Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Schweinhund posted:

My feedback is the mods need to look at the post history of people who post here and if their entire post history is talking about the something awful forum then just ignore them. These people are obsessed with drama and stirring up poo poo. They don't care about GBS except for it being a target for them to stir up poo poo and circlejerk over in the saga/legends thread. These people contribute nothing but negativity to the forum and their opinions on the forum are worth dirt.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Schweinhund is right though. They ignore anything they can't attack then focus on bullshit to create drama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Mekchu posted:

it would be a net positive in that you, or tarquinn specifically, would be able to talk with people who have feedback in a 'neutral' setting. but if you don't want to but expect people to come here and risk the same thing that just happened wrt to tarquinn/dw69 etc. then idk, seems sorta silly :shrug:

To me it's never been neutral, and that's where I think my issues lie. If there was some semblance of moderation there, where we could actually discuss the issues at hand and people who are over the line get probed, then I'd be all for it. My experience has been I post there, get the e-crap beaten out of me and nothing's resolved and it just spirals into a shitstorm and nothing's actually done about anyone who breaks the forum rules.

My experiences are different than others and I'll admit that QCS has colored my vision on those types of forums. SAD is marginally better for the most part but I still don't see a lot of moderation there, which is my big issue frankly.

Wendigee posted:

Schweinhund is right though. They ignore anything they can't attack then focus on bullshit to create drama.

It veered into vitriolic towards the end, and I'm going to set the boundaries of no warnings this time. I've been a bit lenient in previous versions of this thread.

pacerwpg
Apr 18, 2023

Mekchu posted:

there is no ulterior motives with that thread lmao

Omitting relatively important context and presenting the worst possible interpretation is very weird for an ostensibly neutral forum.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
GBS is pretty cool. I think we should keep it

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
What is the point of another one of these threads if all it does is create a space for people do drive-by interforums drama posts and every other person gets probed. Seems like a waste of everyone's time.

Thats my feedback.

ps free Nooner.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Seth Pecksniff posted:

To me it's never been neutral, and that's where I think my issues lie. If there was some semblance of moderation there, where we could actually discuss the issues at hand and people who are over the line get probed, then I'd be all for it. My experience has been I post there, get the e-crap beaten out of me and nothing's resolved and it just spirals into a shitstorm and nothing's actually done about anyone who breaks the forum rules.

My experiences are different than others and I'll admit that QCS has colored my vision on those types of forums. SAD is marginally better for the most part but I still don't see a lot of moderation there, which is my big issue frankly.

It veered into vitriolic towards the end, and I'm going to set the boundaries of no warnings this time. I've been a bit lenient in previous versions of this thread.

what are, if you have any on hand at the moment, examples of people who are over the line not getting probated? or people who break the forum rules there etc.

like in this thread and in the last gbs feedback thread, people are pushing the 'us vs them' narrative poo poo that people have pointed to as a problem with gbs (as well as other subforums/threads like the cspam covid thread as a quick example). they weren't probed or punished really for that until enough people called it out and so on.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Nooner will be free in six hours

The point of these threads is to deal with moderation issues as they arise so we can work towards resolutions. Frankly if we had a GBS posters only rule this thread would be unmanageable and I'm not sure that'd pass muster with the Powers That Be (tm)

Like I can't help who posts here but I do try to at least engage if nothing else

Mekchu posted:

what are, if you have any on hand at the moment, examples of people who are over the line not getting probated? or people who break the forum rules there etc.

like in this thread and in the last gbs feedback thread, people are pushing the 'us vs them' narrative poo poo that people have pointed to as a problem with gbs (as well as other subforums/threads like the cspam covid thread as a quick example). they weren't probed or punished really for that until enough people called it out and so on.

I don't want you to think I'm ignoring you because I just posted and I'm about to go to bed but I'll grab some examples tomorrow when I have some breaks

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

I agree with Seth that there is no point in engaging in the SAD threads. I took a peek this morning, and regret it. They now have two threads about this event, both going gangbusters, and have whipped themselves into a frenzy about one shitpost by Scroto Turboturd which they are misrepresenting as ableism and implying that all GBS mods (except Solefald somehow?) are in cahoots to let ableism run rampant in GBS. I haven't seen a single person try to present what happened in actual context, or even stop for a moment and think about whether all GBS mods being ableist scum is really the most likely explanation here or if there could be more to the story.

I don't know what the issue is. It's either intentional misrepresentation by people who live for drama, or conspiratorial thinking, or somehow only posters with the worst reading comprehension all congregate there. They seem to hang their hats on having rooted out the deviant art thread in the past as getting too gross. OK, great, stirring the poo poo may be useful sometimes. But I suspect that has more to do with a broken clock being right once per day. It's not useful or helpful to identify 100 out of the last 5 problematic posters.

I know we're not really supposed to talk about what happens elsewhere on the forums itt, but I'm just bringing this up to say I completely agree with Seth that SAD is not neutral. It has a cohort of regulars who hate him and want him removed, and they are capable of world class mental gymnastics.

pacerwpg
Apr 18, 2023
I would just like to say that I have reasons for doubting the SAD OP's commitment to fighting ableism.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4028862&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=269#post532332838

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bad Purchase posted:

I agree with Seth that there is no point in engaging in the SAD threads. I took a peek this morning, and regret it. They now have two threads about this event, both going gangbusters, and have whipped themselves into a frenzy about one shitpost by Scroto Turboturd which they are misrepresenting as ableism and implying that all GBS mods (except Solefald somehow?) are in cahoots to let ableism run rampant in GBS. I haven't seen a single person try to present what happened in actual context, or even stop for a moment and think about whether all GBS mods being ableist scum is really the most likely explanation here or if there could be more to the story.

I don't know what the issue is. It's either intentional misrepresentation by people who live for drama, or conspiratorial thinking, or somehow only posters with the worst reading comprehension all congregate there. They seem to hang their hats on having rooted out the deviant art thread in the past as getting too gross. OK, great, stirring the poo poo may be useful sometimes. But I suspect that has more to do with a broken clock being right once per day. It's not useful or helpful to identify 100 out of the last 5 problematic posters.

I know we're not really supposed to talk about what happens elsewhere on the forums itt, but I'm just bringing this up to say I completely agree with Seth that SAD is not neutral. It has a cohort of regulars who hate him and want him removed, and they are capable of world class mental gymnastics.
i think SAD hates him because hes a bad mod op

pacerwpg
Apr 18, 2023

Endorph posted:

i think SAD hates him because hes a bad mod op

Why weren't you speaking up when people in PYF were making ableist jokes about autism?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

pacerwpg posted:

Why weren't you speaking up when people in PYF were making ableist jokes about autism?

because Dracula isn't a real person

pacerwpg
Apr 18, 2023
Weird line to draw, but ok. It's harmful to repeat that somebody said they were autistic, but making rain man jokes is funny? Are autistic people not real to you?

pacerwpg fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jul 17, 2023

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

pentyne posted:

because Dracula isn't a real person

Just because a guy's undead doesn't mean you gotta talk about him like that.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if you cant tell the difference between singling out an actual person youre talking to and going 'he has autism!!!!!' and just making jokes about the bad guy from castlevania idk what to tell you. if you wanna say the latter is ableist sure i guess but im literally autistic and the first thing bugs me but not the second

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Schweinhund posted:

My feedback is the mods need to look at the post history of people who post here and if their entire post history is talking about the something awful forum then just ignore them. These people are obsessed with drama and stirring up poo poo. They don't care about GBS except for it being a target for them to stir up poo poo and circlejerk over in the saga/legends thread. These people contribute nothing but negativity to the forum and their opinions on the forum are worth dirt.

If someone's willing to gumshoe some "prior bad acts" posting history in a report or something, it shouldn't be taken without investigation, but going through that effort for a post is one of three things:
A) obvious and easy to point out because it happens all the time,
B) an offender who is bringing their off-forum context to bear such that another poster feels it should be investigated, or
C) someone doing way more work than at least GBS deserves just to stir the poo poo

Point A is self-explanatory, Point C is also fairly self-explanatory, the only fairly tough call is Point B, and that's :can: all on its own.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
My feedback is that we should all be friends and make good posts and just have a good time

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

got me 50 ounces out a bird in this bitch

pacerwpg posted:

I would just like to say that I have reasons for doubting the SAD OP's commitment to fighting ableism.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4028862&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=269#post532332838

did you read the thread? i don't think you read the thread

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Dick Fontaine posted:

some feedback for everybody: maybe try being a bit less bloodthirsty? like, you show up wherever saying it sucks, the people there suck, you hate them and you want them gone and that’s the only satisfaction you’ll accept…

it’s really weird and off putting. it feels stalky. it makes posting here extremely unpleasant. if you really care so much about the health of this community please stop that

jesus loving christ. it’s horrible

You are totally right

You even got poo poo on for this post

But you're right

pacerwpg
Apr 18, 2023

FirstnameLastname posted:

did you read the thread? i don't think you read the thread

God drat it, I thought I wasn't supposed to mention anybody's identity. Quite the pickle.

Edit: my bad to the mods, i'll just log off because there's a seemingly impossible set of standards to understand.

pacerwpg fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jul 17, 2023

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

pacerwpg posted:

going back weeks to find posts to discredit someone is sort of cringe

unless its when they said/did something absolutely funny like when harold fjord reported video games for posting a screenshot of one of harold fjord's hundreds of reports about thatlittledemon's posts in the dota 2 thread

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
gently caress you seth

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

im fringe

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

pacerwpg posted:

Weird line to draw, but ok. It's harmful to repeat that somebody said they were autistic, but making rain man jokes is funny? Are autistic people not real to you?

douche wolf 69 is an actual human being

rain man was a fictional movie

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

cringe sorry

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
It's funny how the group who always goes "heh it's not a crime to remember things" gets incredibly seethingly mad anytime someone notices or recalls literally anything they themselves do or say

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

anyway this is the last post ill make in here because my experience is that ill get blammed for saying something critical but my view isnt that SA should be free of stuff anyone could possibly find offensive. like those dracula joke arent A grade material but theyre pretty harmless, if stereotyped. my view is that people shouldnt be allowed to be equally lovely but disguise it under being progressive or right or w/e because they dont say the wrong words or dont make a joke they just say it. t that schrodinger trans thing from ages back, that guy who said people werent gay, the autistic thing, its all people thinking that theyre in the right when it comes to the game of identity politics because they dont say the bad things, even though their view of things is inherently warped. that bugs me way more than a joke about dracula liking trains.

i dont want the GBS mods decapitated or anything i just want them to sit down and think about what ableism, homophobia, transphobia, etc, actually are, because they're complex things that can be expressed in a variety of ways and be acted on even by people who fully think they dont have those opinions. my issue with 'wordfilter moderation' isnt not being allowed to say the forbidden words its that the mods seemingly do that and then think theyve solved the problem completely. part of the reason i dont post in GBS that much is genuinely because that stuff floods it but gets a pass because its coached in this or that veneer, and telling someone their view is warped gets you dogpiled half the time, or requires you to make yourself vulnerable to more of that kind of posting, or gets people trawling through your post history for a time you called a thread aids even though that isnt the point.

im sure some people are gonna think im shitstirring or being insincere or whatever but its truly how i feel, as someone whos gotten a lot of poo poo for my identity both in real life and Online, and as someone who was around on SA before the larger culture shift that took place around 2013-2016 when it came to this sort of thing. you dont have to agree but please at least try to get where im coming from. this goes for both mods and posters. ty.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

pacerwpg posted:

God drat it, I thought I wasn't supposed to mention anybody's identity. Quite the pickle.

are you really doing this after doing that

also has Tarquinn apologized to dw or said anything at all about this horseshit equivocation he made of other people saying aids making it okay to for posters to mock other posters in gbs for having autism and then mock them again in a fake apology

Tarquinn posted:

They have shown more remorse for their mistake than all of the gay/aids posters combined. Does this count for anything, or is it the principle of things that is the most important?

this is a bad look all around and you should be pretty ashamed of covering for it at sll while pretending to give a poo poo about bigotry and discrimination by caring more about enforcing a flat 'you can, in any context, only say words straight white dudes can say because there's no way to know, so we just have to assume that you're all straight white dudes and the rules for straight white dudes are the most important kind of rules so they supercede all other acceptable dialect, slang and vocabulary' rule for GBS

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

nobody mocked anyone for having autism, you're part of the problem here

see the several posts itt about the context of the post. it was a dumbass post, but it was obviously not mocking autism.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

pacerwpg posted:

Edit: my bad to the mods, i'll just log off because there's a seemingly impossible set of standards to understand.

Are you just trying to start poo poo? I don't see what else you can be doing here.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bad Purchase posted:

see the several posts itt about the context of the post. it was a dumbass post, but it was obviously not mocking autism.
even if it wasnt the intent its quite easy to get how it came across that way and a sixer is an extremely harmless punishment that could have just been allowed to stay. and it was spun into an attack on people disagreeing with them. i literally know the context of the post. as someone who Also has autism, it came across to me as mocking autism, especially when Tarquinn kept insisting on using it as a cudgel.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Bad Purchase posted:

I disagree and especially disagree that it was obviously not mocking. I also think it's weird how you've construed the situation so everyone who takes issue with it is a unified front of people, like this; "either intentional misrepresentation by people who live for drama, or conspiratorial thinking, or somehow only posters with the worst reading comprehension all congregate there. They seem to hang their hats on having rooted out the deviant art thread in the past as getting too gross. OK, great, stirring the poo poo may be useful sometimes. But I suspect that has more to do with a broken clock being right once per day. It's not useful or helpful to identify 100 out of the last 5 problematic posters."

You're saying everyone who disagrees with you is intentionally misunderstanding or have no reading comprehension and that seems really lovely! What makes you feel qualified to know everyone's intentions and thought processes going into this?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yeah the sixer being rescinded, the perceived ableism being double-downed on, and the moderator apologizing on behalf of the insulted party without consent absolutely made it worse, whether or not it was intentionally mocking.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bad Purchase posted:

I haven't seen a single person try to present what happened in actual context, or even stop for a moment and think about whether all GBS mods being ableist scum is really the most likely explanation here or if there could be more to the story.

well a) you could post there and present the context you see the posts as being made in/correct the context, b) tell us more about what more to the story is missing from or c) refuse to post any of that in the thread in sad and complain about them which just helps further the 'us vs them' sort of narrative/mentality because you labeled everyone in the thread as wanting a mods head when a fair number of people said 'just an apology for loving up so badly would suffice'

:shrug:

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i don't think it's easy to misinterpret if you actually read the context. i had no problem with it. i agree the probe should've stayed. at the very least it was weird to dig that info up even if it wasn't meant as a personal attack.

my best guess at the rationale behind the events would be something like:

1. Scroto makes the bad post
2. It gets reported, a mod reads it without context and probes it because without the context it looks worse than it was.
3. Scroto PMs the mod and say, hey it wasn't an attack, the person is actually autistic and explains what he meant.
4. The mod goes oh, my bad, and undoes the probe
5. Scroto makes an embarrassing apology because he realizes it came across in a way he didn't mean
6. All hell breaks loose

i don't know what actually happened behind the scenes, but for the probe to be undone, i assume PMs were involved

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bad Purchase posted:

i don't think it's easy to misinterpret if you actually read the context. i had no problem with it. i agree the probe should've stayed. at the very least it was weird to dig that info up even if it wasn't meant as a personal attack.

my best guess at the rationale behind the events would be something like:

1. Scroto makes the bad post
2. It gets reported, a mod reads it without context and probes it because without the context it looks worse than it was.
3. Scroto PMs the mod and say, hey it wasn't an attack, the person is actually autistic and explains what he meant.
4. The mod goes oh, my bad, and undoes the probe
5. Scroto makes an embarrassing apology because he realizes it came across in a way he didn't mean
6. All hell breaks loose
you're missing the step after 5 but before 6 of tarquinn going to bat for it and going 'heh, hes actually a better person than YOU' about it

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

oops, meant to edit my last post, not make a new one, but

Mekchu posted:

well a) you could post there and present the context you see the posts as being made in/correct the context, b) tell us more about what more to the story is missing from or c) refuse to post any of that in the thread in sad and complain about them which just helps further the 'us vs them' sort of narrative/mentality because you labeled everyone in the thread as wanting a mods head when a fair number of people said 'just an apology for loving up so badly would suffice'

:shrug:

i already did b) on the first page of the thread as did other people

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Perfect Potato posted:

It's funny how the group who always goes "heh it's not a crime to remember things" gets incredibly seethingly mad anytime someone notices or recalls literally anything they themselves do or say

pacerwpg posted:

you linked that post in your post and said that she wasn't posting in good faith - if you had read the post you're saying was a lie before pulling up your Busted screenshot of however,

so who's posting in good faith here?

have any of you considered that maybe, just maybe, if someone is a regular poster who doesn't do hosed up stuff, and they use some language or joke about something that straight white men without any neurological or health conditions can't in polite company, there's probably a pretty good chance that they might be a part of the group that can? Like on here since $10 and how long the average person's been here, probably way more likely than not?

Because if that's the case what does that make the people telling them they can't say it can someone help me out? Heroes, right?

like come on this is just stupid

mmmcurry
Sep 8, 2006
likes free food
GBS is a great place - it's like going to the mall. Good hustle team

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bad Purchase posted:

oops, meant to edit my last post, not make a new one, but

i already did b) on the first page of the thread as did other people

why don't you post that context into the sad thread then, where you said people aren't presenting the right context and are whipping themselves up into a frenzy by intentionally misrepresenting what happened?

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jul 17, 2023