Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
So I've been going down this youtube rabbit hole of old music that was popular but not the very highest rated. Like the songs that got tons of play for a while but haven't stuck around on typical playlists from the time. Observe:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3d02rbEx60U
If your parents listened to Oldies back in the day you might even remember the ones from the 50s. My mother watched a few of these videos with me and some she could still sing along with that i had never heard before. It was a blast seeing her get all nostalgic and the 90s and early 2000s stuff triggers my nostalgia super hard too. A lot of these songs are pretty under rated too, there's some that are shocking to me they weren't number 1. It's also fascinating how well the brain seems to store music.

What songs do you remember from the past that didn't quite make the cut for long term popular memory?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Fun fact, the video for She Blinded Me With Science pretty much ruined that professor dude's (Magnus Pyke, a sort of British Bill Nye at the time) life, since people wouldn't stop sneaking up on him and yelling "SCIENCE!"

I'm surprised that Feel So Good by Ma$e wasn't higher rated, considering how much I heard it at the time.

I still listen to Name by Goo Goo Dolls on occasion. It slaps. As does Coolio's 1, 2, 3, 4.

And Let it Go from Frozen wasn't #1? Are you loving kidding me? That song got so much play that it's become sentient.

Zugzwang fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jul 17, 2023

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

It took a good three decades for me to hear I'm Not going to Let it Bother Me Tonight on the radio again after it's heyday. The song is still my go to reference when someone talks about how bad it is now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ptItUeEpr4

Hub Dirt
Apr 26, 2008
Don't you just know it:
https://youtube.com/watch?v=3P3yqQ4vgHA&feature=share9

Hub Dirt
Apr 26, 2008
double post who cares? How was this never an absolute hit?
https://youtube.com/watch?v=NRVA2YBhrrQ&feature=share9

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.
Maine banned billboards in the 1970's, and obviously the entire state has benefited.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
:lol::lmao: the only way Garth Brooks could show up is with a Chris Gaines b-side

its actually sorta interesting, none of the :airquote: big acts :airquote: show up at all in their heyday - Michael Jackson doesn't show up until that lovely song with his sister.

EDIT

Train - Drops of Jupiter spent 53 weeks on the Billboard chart, only to peak at #5

Vampire Panties fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jul 17, 2023

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
Crank That apparently peaked at number 6 and as far as I knew it was only some goofy internet song that kids liked on youtube.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
There are a few mixed in that are the signature songs of huge artists and I'm wonder what kept them off the top of the chart. For instance Cream: Sunshine of your Love, Diana Ross: I'm Coming Out or Bieber: Baby.

Also Colio gets the first rap hit with a song I've never heard.

Also Young Turks is by far the best Rod Stewart song, not his signature though.

Bip Roberts fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jul 17, 2023

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

https://youtu.be/SNchTKdRs2A

This song by Tracey Ullman who wasn’t even a pop singer but god drat this is a great song and great video. I saw it on MTV back in the 80s but it was only on a couple of times then went away. It made a big impression on me. It’s a cover of an even more obscure song from the 70s. I have heard it in the grocery store as recently as the 2010s so it must still be in corporate playlist rotation.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
The counterpoint is songs that clearly mean an artist was too big like Hall and Oates: method of modern love (just garbage). No one else would chart that.

SA Forums Poster
Oct 13, 2018

You have to PAY to post on that forum?!?
I bet many of these hit #1 on specific charts, like RnB or Hip-hop. Just not on the general Billboard chart.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

I used to hear this all the time on the classic rock station from Chicago. I never realized this song had no real reach 100 miles outside of Chicago. I have actually driven on Lake Shore Drive while tripping.

https://youtu.be/0saZiLV7-7E

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Other note: Genesis, Phil Collins and Peter Gabriel had no number 5s despite having a ton of hits in the 80s.

Peter had two 4s
Phil had three 4s and a 6
Genesis had a 4, 6 and three 7s

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
A lot of songs kind of hit #1 on either non-Billboard, in Billboard sub-genres, or in non-US charts. I was going to say "LIfe is a Highway" and "Runaway Train", but they actually did hit #1 outside the US. Something like "Hazard" by Richard Marx hit #1, but only on the 'Adult Contemporary' chart, but not the main one.

In the vein of "Hazard": "Uncle Tom's Cabin" by Warrant. That song was everywhere for a few months. Huge MTV rotation airplay, lots of radio airplay, but it did far worse on the charts than the band's previous "I Saw Red" and "Cherry Pie" which despite their popularity never hit #1, either.

Michael Penn's "No Myth" never went higher than 13, despite winning MTV's 'best new artist' the year the song came out and still gets a lot of store radio airplay.

"Magnet and Steel" by Walter Egan seems like it has been so popular and constant AM and top 40 adult contemporary over the years that it should have had a #1, somewhere, but never did.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.

JediTalentAgent posted:

A lot of songs kind of hit #1 on either non-Billboard, in Billboard sub-genres, or in non-US charts. I was going to say "LIfe is a Highway" and "Runaway Train", but they actually did hit #1 outside the US. Something like "Hazard" by Richard Marx hit #1, but only on the 'Adult Contemporary' chart, but not the main one.

In the vein of "Hazard": "Uncle Tom's Cabin" by Warrant. That song was everywhere for a few months. Huge MTV rotation airplay, lots of radio airplay, but it did far worse on the charts than the band's previous "I Saw Red" and "Cherry Pie" which despite their popularity never hit #1, either.

Michael Penn's "No Myth" never went higher than 13, despite winning MTV's 'best new artist' the year the song came out and still gets a lot of store radio airplay.

"Magnet and Steel" by Walter Egan seems like it has been so popular and constant AM and top 40 adult contemporary over the years that it should have had a #1, somewhere, but never did.

This guy Billboards.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Bip Roberts posted:

The counterpoint is songs that clearly mean an artist was too big like Hall and Oates: method of modern love (just garbage). No one else would chart that.

Hall & Oates' cover of Family Man went to #6. Yeah.

Watching a bit of the #5s video:
- Del Shannon was a cut above in his era, but only a couple of songs of his even made oldies stations, back when they still included early 1960s. All the classic stations I listen to now are pretty much 80s-present, with exceptions for Queen's huge hits and the notable Led Zeppelin stuff.
- Donovan might have made it to #1 if he could have come up with any better name or title than Hurdy Gurdy Man.
- If you're not familiar with the story of Edision Lighthouse and Tony Burrows, it's a helluva story. Todd in the Shadows did a pretty good recap.
- For as huge as they were for a few years, Three Dog Night made absolutely no lasting impact..
- Rock & Roll Music was the first indication that the Beach Boys were all aboard cashing in on nostalgia. 95% of their output after was pure dreck. All those people who bought that single are the reason Mike Love is 82 years old and still acting like it's 1962.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
Mmm hurdy gurdy man is soo good

Going to listen tomorrow, ty for the link Dixville!

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

That's insane that Paradise City only hit number five considering how prevalent it still is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
theres a lot of songs like that it's weird. a lot of the poo poo you'll hear on classic rock stations would only hit like the top 10 it's odd