Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

mental healthcare. and by that i dont just mean crazy people either, i mean the professionals that are supposed to take care of us crazy people. they're all crazy now too. or just gone.

on the positive side, there's a town in the bay where i grew up that closed off its main street to car traffic and made it a pedestrian only zone so the restaurants could do outdoor seating. its stayed that way ever since and its made a massive improvement in that town. breaking down "car culture"

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jul 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Griz posted:

it's been like that for years. good luck finding a therapist who
- is accepting new patients
- has a waitlist of less than 6 months
- takes your insurance

i found one through my lovely insurance but either he's more depressed than i am or he's an ai or both

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Anne Whateley posted:

Even in NYC, open hours have generally gotten a lot shorter, and it absolutely sucks. I want to be able to go run errands or get takeout at 9, 10, 11 if I want. That’s supposed to be one of the benefits of living in the city, you know, the one that never sleeps, instead of the suburbs. Now places close at 7 or 8 and it blows

yea my brother works in a hospital in NYC, sometimes the 12am-4am shift and sometimes the 8pm-12am shift, and he says NYC is not at all a "24 hour city" anymore and he eats at like the same kebab place every single night because its the only place open all night anywhere nearby

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

UKJeff posted:

Hmm maybe he could try cooking at home? I dunno, just a suggestion

its hard to find a place with a decent or even useable kitchen where he lives. but he's moving to a new place soon that i think has a better kitchen

but also kind of hard to do on a "lunch" break that occurs at like 2am or whatever

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Ape Fist posted:

I think there's a very important distinction between "I'm going to wear a mask because it makes me feel safe and comfortable." and "WHAT THE gently caress DO YOU MEAN YOU'RE NOT WEARING MASKS ANYMORE, YOU'RE KILLING PEOPLE BY NOT WEARING MASKS, YOU'RE SO SOCIALLY IRRESPONSIBLE AND A HUGE PIECE OF poo poo FOR NOT DOING IT OH MY GOD.", and believe me the second category of person still exists and is very real.

i know they exist on twitter or bluesky or whatever but i have never encountered that in real life. and i live in like one of the most stereotypically politically progressive areas of the country

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i was on tour with a podcast/theatre group when covid hit and we started resuming touring in 2022. obviously covid has completely wrecked the live music/events world in many ways. but its been interesting travelling around and seeing the different attitudes in different places.

we usually perform to audiences of about 500-1000 in small to medium theatre/pac type venues though sometimes we end up in more rock club type places because thats whats available. when we first started back on the road in 2022 we required the audience and crew to be masked and to have vaccination cards, but we didn't really enforce very hard. the results were mixed, at first in most of the us everyone would do it no problem but then in parts of the midwest and in the south especially some people refused, in a couple places up to a third of the audience. also, if the venue was more rock club than theatre, the staff would sometimes also refuse. you could really see the political lines re:masking and imo its still hosed up that thats even a thing. also in some states it seemed more visibly a gender thing.

a few tours into that new run, i came in late due to bereavement leave and got covid on my way there and had to hole up in a hotel for a week and a half and then go back home, i'd originally planned to join back up except two shows after i got sick, the tour manager got it from an unmasked stage manager and the rest of that tour was cancelled.

then, in october of 22 we went to europe, and it was like a different world. like in most countries everyone was basically pretending covid had never happened, except in germany where masks were still required on trains (but only half the people did so) and also in the uk you'd still see occasional people in masks on the street. when we first started we were in scandinavia and at first we tried our usual mask policy but the venue people there were just like "oh we dont have covid here" and refused to enforce anything. after a few shows we just kind of gave up and only wore masks if we were on a train or airplane. when we came back to the us, it was kind of the same, masks only in airplanes, and we no longer mention them to the audience at all. its up to them, with the result being that usually 10-30% of a given audience is masked, as of our last run back in may of this year.

but the lasting damage of course is that a ton of venues closed and that touring is a lot riskier. flying out to the midwest and spending a week and a half holed up in a hotel instead of being on the road making money hosed up my whole year. and i know so many other people that happened to, so many tours that got cancelled etc. it was and still is a mess.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jul 18, 2023

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i live directly above a freeway in LA and it was really surreal the couple of months when it was close to empty. never got there all the way. but sometimes i'd go out and just drive around at night on the empty roads, it was trippy.

and yea people are way worse now with the rage poo poo and the zigzagging. it was always bad in LA but people for sure got way more aggressive once the traffic fully came back

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Mistle posted:

What kind of chill cruisin' music were you listening to driving on those empty roads? (You will be judged by GoonsTM for your choice)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9Ty3YnWN80

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

yeah it affected my hearing as well, which thankfully went away, and gave me brain fog and fatigue which seems to be permanent. but also im getting old and i smoke a lot of weed so, probably that too. but there was a very noticeable difference before and after i got covid.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Zwabu posted:

I could rationalize and almost understand everything that happened in the pandemic right up until a highly protective vaccine was developed that I felt very privileged to be at the front of the line to receive, living in the richest country that could give it to everyone for free, and a substantial portion of the country simply… refused to get it.

i can understand how if you are in medicine and surrounded by medical professionals and work in a specific field (one unrelated to vaccines, i'm assuming) it could seem like a shock, but the groundwork for that was laid for years, the anti-vax movement before covid was somewhat relegated to discussions of autism but it was getting bigger and bigger and jumping from a fringe thing to a wierdo celeb-endorsed thing and starting to rear its head as a more mainstream thing even in some of the 2016 election discourse. covid was an extremely convenient jumping point for the movement because the idea of a "mandate" was being thrown around so frequently especially with regard to certain jobs that have a high percentage of far right employees (i.e. cops). the fact that large gatherings and singing spread the illness faster, meaning that in-person religious events could not safely be held, also gave the anti-vax/anti-mask/anti-safety crowd a lot of sway because it enabled them to use a "government is shutting down our worship" narrative, which is a very specific type of victimhood narrative the far right had been salivating about being able to use for like decades, so they stepped on the gas real hard with that poo poo and now *gestures broadly at the current condition of the us*

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jul 23, 2023

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Mistle posted:

Alex Jones was the original inspiration for "conspiracy theory nut on the radio" from Deus Ex, it's kinda his shtick, so I don't know if his brain broke or not over covid.

nothing broke his brain, he doesn't actually believe the stupid poo poo on he says on the radio, he's just a scammer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Strategic Tea posted:

I think a lot of people did come together to help each other - it's just a bizarre crisis in which helping often meant staying at home where no one can see you.

well they did but like, factionally. i mean the way wearing masks and social distancing was immediately turned into a political/culture war issue was absolutely loving insane