Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

mycatscrimes posted:

I'm coming around on VAR, it's been consistently very funny this tournament

the big thing for me is that it feels like they're getting faster. i dont hate reviews (necessarily) i just hate how loving slow they are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

mycatscrimes posted:

They were simply outplayed. Shame, but good on them for getting here. Maybe they'll come back stronger in four years.

And hell, it was a blast to watch Kgatlana.

outplayed is a strong word but the dutch definitely were way stronger in the second half. RSA feels like a team that's all speed, but they have good discipline behind it. both dutch goals were tough gives, and van domselaar showed her worth as a keeper - tons of great saves and smart plays.

it is very clear that south africa is criminally underrated

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

the dutch were definitely very sloppy though. they looked nothing like the insanely clinical team you saw in the first half against the US. way, way, way too many unforced errors and giveaways.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

i think that means she didnt save it

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

mycatscrimes posted:

Responding to a super old comment, but I definitely didn't mean that as a dig at SA. I would say in this match, they were outplayed but not that they are a low quality team, they just weren't able to get decisively past the Dutch defense and couldn't keep their own up, in this match, the Dutch managed to be the better team. But they were forced to work hard for it.

Also lol RIP the US, at least we finally remembered how to play soccer (if not how to finish) before we washed out. Looking forward to Sweden v Japan.

oh agreed. the dutch really took control in the second half. partly settling into a passing groove that didn't exist in the first (lots of sloppy giveaways), and partly neutralizing some of those SA forwards. i think injuries/subs probably hurt SA too. i agree with the other post that was along the lines of how you could tell the dutch were more experienced at managing games like this on a bigger stage.

but yeah, again, van domselaar did a hell of a job.

the US game is a funny one, the first game all tourney where it looked like the US were in control from start to finish, except they couldnt finish for poo poo lol. going out on penos is always a treat

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

whypick1 posted:

1. Italy proceeded to also not qualify for the 2022 WC, so maybe not the best example.
2. The USWNT eked out a bronze medal at the last Olympics where they also finished 2nd in their group and had their first knockout game decided by penalties (beating Netherlands instead of losing to Sweden, although Sweden kicked the poo poo out of them in the opening game if the Olympics 3-0). It's definitely not a blip.

idk #1 is kind of a good example of the volatility.

but i would agree that its not a blip, there's a trend that the dominance is coming to a close. i think internally the correct move is to be aware and try to course correct, but also not to knee jerk it. although the latter part depends on how you feel about the college system being the primary farm source - if you really really do not believe in it being the method to develop talent going into the future, then yeah, right now is the time to get some european style football academies set up and invest in them and start the kids as young as possible and abandon the college system. if you dont, then... you dont.

i'm saying this assuming that there are basically no football academies in the US for girls, and then maybe like 10 for boys

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Megamissen posted:

usa not winning their group screwed up the schedual for both usa and the netherlands

its been great for me, as the one dutch guy that actually lives in the us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Mr. Mambold posted:

Actually that was the real England that showed up. Maybe 4th best side in the tournament, but game as heck.

https://i.imgur.com/isIPl93.mp4
'
This lass kept them in it scorewise. Shades of that maniac U.S. keeper we've all forgotten by now.

Also props to Bronze for snubbing that poo poo Johnny Infant.

this is probably an overly harsh take on basically every team but i think england got kind of an easy route through the bracket