Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
The Super Falcons are really fun to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
this has been a rough tournament for injuries so far

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
It's because our periods make our bodies unstable, resulting in knee injuries.

No seriously this is an actual thing people have claimed, women just get hurt more because of periods.

quote:

Dr Katrine Okholm Kryger is a senior lecturer in sports rehabilitation at St Mary’s University in Twickenham, London. She said many observations around ACL injuries among female players are often centered around “nature and nurture.” Nature, in this case, refers to the anatomy and biomechanics of women. Kryger thought too much blame had been placed on this factor.

“A common argument is that women’s menstrual cycle leads to fluctuating hormones, which makes them more physically unstable when playing,” Kryger said. “But research shows that there may be a slightly higher risk of injury during the ovulation period but that risk is really very minor.

“Also, if you’re on any hormonal contraception, that risk should be leveled out and many women players are on hormonal contraception, so it’s difficult to imagine that the menstrual cycle factor is the driving cause behind ACL injuries.”
https://www.cnn.com/2023/07/18/sport/womens-world-cup-acl-injury-spt-intl/index.html

Imagine being a doctor and having to rebut 'their periods are causing knee injuries".

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Good job to England, hope Walsh's recovery will be swift.

mycatscrimes fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Jul 28, 2023

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
It feels like refs gave been very quick to call Nigeria, Haiti, and South Africa for fouls in situations where their opponents get away uncalled. I have not seen Zambia play and can't speak for their treatment, and I obviously can't definitively say for sure it's what's happening because I'm not an expert or in the refs' shoes. It just has rough vibes.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Yeah part of the reason I mentioned it was to get a vibe check on if it's just in my head.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

a real chump posted:

The Aus coverage has Jess McDonald and she immediately pointed all that all red cards (until last night) were black players and the panel froze awkwardly lol.

oof

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
It'll be nice to see them advance, too, if they do. I've really enjoyed watching their games, they're an exciting team.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Golden Forehead award imo

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Love to see the keepaway game get dunked on.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
This is basically art.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

stab posted:

Well that couldnt have gone any worse in one half

sure it could have, they could have been Spain

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Dual Monarchy posted:

understandably no one is watching Ireland v Nigeria but that said it's been scoreless thus far and I'm really hoping Nigeria put in a screamer soon

I've switched over and the goalkeeper for Nigeria has been on the ground for a few minutes getting medical attention. Hope she's ok

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Looks like she's up again. C'mon Super Falcons

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
The bummer part is the only reason people gave a poo poo about women's soccer here is because they were good, and if they stop being good the whole country is going to stop giving a poo poo about women's soccer again. Breaks the little nine year old girl in me's heart.

Like, the conclusion isn't going to be 'we better invest more in NWSL and get them competitive again' it'll be 'actually women's soccer is a joke after all and we never should have cared'. :(

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Failed Imagineer posted:

That's a shame, but it's also really funny and speaks to the plastic heart that beats inside American supporters

Nah it speaks how loving sexist America is about women's sports, and the losers will be the girls and women who actually give a poo poo, not the general public that you're (rightfully) making fun of here.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Lol, our men's team.

Eh, sorry for being a downer, I'm not upset over people here getting their dunks in. It's been really great to see this tournament demonstrating a much more competitive field than ever. Like it's bad news for America and maybe for women's soccer here, but it's a great sign for women's soccer worldwide.

mycatscrimes fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Aug 1, 2023

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

edogawa rando posted:

In fairness, it's not exclusive to America. The women's national rugby union team in NZ are super popular, especially after winning the Rugby World Cup on home soil last year. Meanwhile, until shortly before the tournament, they were pretty much completely ignored, and treated as an afterthought, at best. The most galling thing was that everyone was agonising over the All Blacks not winning any world cups since 1987, and how oh dear oh my, when the women were winning 4 of their tournaments in a row.

I'm worried that the Football Ferns' failure to progress is going to be seen as the end of the road for them as far as the general public goes, rather than making the most of this opportunity to make women's football a thing here. I'd be delighted to be proven wrong.

For sure! It's always a bummer seeing a team get knocked out and knowing they were hoping for more exactly for that reason. I hope the Ferns don't suffer for it, and that having the tournament there will help keep momentum up for women's football in NZ!

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Terminally Bored posted:

Don't get me wrong, I like USWNT as people. Williams + Mewis are great in their podcast, I appreciate everything that Rapinoe does (she was a properly great player until about two years ago) but can't stand the almost jingoistic approach of their fans, especially since football/soccer is considered a feminine sport in the US. It comes out in the media too, like that Sophie Smith ad showing other players in outright fear of her. I'd love to see more money being given to women's football in America but it does seem unlikely.

Also, the US fans need a big reality check.

Lol no argument there.

If it makes a difference, as a fan I also think those commercials are stupid and obnoxious, as is Fox's chest-thumping coverage. People getting their dunks in here is well deserved. In retrospect I think my post came off like scolding people for having a laugh, my bad if so! It was just aimless venting, really.

mycatscrimes fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Aug 1, 2023

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Great day for underdogs today.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Hoping to see Panama again in four years :)

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Megamissen posted:

cmon morocco score a goal germany can still be eliminated

Great news

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

whypick1 posted:

I think FIFA ratings might be bullshit y'all...

It does look like the majority of the top ranked teams made it through, and the majority of the low ranked teams did not.

Otoh FIFA probably couldn't put out honest info even if they wanted to, so who's to say etc.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Love to watch Japan work

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Miyazawa!!

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Jean-Paul Shartre posted:

A weird tournament where Japan and Spain are the two best teams by the eye test* but one has already just savaged the other.

*Waiting for a game Sweden bosses not by virtue of infinite set piece goals scored by being taller.

They're gonna boss their next game by virtue of the US team not knowing what the gently caress they are doing. Smh

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Now I gotta find a way to get up at 3am on Friday

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

whypick1 posted:

That's the men's league though. NWSL is also playing through this break as well, but it's mostly a mid-season tourney separate from the regular season where teams would mostly be playing backups even if it wasn't during the World Cup.

Wish the streaming service I use for sports would show their games too.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Nice save

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Kgatlana sure can run!

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Don't like the way her foot went when she went down there

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
brutal :(

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Maybe Kgatlana can run so fast she becomes two Kgatlanas, that'd give South Africa an edge.

I almost believe she could do it, too.

mycatscrimes fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Aug 6, 2023

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
I'm coming around on VAR, it's been consistently very funny this tournament

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
oof

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
They were simply outplayed. Shame, but good on them for getting here. Maybe they'll come back stronger in four years.

And hell, it was a blast to watch Kgatlana.

mycatscrimes fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Aug 6, 2023

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Borsche69 posted:

outplayed is a strong word but the dutch definitely were way stronger in the second half. RSA feels like a team that's all speed, but they have good discipline behind it. both dutch goals were tough gives, and van domselaar showed her worth as a keeper - tons of great saves and smart plays.

it is very clear that south africa is criminally underrated

Responding to a super old comment, but I definitely didn't mean that as a dig at SA. I would say in this match, they were outplayed but not that they are a low quality team, they just weren't able to get decisively past the Dutch defense and couldn't keep their own up, in this match, the Dutch managed to be the better team. But they were forced to work hard for it.

Also lol RIP the US, at least we finally remembered how to play soccer (if not how to finish) before we washed out. Looking forward to Sweden v Japan.

mycatscrimes fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Aug 6, 2023

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

joepinetree posted:

Americans getting mad at "awesome goal keeper carries team that should have lost through" is just delicious.

Lmao weak. If I'm gonna get mad at anyone I'm gonna get mad at us for not putting a ball in the net during the game. We deserved that loss, Sweden is the team that should go forward.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Shinjobi posted:

It's just the poo poo I'm going to hear from a dumb sexist about it.

I try to tell myself the idiot sexists were just gonna find a way to be assholes no matter what. It is exhausting though.

But I think it's a kick in the rear end we needed, hopefully it's a learning experience.

(Also lmao at the idea that it's somehow racist to dunk on us.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
heartbreaking for Nigeria