Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

a real chump posted:

I wouldn't say China didn't deserve the win but Haiti got VAR'd

I'll say it. They get a Pen off a dive off a defender's booty. Bootyfoul, if you will. Then a clear foul by a Chinese defender in the box gets overVarred.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

mycatscrimes posted:

It feels like refs gave been very quick to call Nigeria, Haiti, and South Africa for fouls in situations where their opponents get away uncalled. I have not seen Zambia play and can't speak for their treatment, and I obviously can't definitively say for sure it's what's happening because I'm not an expert or in the refs' shoes. It just has rough vibes.

Nigeria have always played very physical whenever they qualified. But, this time they seem like the most skilled, and probably best coached (Randy Waldrum's been coaching women at a high level collegiately since the 90's) African side by far, and rightfully the only African side that should advance. Abiodun's card was justifiable, as was the one to the Chinese player, Zhang against Haiti.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

joepinetree posted:

I gotta say, its a lot more fun to watch these freakouts from the outside. All 4 olympic golds and 1 world cup won by the US included at least one game that went to extra time or pks. A bounce goes your way and you're dominant. A bounce goes against you and its time to burn it all to the ground.

Kinda like Brazil on the men's side? It really is silly.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

habeasdorkus posted:

I think that's basically right, but Sweden definitely has a chance against Japan. It wasn't solely US ineptitude that sunk us.

The U.S. dominated the 3rd ranked team in the world, Sweden, who played a negative game start to finnish. Their 2 best strikers, and arguably best winger still at 35, Heath, were all out injured. Maybe you should stfu about ineptitude. it's your posts, oh the ineptitude

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

vyelkin posted:

no they played a negative game from start to swedish

Norway it happens again.

ozmunkeh posted:

These meltdowns are almost as funny as the time the US got knocked out of the 2023 World Cup.

Pretty sure it wasn't a meltdown. They've been dominant, today they lost, whiners should get over it. Funny old game, Inc.

edit- is there a melting down corncob smilie? Asking for a friend

Mr. Mambold fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Aug 9, 2023

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Just send England to the 3rd place match, pls.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

webmeister posted:

Disappointed we didn't win, but fair play - England were better and deservedly won. To be honest I thought England's first two goals were defensive lapses - nobody picked up Toone arriving late in the box, and Carpenter had a shocker not clearing that second goal. Third goal was whatever, we'd thrown people forward to chase the equaliser.

What an absolute worldie from Kerr, think you would've been able to hear that pretty much anywhere in the country.

Overall it's disappointing but still super proud of how well they've done overall. After that Nigeria result it looked dangerously like the wheels were going to come off, but they bounced back fantastically well.

They haven't bounced back from anything. Colombia and Australia wins were both via big defensive lapses. Colombia outplayed them and Aus were even up,imo. But, sometimes it's better to be lucky than good. Not saying England don't deserve to be there, but their wins have not been convincing to me. Spain, even missing stars are the most talented side, moreso than England, France, Sweden, America.

Dell_Zincht posted:

The England women's team is genuinely more fun to watch than the men's team though, that's a fact.

Well, in honesty, that's not saying much, but yeah.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

webmeister posted:

I'm talking about Australia's 3-2 loss to Nigeria in the group stage lol

Lol, gotcha. Nigeria gave England all they could handle too, they were legit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Thanks Ants posted:

Could easily have been a lot worse than 1-0, England never really showed up

Actually that was the real England that showed up. Maybe 4th best side in the tournament, but game as heck.

https://i.imgur.com/isIPl93.mp4
'
This lass kept them in it scorewise. Shades of that maniac U.S. keeper we've all forgotten by now.

Also props to Bronze for snubbing that poo poo Johnny Infant.