Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

https://www.theopen.com/

The Open returns to Royal Liverpool, perhaps better known as Hoylake. The last 2 times The Open was contested here had famous results: In 2014, Rory McIlroy won, and his father won a 500-to-1 wager he had placed when Rory was 15-years-old that his son would win The Open before the age of 26. Before that, in 2006, Tiger Woods famously won hitting one driver all week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29dVcxSNVqQ

Air Times (ET)
Thu/Fri: 1:30-4am Peacock, 4am-3pm USA, 3-4pm Peacock
Sat: 5-7am USA, 7-3pm NBC
Sun: 4-7am USA, 7-2pm NBC

There will also be streaming featured groups at https://www.theopen.com/

Marquee Tee Times (Thursday ET)
TBA

Odds (Draftkings as of 9am ET Monday)

Betting Pool
Pick an available player who isn't one of the top 10 betting favorites. Best finisher gets :20bux: from everyone else, runner-up(s) get their money back.

Josh Lyman: Dustin Johnson
The SituAsian: Jordan Spieth
Anno: Collin Morikawa
Shrapnig: Shane Lowry
BonoMan: Wyndham Clark
Douchebag: Keegan Bradley
mattfl: Max Homa
moose47: Robert MacIntyre
Mcqueen: Matt Fitzpatrick
Dr. Capco: Justin Rose
Kirios: Corey Connors
Kameh: Adam Scott
lloyol: Nick Taylor

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jul 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Jordan Spieth

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Morikawa

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Shane Lowry

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Wyndham Clark

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Keegan Bradley

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Max Homa

moose47
Oct 11, 2006

Robert MacIntyre

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
Matt Fitzpatrick, please.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
Justin Rose

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Corey Connors please!

Anno
May 10, 2017

I think the “Viktor Hovland is such a casual guy who gets put in these crazy ostentatious outfits” memes have gone too far

https://twitter.com/nuclrgolf/status/1681101754115534849?s=46&t=IW0MSOWK0Lh4VsB3wVLoOA

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

Anno posted:

I think the “Viktor Hovland is such a casual guy who gets put in these crazy ostentatious outfits” memes have gone too far

https://twitter.com/nuclrgolf/status/1681101754115534849?s=46&t=IW0MSOWK0Lh4VsB3wVLoOA

Just get the man a gabán.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
Adam Scott

lloyol
Jun 23, 2005

NARFZ

Shrapnig posted:

Shane Lowry

Just letting you know I screwed up my payment from the last tournament because I picked gmail instead of yahoo. I’ll resend right away.

And I’ll take Nick Taylor for this tournament

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

I'm honestly surprised today's scores aren't lower overall. The course layout doesn't seem too bad after watching Rick Shiels video where he played it a week or two ago. RIP Fowler going OB twice on 18.

Suprfli6 fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jul 20, 2023

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Suprfli6 posted:

I'm honestly surprised today's scores aren't lower overall. The course layout doesn't seem too bad after watching Rick Shiels video where he played it a week or two ago. RIP Fowler going OB twice on 18.

Narrow fairways and rough that basically means your dead is killing them I think.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Man I love Open featured groups. You always wind up with at least one older British guy who's just as happy to talk about the good ol' days than commentate the golf and doesn't give a poo poo about dunking on bad shots. It's excellent casual viewing.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

JT having an absolute meltdown on 18

edit: I wonder when the last time JT had a 9 on his scorecard :O

mattfl fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jul 20, 2023

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

mattfl posted:

JT having an absolute meltdown on 18
story of his year. He shouldn't be on the Ryder Cup team and that woulda been an insane take at the beginning of the year

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Rory no lol

Infomaniac
Jul 3, 2007
Support Cartographers Without Borders
One of the guys on Peacock coverage is ridding HARD for Rory. Like, "Rory's five off the lead - he's got them right where he wants them."

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
JT is the new Rickie :(

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Harman? More like Halfman.

Anyway, someone just hit a 210 meter 6 iron which is loving insane.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Let's go Homa you got this!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/KylePorterCBS/status/1682393567468179461

lmao

Anno
May 10, 2017

Hatton came to the 18th tee T11 and proceeded to send two OB off the tee and could conceivably be on the cut line after this hole lmao

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Yeah that’s a pretty understandable line considering his first two shots lol

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

2nd round update

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Koepka and Cantlay are together for the third day. Who'd have thought the Tour would be so petty and so brilliant as to pair them on Thurs/Fri, and have the scores line up so well as to keep them together.

Anno
May 10, 2017

drat have yourself a day Jon Rahm

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

drat Rahm

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Rahm is dialed in today. Rory and quite a few other guys off to good starts too, great golf being played.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Harman seems to have gotten it back. Don't see how he loses at this point tbh.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Yeah he’s playing well. He’s just so hard to watch with that pre shot routine. I think the guys at -5 and -6 still have a chance but only if Harman lets them back in it.

I really though Rory had a good round in him today after that start but nope.

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012
Yeah his pre-shot routine is really something.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

I hate that his putter head is as big as him

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012
No one’s getting putts in. Harman so far ahead

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

3rd round update

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Looks like The Weather decided to show up today. Should make things interesting.