Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Bad Purchase posted:

the number of hours i spend in meetings at work pretty much doubled

prior to the pandemic, meetings were rarer because you actually had to book a conference room and a bunch of people had to stop what they were doing and walk there, there was a resource constraint and a tangible burden

the remote work boom made zoom (and later teams) meetings normal. there's zero barrier to throwing a teams meeting on the calendar and middle management has found a new life calling.

And the worst best part is, this was all "impossible and onerous" for disabled and behaviorally antisocial people prior to the pandemic, but now it's standard, so there's no loving excuse, and yet there's an excuse in some places.

Bad Purchase posted:

i also miss the convenience, but i think it was crazy of them to stay open and probably hellish for the people who had to work those shifts. i know some people prefer nights, but i bet most who got those didn't.

Everyone had the perfect opportunity to capitalize on the overnight hours for overnight businesses catering to overnight clientele, but it didn't materialize when everything opened back up, and that's an honest disappointment.

You don't need a whole walmart, but like, only the fast food burger places are 24 hours? Some people want to relax in a cafe and it's loving "the roadkill is literally being slowcooked" hot outside this summer.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

:thunk:

Or maybe society could recognize there are more chronotypes than just goddamn morning people.

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Ape Fist posted:

If you're still obsessively masking up in 2023 you might be derranged.

People realized that medical masks stop both lovely common illnesses that they'll end up having to work through, and also allergy poo poo, and that absolute revelation has changed them into mask-wearers and it's actually good, OP

FlocksOfMice posted:

nah gently caress you, I don't wanna get sick, and no one in public is entitled to see my face, what does it matter to you?

Also this. Not having to fake smile and obsess over cosmetics to be a "people-pleasing face-to-face customer service" type is an extremely zoomer thing that is great and some people aren't going back ever.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Earwicker posted:

i live directly above a freeway in LA and it was really surreal the couple of months when it was close to empty. never got there all the way. but sometimes i'd go out and just drive around at night on the empty roads, it was trippy.

and yea people are way worse now with the rage poo poo and the zigzagging. it was always bad in LA but people for sure got way more aggressive once the traffic fully came back

What kind of chill cruisin' music were you listening to driving on those empty roads? (You will be judged by GoonsTM for your choice)

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Around me people driving too slow has become a huge problem, another thing I swear wasn't anywhere near this bad 5 or so years ago. Driving slow is not always safer. On highways, the safest thing to do is flow with traffic around you. In most cases, if everyone else is going faster than you, then you are the one being unsafe.

Then way too often these days people go slow enough through stop lights that not nearly enough cars get through that should be able to, and other similar situations. I know, "that's just city driving", but it's another thing that seems to have gotten significantly worse post-covid and I wish I knew why.

Phone addiction has hamstrung people's attention and they go all jangle keys distracted while waiting for a green light.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I've done some very light research into this, and it looks like one reason US pedestrian deaths is higher than than in other countries is because fuckoff huge vehicles have become way more common.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2022/03/17/suvs-pickups-pedestrian-fatalities-rise/7075333001/
https://www.axios.com/2023/06/23/pedestrian-deaths-cars-suvs-roads-unsafe

Another solid reason is that the U.S. will shamelessly put pedestrian sidewalks and bike lanes next to motor vehicle roadways with basically nothing between them, so you're one good swerve from ending up mangled. And that's just where it's actually an accident and not on purpose because you're "too woke".

Nothing like getting your brain broke with a serious public conflict occurring so you can project your broken thinkybits on people you arbitrarily judged based on initial appearances.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

MEIN RAVEN posted:

Yeah, that's the takeaway my friend and I both got from Covid. Like, there was a great come-together moment for all of....1 month? Than poo poo got real nasty real fast. Just wait until people have to fight over water. Or when tomatoes cost $15/lb. Or when meat is $25/lb. I'm not at all looking forward to the rapid deterioration of our stupid, fragile society.

Meat will never cost $25/lb. Not when there's more guns than people and those guns-having people would rather not ask.

Also the rampant deer/hog populations, but even that would put the worst cuts near $20.

Sierra Nevadan posted:

Yea, they really suck. I used hand sanitizer after filling up my gas tank when I first got the interlock. There goes $80.

I wasn't even charged with a DUI, but that was my punishment for sleeping in my car while intoxicated.

That sucks and I'm sorry to hear it.

Police will absolutely ream you through the wringer if you're in the cab with a key to the car--intending to drive or not. I've heard quite a few stories of military types smashing the rear passenger corner window and using a wire hanger to get their keys out the ignition from outside their cars to avoid the cops who are right there watching the whole thing go down.

Two creative solutions I've heard are rolling the car onto your key and parking on it, and putting your key in the gas hatch, neither of which are considered "in the cab." Putting it in the trunk is iffy, but a reasonable alternative if you don't allow a search.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Triikan posted:

Also, when I read your first sentence I thought you meant the people with guns were going to start hunting people for some reason. That'd probably work for a while.

That was purposefully implied. As an American, I wouldn't put it past other Americans.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

mojo1701a posted:

A good chunk of the right-wing media sphere was like that.

Very early in 2020, Alex Jones had one of his health "experts" declare, "It's over for humanity. There will be only lone survivors."

Once people were taking it seriously in March/April 2020, he went right back to declaring it a hoax and immediately telling his audience about how vaccines that did not yet exist were going to be rolled out to kill a good chunk of the population.

Alex Jones was the original inspiration for "conspiracy theory nut on the radio" from Deus Ex, it's kinda his shtick, so I don't know if his brain broke or not over covid.

Sure did draw in the ones that did, though, like flies to poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Disco Godfather posted:

Last week I found out two of my cousins (brothers) still haven't spoken to each other since December 2021 when they both got covid after going to a football game and had to miss Christmas. Apparently one still blames the other for inviting him. Their parents have been doing two separate events for every holiday and birthday so they can see all their grandkids.

If you really wanna stir the poo poo, ask which one is the first of the two events, because it would be a hell of a thing if the blaming brother caught covid from the blamed brother through shared family visitation because they visited second. :lol: