Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Set
Oct 30, 2005
Portraits? Character studies? Wasn't sure what to call them, but I like doing dumb little drawing of various characters from popular media and interesting looking people. I've done some as requests over the years for friends, and considering I haven't seen a classic mspaint thread here in GBS for ages, I thought it would be fun to share some with you guys!

If others want to join in and draw some for yourselves, all the better! If you have any requests of something you think might be fun to draw, you can share those as well! I hope this thread might work as a chill and fun space to share our beautiful works of art, and while the topic says MSPAINT (in big eye-catching letters even) I think all mediums of art are welcome here!

I'll start off with my rendition of a classic Star Wars character: the hero of The Rebellion Nien Nunb! Here pictured in all his rebellious glory, as seen through my artistic eye.

Edit: Here's a link to Grey Cat's great MS Paint tutorial! If you've ever felt curious about drawing with mspaint, but haven't felt you have the chops for it, this is a great starter! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4037485

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Set fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jul 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Set
Oct 30, 2005
I really like drawing random aliens because they have such fun folds and flaps and slimey globs all over their faces. Star Wars aliens are especially good because of this.

Here is the great galactic senator Jar Jar Binks himself! He really exudes silent majesty, and I think I captured that in this drawing.

Set
Oct 30, 2005
I'll post more in a while, but I'll finish of this initial trio with a character I personally see as the high point of The Phantom Menace. This is the "WHAT THE gently caress IS WRONG WITH YOUR FACE"-guy, who most likely has a name and a 10k word long wookiepedia entry, but I refuse to go look for it. Enjoy his face, I know I do.

Henry Lee Mucus
Dec 11, 2003

When u nut and she still suckin

Set
Oct 30, 2005

Henry Lee Mucus posted:

When u nut and she still suckin

Now playing: Nien Inch Nunbs - Starsuckers.mp3

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
It's me MArio!

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Behold! Shai-hulud erupts from the dunes of Arrakis. This particular sandworm is coloured vermilion, which was a mistake, but it's too late to change it now.

Set
Oct 30, 2005

Zeluth posted:

It's me MArio!

I made you a Mario!

Set
Oct 30, 2005

Tree Bucket posted:

Behold! Shai-hulud erupts from the dunes of Arrakis. This particular sandworm is coloured vermilion, which was a mistake, but it's too late to change it now.

It is a fine sandworm! Who said that they can't be vermilion? It is a very good colour! Thank you for sharing! I also really like your usage of shadow and perspective, you really get the picture that this is one huge sandworm.

Set
Oct 30, 2005
I haven't seen the latest Star Wars movie, but I remember this weird slug alien being all over the internet a while back so I had to draw it! Delightfully gross design.

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

I like this

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Convex fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jul 16, 2023

Set
Oct 30, 2005

Sweet Terminator! Was this done using the oil and watercolor brushes in Paint? They look really cool, but I haven't really tested them out myself.

I'll contribute with yet another Star Wars alien! I don't remember if Max Rebo was in the Jizz Wailers, or if that was the alien gray looking dudes? I just remember he was a musician from the original trilogy, and never ever rocked a shirt, and that was enough for me.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Set posted:

Sweet Terminator! Was this done using the oil and watercolor brushes in Paint? They look really cool, but I haven't really tested them out myself.

Yeah, used the watercolour one as I never got on with oil at art class. It looks about as good as my real life art tbh

Set
Oct 30, 2005

Convex posted:

Yeah, used the watercolour one as I never got on with oil at art class. It looks about as good as my real life art tbh

As long as you had fun making it, then it is good art in my book!

I always preferred drawing to water colours, as I always had problems with me getting paint where it wasn't supposed to end up. :v: Never tried oils, but I have friends who work with it and the end results can be so amazing. Blending paints like that is a game changer! The closest to actual real life painting for me is with acrylics on miniatures, but that is a bit more paint-by-the-numbers than on a canvas though.

Set fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jul 16, 2023

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

My time to shine

Set
Oct 30, 2005

Grey Cat posted:

My time to shine

Sweet Rick Astley! I really like your style there, and that is some great usage of light with that limited color pallet! Those lines look so neat, that I guess you are using a tablet, right?

I thought I'd also share here some tips on how I do my drawing, and how I have become better at it over time. I just google up a pic of whatever character I want to draw, and then keep up a smallish pic up to the side of my MS Paint-window. That way I have a constant reference to look at when I need to, and as it is smallish you don't see too many details, giving you the chance to improvise and come up with details yourself! I also mostly start with the outline of the head, and that helps you keep the scale for when you add the rest of the body and details. The more you draw the easier it gets too! Hope someone has some help from these small tips that have helped me!

I'll finish with the last Star Wars alien I've drawn, which is Boss Nass from the Phantom Menace. I guess he was Jar Jar's boss or something? I haven't seen the movie since it premiered. He was fun to draw though!

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Set posted:

Sweet Rick Astley! I really like your style there, and that is some great usage of light with that limited color pallet! Those lines look so neat, that I guess you are using a tablet, right?

Thanks!
No tablet just a mouse. I felt like using my tablet or other software would be unfair or against the spirit of the thread. (even if it was sanctioned)

You've really captured boss nass's chins

Set
Oct 30, 2005

Grey Cat posted:

Thanks!
No tablet just a mouse. I felt like using my tablet or other software would be unfair or against the spirit of the thread. (even if it was sanctioned)

You've really captured boss nass's chins

Thanks! Yeah, those chins are such a big part of why he was so fun to draw! I also somehow managed to get him looking extremely smug, which I personally find delightful.

I just use a mouse as well, because there is something with MS Paint-art that just feels right when done with a mouse. Can't explain it either. :v:

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

These are all fantastic

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Pictures you can hear

SAY YOHO
Oct 5, 2021

Another World staring Arnie!?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Arnold Muskeneggo.

But I agree. That style nails the look of that game

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jul 17, 2023

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Set
Oct 30, 2005

Another sweet Terminator, awesome! I really dig the style as well!

Sweet goblin! And the amount of detail in the second pic is impressive! You really can do alot with MS Paint if you got the patience for it! Also now I want a 'burg.

So I think I exhausted my supply of Star Wars aliens yesterday, so I'll change theme a bit and continue on with various Jokers. I am still trying to figure out how to make a Cesar Romero Joker though, as I really need to get his mustache underneath his clown make-up to pop. I'll try and make one later today! So for now you can enjoy The Worst Joker(tm).

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
If you use the pencil tool instead of the brush, you should be able to avoid all those little white fill bucket artefact dots.
Unless that's the style you're going for!

Set
Oct 30, 2005

Tree Bucket posted:

If you use the pencil tool instead of the brush, you should be able to avoid all those little white fill bucket artefact dots.
Unless that's the style you're going for!

Thanks for the tip! To begin with they were definitely just something I chalked up to "just MS Paint being its lovely self", but I have kinda started to like the artefact dots. :v: They add a certain charming shittyness to the art in my opinion. I'll definitely test out the pencil tool for my Cesar Romero Joker, to test out the difference!

As a thanks, I give you a much better version of the Joker! (As in movie-wise, not necessarily art-wise :v:)

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

An unexpected problem in that episode is the various Bundy family members confessing to the crime in an attempt to escape their problems by going to jail.

Set
Oct 30, 2005

Yes! I love Columbo and that is a great one!

I will also add a very somber Joker to the the mix now. He is a serious Joker.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Grey Cat posted:

My time to shine

this is sweet as gently caress dude

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

op, do you have any portraits YOU wanna see from us

Set
Oct 30, 2005

cumpantry posted:

op, do you have any portraits YOU wanna see from us

Oh, that is a good question! For some reason at this moment in time, I seem to be fixated on the concept of Columbo and the Terminator meeting. Just based on what we've seen here so far I think people could conjure up some amazingly funny scenarios from that! :v: Or then just Columbo doing things without the Terminator even. Columbo is cool. In general, the most important part is for everyone to have a good time making their art!

I also just finished my Cesar Romero Joker, and I did test out the pencil tool like Tree Bucket recommended, and that did indeed make my lines and the fill tool a lot more cooperative! I still prefer the cursor on the paint brush tool, but this is a really good thing to remember for the future. So here, please enjoy a Joker who still wears his mustache underneath his greasepaint.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Karma Comedian posted:

These are all fantastic

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

Not enough FISTO

Set
Oct 30, 2005

Droogie posted:

Not enough FISTO

gently caress yes, I love it! The teeth, the eyes, the facial expression! All of it just perfect. :discourse:

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

Are pen on paper portraits acceptable? I did a whole series of 80s and 90s bands in my sketchbook that are every bit as janky as if they were drawn with a mouse in MSPaint.

Set
Oct 30, 2005

Ralph Hurley posted:

Are pen on paper portraits acceptable? I did a whole series of 80s and 90s bands in my sketchbook that are every bit as janky as if they were drawn with a mouse in MSPaint.

All art is welcome! As long as you had fun making it, and you think others might find them fun then knock yourself out! Personally I want to see your band sketches!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

Ok here goes. It’s a lot, hope I don’t break the thread