pick out produce, i can't lose that lever of control over my own life

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i've heard multiple people say they were able to lose weight because food stopped tasting good, silver lining i guess?

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Cassette Moodcore posted:

I had a friend who was mostly a normal person who went off the rails during covid and now he’s a full blown anti vaxer and it’s wild to see this person who was just a decent dude now is spewing every anti vax, anti gay, qanon conspiracy theory has ostracized himself from everyone. It must be so exhausting to be so hateful 100% of your waking day

if he's anything like my parents, their friends and family mostly cut them off, but waiters.... waiters still have to listen to what you say with a smile on their face. i hear they go out to eat a lot now.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

condiment stations didn’t go away where i am in FL, but we’re also a buncha nasty freaks out here

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

you don't need a natural disaster for that. i live not far from a gas station, and people screaming at each over nothing happens there all the time. on quiet days i can sometimes even hear it from my house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

the crosswalks at the 4 way intersection just south of my neighborhood tell pedestrians to walk at the exact same time cars turning left or right into the crosswalk get a green light. it's wild and i've seen so many cars start a right turn the moment the light turns green just as a pedestrian takes their first step into the crosswalk.

only a matter of time before someone gets flattened by a 2 ton truck or suv with no visibility