Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

Best friends make the best weapons
It helped break my brain.

I left my toxic academia job to work retail again and go to grad school (again) to become a counselor/therapist. If Covid hadn’t happened, I’d probably have graduated and been licensed by now. But the way people behaved in the midst of it (particularly before vaccines and effective treatments) made me decide I’d rather help society by directing them to the pickle aisle rather than trying to help them with their mental health.

It might sound paradoxical, but I’d rather work in an environment where I just help people find stuff they want to buy instead of trying to help them work on their minds (which utterly loving shattered).

Call me selfish or a sell-out or whatever, but I need my sanity intact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

PA has state-run wine and liquor stores and they closed during the start through the height of COVID. A bunch of people were like “Hey, you’re going to really gently caress up people already dealing with addiction,” and the government was like “there will always be a place at hospitals for addicts,” lol no there loving was NOT.

Cue people lining up at 5 AM outside of grocery stores so they could buy a single half-case of beer or two bottles of wine.

No idea how many people in my state got really messed up from unattended detoxes and whatnot. I’m sure it was awful, but likely got lost under the pandemic clamor.

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

Honestly, I don’t know if I’m ever going to unmask. Many of my jobs have been hourly with few or no sick days, and I have an inexplicably lovely immune system. Lessening chances of getting sick rules, and for ages I wished masking would become as socially acceptable as it has been for decades in other places (I’m in the US). A close friend moved to Japan and it made so much sense that if you were sick but had to go out, you were expected to mask up so as not to make others sick or end up sicker yourself.

Since COVID I’ve only caught a virus twice, and both times I ended up with severe sinus infections and ear infections, etc. Before it was socially acceptable to wear a mask, I got sick multiple times a year, missed tons of work, etc.

Also, I haven’t had to bleach the hair on my upper lip in three years, and I ain’t giving that up easily.