Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

whypick1 posted:

Let's not bicker and argue over whether or not it's coming home (because it's not, it's staying right where it is) and instead make fun of this ESPN article that says the US has the best looking kit out of all 32 teams (based on the blurb for the Dutch kits I'm pretty sure the author is colorblind, which explains a lot).

Trying to read the article on my phone, every one of the instagram posts is just a link to instagram

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

stab posted:

Lfg canada do better than the men

Low bar to clear i know

lmao

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

i've got the tsn commentary, are they decent? who has the best commentary team

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

that wasn't offside??

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

BBC talking about the canadian women's team money problems

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

what in the heck was that goal lmao

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

really unfortunate knee/foot to the face there after, all tangled up in the chaos

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

lmao was that the rear leg between the legs of buchanan ?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

a real chump posted:

Show the.lines you corrupt fuckers

they did, but they were confusing as gently caress tbh

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

how far back is my bbc stream? I just saw the goal now

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

canada look awful right now.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Grimson posted:

FIFA+ is unironically the way to go. The commentary has been pretty good all tournament also.

i have just signed up and can't find the game. is it only highlights and replays?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

stab posted:

We've always been frauds Op.

We won olympic gold without scoring in open play on the knockout stages lol

Canadian women are Greece 2000 Euro's

yeah that was my favourite part

Never concede and win it on penalties. insane defence

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Shrapnig posted:

You're missing the dynamic movement of a 40 year old striker who hasn't scored in over a year and has been roundly poo poo for half a decade

reminds me a bit of when tancredi was nearing the end and it was like watching someone run in slow motion

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

quadruple sub!

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Shrapnig posted:

So casual nobody was sure it's a goal lol

everyone waiting to see if it'll spin across

time for some concacaf shithousing

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

the team has been medium at best for a while. as fun as the olympic gold was there were a lot of problems scoring goals in that tournament

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

chapman hot mic hell yeah

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

The way it seems to come out as "twot" in a north american accent always gets me

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Canada big exposed here

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I don't mind grant getting told to go off there given it looked like she got hit in the head then stumbled to the ground. Seems responsible

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Once again a women's world cup where Canada have to go away and take a real long look at the program after underperforming.

Maybe the CSA will actual do somet- ahahahahahaha no

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Canada has been ranked way too high for a while. The rankings are dumb but places like the CBC will jam them into every article on international football that they can

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

MakaVillian posted:

They're by definition not utterly meaningless, flawed i'm sure, but clearly Canada is not in the top 10 only by virtue of winning a gold medal in Tokyo (against healthy full squads)

How about ELO rankings then?

https://www.economicsobservatory.com/predicting-the-womens-world-cup-is-football-coming-home-again

Even on this I see at least 4 teams I would rate to beat canada or at least run them drat close even though they're ranked lower. As other posters have said the fact that rankings by their nature have to go back a ways hide how rough canada has looked recently and how turnover has hurt the squad

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

MakaVillian posted:

A dip in form doesn't necessarily mean they don't have the talent of a top 10 team or shouldn't have been considered a top 10 team in the past.

sure, but I do not believe they have the talent and organisation to be considered one of the top 10 teams in the world anymore, and haven't considered them a top 10 team for a while. We can look at ELO or fifa rankings or whatever but it's all subjective assessments.

MakaVillian posted:

I'm not sure what part of 'poor recent form' you don't understand.

And I think i'll take the opinion of someone who creates flimsy arguments that are easily proven wrong and insists on a vibes-based system, with a grain of salt.

A good run of form doesn't necessarily mean they have the talent of a top 10 team or should have been considered a top 10 team in the past. It's easy to say these things lol

ilmucche fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jul 31, 2023

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I think Canada was a top 10 team and generally advanced in women’s football like a decade ago but this poo poo has been moving so fast in recent years. Lots of countries have caught and surpassed them, probably for good.

I still think a lot of the success ages ago came from the fact that canada had more opportunity for women to play, but as you say other more football dedicated countries have caught up. top 10 then, but sadly not anymore

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

If you struggle with the idea of subjectivity that's okay.

MakaVillian posted:

I agree with most of this, though not necessarily with the "for good" part. Soccer is more popular as it has ever been in Canada and hopefully the infrastructure will be improved in the future.

Hopefully, but the CSA does not offer a lot of hope considering how difficult it's been just to pay the players.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

that was a nice little turn to get that foul

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

holy poo poo

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

illegal throw hell yeah

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

drat that was a nice touch

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Another real nice one, wow

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Wowwwwwww

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I don't have sound. Was that chalked off for the forward casually strolling back with no interest in moving for the cross?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Brutal

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Lmao, cut to the screen and the first frame is the ball fully against her arm

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Yellow a bit harsh though.

The ITV commentators are extremely salty about this penalty

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Dell_Zincht posted:

They're right though, China are still clearly losing lol

Eh, can't think of any team that wouldn't celebrate being awarded a pen. Especially as a potential lifeline back into a game.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

england scoring some drat nice goals today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

TDepressionEarl posted:

Diani extends after a close handball called to the spot. No wonder the offending defender flinched, it looked like Diani was this close to kicking her head off.

I thought the handball was for the earlier touch off the header