Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

GBS is pretty okay overall. Better than it used to be.

I do feel like Tarquinn should feel dumb for overturning that probe because that was pretty stupid but I dunno that it needs anything more than the occasional reminder of what a bad decision that was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

I slept on this post because I really don't like giving out personal information online but woke up and am still feeling the same so:

With regards to word filter moderation, and not wanting to give out too many details about my life online, I'm under the queer umbrella and going to be extremely angry if someone calls me a fag. Calling things AIDS just feels gross. The company I work for does various support stuff for people with mental disabilities, it used to have the word "Retarded" in its title, and changed it several decades ago because it was insulting to our clients, and I work both alongside and with neuro-divergent people.

I'm only sharing even those personal details because I keep seeing people say that it's only straight, cis, neurotypical, etc. who are pearl-clutching about slurs, but some of them are directed at groups I'm a part of and I do find them incredibly insulting. Just because you personally don't, doesn't mean that's the case for the group they're directed at as a whole. If you're in a group chat or whatever talking to someone who you know doesn't give a poo poo it's whatever, but these are a public forum and personally, I'd rather not have people throwing them around like it's nothing, and would rather their use going unpunished after examining context be the exception rather than the rule, if for no other reason that it gives genuine bigots space to fly under the radar. Worst case it's a sixer if you get hit wrongly, who gives a gently caress?

I don't wanna associate or be associated with people who use any of that language.

While I was typing this and considering whether or not I actually wanted to post it Counted made their post where they said the same thing but maybe better. I'd rather gently caress off somewhere else than be around people throwing around slurs like it's nothing.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007

teemolover42069 posted:

I think people who repeatedly violate that rule should be ramped, it being a 6 hour probe no matter how many times you do it, and no matter how flagrantly, just turns it into a badge of honor for some people. Like it's almost a cute little thing, they get a little 'bonk' probation reason or whatever for six hours, the 150th one they've gotten for the same reason. That's not going to change anyone's behavior and it doesn't show that it's being taken seriously because it isn't. someone who calls someone the r slur on 50 different occasions should by then at least be getting more than a 6er. As it is, someone getting their 35th 6 hour probation for calling someone the r slur is more legitimizing it and establishing that it's actually fine way more than it is establishing that it's not fine.

Yeah I definitely mean for a first offense. I wish mods ramped people posting the same rule-breaking poo poo faster.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

i want to raise some points, from one "queer" person to another. im not here to score some dumb meaningless points or anything.

1) you can be upset or not upset at anything you want. no one is going to or even can take that from you. but at the same time, you have to recognize that those internal feelings are exactly that, internal. you can ask people to be mindful of them, and most probably will. but there is a limit to what you can ask of others. if someone is unable or unwilling to meet you at a level you find acceptable, thats something for you to grapple with. as a similar example, if someone on this forum had an extreme phobia of dogs, how much right do they have to ask that people with dog avatars have their avatars blanked? that people cant talk about dogs outside pet island? i would say very little. while the line is probably not going to end up at exactly that place for words that have at least history of being used hatefully, there is a point where it is still overstepping.

2) as a great illustration, queer is ALSO a slur. its a slur with as much hatred and history behind it as ones you take exception with. i know, because i have friends who feel that way. who are fine with other slurs being used against them like dyke, but not queer. if someone took offense to what you said in this thread on that basis, how would you respond? is the expectation ultimate deference to anyone who has any problem ever? or is it different when the words are slightly different? or the context is different? i of course am not going to call you a word you dont like, but i used the word fag in a post recently commenting on a true thing about the queer community. is speaking the truth in a non-hateful way out of line?

3) i am absolutely okay with any queer person speaking out about this. i would be a bad queer myself if i didnt. but the riposte to "you cant say only straight people care about this" is i CAN say that most of the people who have ipushed into this convo are. and between you and me, i care way more about the opinions of people like you and me than any number of straight people. they are immaterial. as a great example,

For what it's worth I believe most people in this thread are being genuine about how they feel, even those that I do think are here because they really hate GBS rather than because they care about these issues in particular.

1. I mostly just agree with you here, this entire debate is about where the line falls exactly on what language is appropriate where. Like how I ended my post, were I someone who had that extreme phobia of dogs, I wouldn't stick around a place that posts a ton of them. Similarly, I like the way it's handled on most of the forums now, if it's changed and that sort of posting becomes rampant I'm probably just gonna go somewhere else. Like, I get some people like the FYAD-style posting, but I don't so I stay out of FYAD. Not everywhere needs to have the same rules.

I was gonna separate 2. and 3. but they're mostly the same answer so

2/3. It also works similarly to Rust talking about how he feels about AIDS and Counted talking about different lived experiences. I don't think AIDS is a slur, just sorta gross to joke about. Queer was, from my perspective at least, reclaimed before I was even born, while I still hear awful poo poo said about "fags" by shithead straight people regularly. Again, the big thing is that it's a public forum and I'd want the rules to be in a place where people are less likely to get a chance to skate under the radar saying awful poo poo. No matter how much my friends and I love messaging "im gay" to each other, that's a fundamentally different dynamic to me calling them a big ol' queerbo while we're out getting food or something. If we're out grabbing a burger or something and I hear someone call a person they're sitting with a fag as a joke, my first assumption is that they're likely homophobic assholes rather than gay people outside of other evidence. I guess that's basically the thing, I'd rather the line be drawn in a place where unless you're doing something at the same time to make the context obvious, it's not okay. Not the end of the world, rules should be a guideline rather than hard and fast commandments.

And again another person has said what feels like I'm trying to say but less awkwardly. I agree with Nuebot where I've seen so many people gleefully doing their best to bend the rules (I mean mostly in places that aren't SA, it's part of why I like the rules as they are) so that they can use whatever offensive language they feel like at the time. Like an example that comes up a lot is one past iteration of D&D saying bigotry was okay so long as you could justify it in a debate. For me personally at least I'd rather a mod hit someone for using a slur or bigoted language and then apologize later if it turns out that it was a bad call than let stuff slip past. Getting probed isn't the end of the world.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007

Psycho Landlord posted:

I'm staying out of slurchat because I am a person that has zero place in it but one of the other broad points of contention here is that there seems to be a some sort of geas that prevents certain mods from doing the bolded part when it really would just be the simple fix, and that's bad

Yeah like, my first post in this thread was about how I think the current GBS mods are doing a decent job and I'm happy with how things are overall, but that a mistake was made and that it shouldn't be a huge deal to say as much. Tarquinn has been a good mod, and not saying something to the effect of "Yeah I hosed up, sorry" over something comparatively minor is more of an issue than the bad call was. I'm glad they apologized in PMs though, and I understand not wanting to post around a ton of people who hate you, these threads get insanely aggro for no good reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007

Twitter sucks but it seems weird to me to punish someone if something poo poo pops up later in a linked twitter thread, especially if it's in the replies. A link to a tweet can be posted and like, someone can post something awful in the replies to it twelve hours later without the goon who linked it having any way of knowing.

I'd love less of Twitter in general though.